* Re: [Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] Distribution-independent printer driver package --first shot
       [not found] <3F62CBEE02D6404E98C65934617EB58201949FE6@fmsmsx414.amr.corp.intel.com>
@ 2007-02-05 17:09 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2007-02-05 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wichmann, Mats D; +Cc: printing-architecture, lsb-discuss

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> I have intendedly left it out as the LSB Build Environment
>> does not have an "lsb" package installed. It should have such a package
>
>> (meta-package?) installed so that you can install LSB packages in it.
>
> At least the lsb sample implementation (lsbsi) does or should
> have this.  I'm not sure of the thinking behind leaving it
> of the buildenv, if it wasn't just an omission. Wouldn't hurt
> to file a bug on this as a reminder.

On the sample implementation the RPM installation does not complain
about missing PPDs, but about missing directories:

bash-3.1# rpm -Uvh /tmp/work/splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         /opt is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
         /opt/lib/printdriver is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
         /opt/share/ppd is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
bash-3.1#

Once RPM should simply create the directories and not complain, and
second, all the directories are there, I have created them before trying
to install the RPM.

>> Why can I not use "Requires lsb >= 3.1", are the LSBs not backward
>> compatible?
>
> You can and should - at least at the moment when there's no
> such thing as a 3.2.  pkgchk is saying it didn't see this...

I have changed it to "lsb >= 3.1" now.

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] Distribution-independent printer driver package --first shot
       [not found] <3F62CBEE02D6404E98C65934617EB5820194A075@fmsmsx414.amr.corp.intel.com>
@ 2007-02-05 17:53 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2007-02-05 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wichmann, Mats D; +Cc: printing-architecture, lsb-discuss

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> On the sample implementation the RPM installation does not complain
>> about missing PPDs, but about missing directories:

>> ---------
>> bash-3.1# rpm -Uvh /tmp/work/splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>         /opt is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
>>         /opt/lib/printdriver is needed by
>> splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
>>         /opt/share/ppd is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
>> bash-3.1#
>
>> Once RPM should simply create the directories and not complain, and
>> second, all the directories are there, I have created them
>> before trying to install the RPM.
>
> this is caused by a moderately recent change to upstream rpm.
> everything now has to be "owned", so creating the directories
> before installing the rpm is not sufficient, they actually have
> to be in the rpm database as belonging to some package.

I can make an RPM providing the printing-related directories, but which
package should own /opt then? This should be corrected in build
environment and sample implementation. We need to somehow conserve the
possibility to install software with RPM.

RPM in FC6 does not yet require all directories to be owned by an RPM
package. Should we add something to the LSB so that installing with RPM
keeps working, also if the distro as the new RPM? Does RPM have a
command line switch to get back to the old behavior?

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] Distribution-independent printer driver package --first shot
       [not found] <3F62CBEE02D6404E98C65934617EB58201949F94@fmsmsx414.amr.corp.intel.com>
@ 2007-02-05 16:32 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2007-02-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wichmann, Mats D; +Cc: printing-architecture, lsb-discuss

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> This error is real:
>
>> Error: Didn't see expected dependency lsb=3.1
>
> while you say "it should work on any modern distro fulfilling
> LSB 3.1" pkgchk thinks you didn't build the package with that
> requirement.

I have intendedly left it out as the LSB Build Environment does not have
an "lsb" package installed. It should have such a package
(meta-package?) installed so that you can install LSB packages in it.

Why can I not use "Requires lsb >= 3.1", are the LSBs not backward
compatible? A package made for LSB 3.1 should also work under LSB 3.2.
Or will the LSB 3.2 package contain "Provides: lsb 3.1, lsb 3.0"?

    Till