* Access to backtraces from user-space tracepoint callback in perf-script?
@ 2014-04-29 15:44 Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2014-04-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hello,

today I played around with perf-script(-python) and custom tracepoints. What I
could not figure out so far is how to print a backtrace from the python
callback. Can someone explain me how this is done, or point me to the
documentation for this?

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de

* Re: Access to backtraces from user-space tracepoint callback in perf-script?
@ 2014-05-07 12:46 ` Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2014-05-07 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

On Tuesday 29 April 2014 17:44:54 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I played around with perf-script(-python) and custom tracepoints. What
> I could not figure out so far is how to print a backtrace from the python
> callback. Can someone explain me how this is done, or point me to the
> documentation for this?

Ping? Could someone help me here please?
--

@ 2014-05-14  0:33   ` Namhyung Kim
From: Namhyung Kim @ 2014-05-14  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milian Wolff; +Cc: linux-perf-users

Hi Milian,

On Wed, 07 May 2014 14:46:31 +0200, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2014 17:44:54 Milian Wolff wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> today I played around with perf-script(-python) and custom tracepoints. What
>> I could not figure out so far is how to print a backtrace from the python
>> callback. Can someone explain me how this is done, or point me to the
>> documentation for this?
>
> Ping? Could someone help me here please?

As far as I know it's not possible currently.. I vaguely recall that
there's a patch to support the feature but unfortunately it didn't get
reviews..

Thanks,
Namhyung

* Re: Access to backtraces from user-space tracepoint callback in perf-script?
@ 2014-05-14  8:47     ` Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2014-05-14  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

On Wednesday 14 May 2014 09:33:35 Namhyung Kim wrote:
> Hi Milian,
>
> On Wed, 07 May 2014 14:46:31 +0200, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 April 2014 17:44:54 Milian Wolff wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> today I played around with perf-script(-python) and custom tracepoints.
> >> What I could not figure out so far is how to print a backtrace from the
> >> python callback. Can someone explain me how this is done, or point me to
> >> the documentation for this?
> >
> > Ping? Could someone help me here please?
>
> As far as I know it's not possible currently.. I vaguely recall that
> there's a patch to support the feature but unfortunately it didn't get
> reviews..

Is it this one: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/3/217 ?

If so, could I kindly ask the perf developers to take a look at that? It would
be an immensely useful feature for third-party tool developers to have.

Cheers
--

@ 2014-05-16 15:57       ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-05-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milian Wolff; +Cc: linux-perf-users

Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> writes:

> [...]

While you wait, you might try systemtap, wherein there exists support
not just for plain C-level backtracing (print_ubacktrace() as for any
other program), but also python source-level backtracing (via a tapset
function).

https://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/#general/py2example.stp

- FChE

* Re: Access to backtraces from user-space tracepoint callback in perf-script?
@ 2014-05-17 11:24         ` Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2014-05-17 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: linux-perf-users

On Friday 16 May 2014 11:57:02 Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> writes:
> > [...]
>
> While you wait, you might try systemtap, wherein there exists support
> not just for plain C-level backtracing (print_ubacktrace() as for any
> other program), but also python source-level backtracing (via a tapset
> function).
>
> https://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/#general/py2example.stp

Hey,

thanks for the hint. But I never got SystemTap to work on any of my machines
:-/

For now I'll stick to manual libunwind + libbacktrace + LD_PRELOAD tracing.
But I'd love to see this available in perf eventually.

Bye
--

@ 2014-05-17 14:31           ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2014-05-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milian Wolff, Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: linux-perf-users

On 5/17/14, 5:24 AM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Friday 16 May 2014 11:57:02 Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> writes:
>>> [...]
>>
>> While you wait, you might try systemtap, wherein there exists support
>> not just for plain C-level backtracing (print_ubacktrace() as for any
>> other program), but also python source-level backtracing (via a tapset
>> function).
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/#general/py2example.stp
>
> Hey,
>
> thanks for the hint. But I never got SystemTap to work on any of my machines
> :-/
>
> For now I'll stick to manual libunwind + libbacktrace + LD_PRELOAD tracing.
> But I'd love to see this available in perf eventually.

Did you try the patch to perf? Does it give you access to the callchain
in python scripts like you want?

David