* a whitelist for outgoing syn port 80, 443 traffic for hosting
@ 2007-02-07 17:23 Ken A
From: Ken A @ 2007-02-07 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

Hello,

Is anyone aware of a whitelist of hostnames of port 80,443 OUTGOING
traffic that should be considered 'normal' in a hosting environment?
ie: SYN traffic to ups.com, authorize.net, technorati, for ecommerce,
blogging, etc..

Categorizing traffic as good/bad is useful in this day of many php
remote file include bugs.

Thanks,

Ken A.
Pacific.Net

* Re: a whitelist for outgoing syn port 80, 443 traffic for hosting
@ 2007-02-07 18:40 ` franck
From: franck @ 2007-02-07 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

* Re: a whitelist for outgoing syn port 80, 443 traffic for hosting
@ 2007-02-07 19:05   ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2007-02-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

franck wrote:
> Maybe this is what you are looking for :
>
> http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/

This list appears to be hosts that are suppose to be avoided, not hosts
that are safe to contact.  BIG difference.

Grant. . . .

* Re: a whitelist for outgoing syn port 80, 443 traffic for hosting
@ 2007-02-07 19:09   ` Ken A
From: Ken A @ 2007-02-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

@ 2007-02-07 20:24     ` franck
From: franck @ 2007-02-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

@ 2007-02-08 18:15       ` R. DuFresne
From: R. DuFresne @ 2007-02-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: franck; +Cc: Mail List - Netfilter

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, franck wrote:

> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--

>> Maybe this is what you are looking for :
>>
>> http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/
>>
>>> Thanks, but I'm looking for a whitelist for a fairly wide range of web
>>> applications, not a blacklist. There are plenty of good blacklists out
>>> there. surbl.org, uribl.com , etc. :-)
>>> Ken
>

> As a matter of fact, I thought something you can put in a blacklist
> could be useful, because it cannot be in the whitelist you are looking
> for. But, thinking about it again, it is quite clear I would prefer a
> small whitelist rather than a very huge blacklist.

Would this not require that one beable to conclude that such "whitelist"
ensures tha the hosts in it are "secure"  have never been compromised, and
never will be compromised?  If this is what is sought, such a list would
be impossible to build.  It is not possible to ensure the integrity of a
system over time, only at a point in time to the dregree the server was
audited to.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
- --
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
         admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                         http://sysinfo.com
Key fingerprint = 9401 4B13 B918 164C 647A  E838 B2DF AFCC 94B0 6629

...We waste time looking for the perfect lover
instead of creating the perfect love.

                 -Tom Robbins <Still Life With Woodpecker>

* Re: a whitelist for outgoing syn port 80, 443 traffic for hosting
@ 2007-02-08 19:04         ` Ken A
From: Ken A @ 2007-02-08 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

R. DuFresne wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, franck wrote:
>
>> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--

>>> Maybe this is what you are looking for :
>>>
>>> http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/

>> As a matter of fact, I thought something you can put in a blacklist
>> could be useful, because it cannot be in the whitelist you are looking
>> for. But, thinking about it again, it is quite clear I would prefer a
>> small whitelist rather than a very huge blacklist.
>>

> Would this not require that one beable to conclude that such "whitelist"
> ensures tha the hosts in it are "secure"  have never been compromised,
> and never will be compromised?   If this is what is sought, such a list
> would be impossible to build.

What I need is a list of hosts that are commonly connected to via port
80,443 by common web applications in a common web hosting environment,
with blogs & shopping carts. Perhaps 'whitelist' was a bad choice of
words? I don't think the DoD would use this list. The security of remote
systems in such a list is of significant importance, but, the difference
between allowing outgoing SYN packets to ups.com as opposed to
geocities.com is level of trust.

Ken A.
Pacific.Net