* multiple allocation for vmcs or am i missing something.
@ 2007-02-08 15:21 Manish Regmi
       [not found] ` <652016d30702080721n5dd5a848ib4fa56fd1757148b-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Manish Regmi @ 2007-02-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

When kvm initializes, it calls hardware_setup which calls
alloc_kvm_area which allocates vmcs for each online processor and
stores the pointer in percpu basis.

Later when vmx_create_vcpu is called, the vmcs area is allocated
(again) and this time for the cpu the code is currently executing on.
possibly it is already allocated.

Is this a bug or i am missing something.

regards
Manish Regmi

* Re: multiple allocation for vmcs or am i missing something.
       [not found] ` <652016d30702080721n5dd5a848ib4fa56fd1757148b-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-08 15:36   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2007-02-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Regmi; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Manish Regmi wrote:
> When kvm initializes, it calls hardware_setup which calls
> alloc_kvm_area which allocates vmcs for each online processor and
> stores the pointer in percpu basis.

VT requires a per-cpu page to store the host state in when VMLAUNCH is
executed.  This is the host save area and it's passed to the VMXON
instruction in hardware_enable().  It's the VMCS for the host.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2007-02-09  8:08   ` Guillaume Thouvenin
       [not found]     ` <20070209090833.334b45bb-okVqAf2pJUEUMgAS9GT5UVaPQRlvutdw@public.gmane.org>
From: Guillaume Thouvenin @ 2007-02-09  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Regmi; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:06:37 +0545
"Manish Regmi" <regmi.manish-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Later when vmx_create_vcpu is called, the vmcs area is allocated
> (again) and this time for the cpu the code is currently executing on.
> possibly it is already allocated.
>
> Is this a bug or i am missing something.

Hello,

 I don't see where vmx_create_vcpu is called again. I think that it is
called only once from 'r = kvm_arch_ops->vcpu_create(vcpu)'. Thus I don't
think that vmcs area is allocated twice for each vcpu.

Regards,
Guillaume

@ 2007-02-09  8:26       ` Manish Regmi
From: Manish Regmi @ 2007-02-09  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Thouvenin; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On 2/9/07, Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin-6ktuUTfB/bM@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I don't see where vmx_create_vcpu is called again. I think that it is
> called only once from 'r = kvm_arch_ops->vcpu_create(vcpu)'. Thus I don't
> think that vmcs area is allocated twice for each vcpu.
>
> Regards,
> Guillaume

I was was confused when alloc_vmcs_cpu was called twice while
hardware_setup and vmx_create_vcpu.

it is clear to me now.

thanks...

regards