* [linux-lvm] replacing a failling disk on a mirrred VG.
@ 2007-02-04 18:53 Georges Giralt
From: Georges Giralt @ 2007-02-04 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Hi !
I run A Fedora Core 6 box with
lvm> version
   LVM version:     2.02.17 (2006-12-14)
   Library version: 1.02.13 (2006-11-28)
   Driver version:  4.10.0
lvm>
on a 2.6.19 kernel.
My VG comprises 3PV  onto which I've spread 4 mirrored LVs.
PV 0 : LV1 mirror copy 0, LV2 mirror copy 0, lv3 mirror copy 0 and lv4
mirror copy 0
PV 1 : LV1 mirror copy 1, LV2 mirror log, LV3 mirror log and LV4 mirror
copy 1
PV2 : LV1 mirror log, LV2 mirror copy 1 , LV3 mirror copy 1 and LV4
mirror log.
I plan to replace (Smart signals a future failure) the PV #1.
Question : What is the best route to do this ? And is it feasible ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your answer !
--
Ce message est constitu� d'au moins 50 % d'�lectrons recycl�s.
S'il vous pla�t, aidez nous � conserver nos ressources,

* Re: [linux-lvm] replacing a failling disk on a mirrred VG.
@ 2007-02-06 13:40 ` Jonathan E Brassow
From: Jonathan E Brassow @ 2007-02-06 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

This one should be pretty easy...

Effectively, you want to keep the primary mirror devices, so do:
lvconvert -m0 <vg/lv>
to down convert them to linear devices.

Then remove PV1 (vgreduce), add a new disk to your system, add it to
your vg (vgextend), and finally, up-convert the linear devices to
mirrors again:
lvconvert -m1 <vg/lv>

  brassow

@ 2007-02-06 17:41   ` Steve Wray
From: Steve Wray @ 2007-02-06 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Jonathan E Brassow wrote:
> This one should be pretty easy...
>
> Effectively, you want to keep the primary mirror devices, so do:
> lvconvert -m0 <vg/lv>
> to down convert them to linear devices.
>
> Then remove PV1 (vgreduce), add a new disk to your system, add it to
> your vg (vgextend), and finally, up-convert the linear devices to
> mirrors again:
> lvconvert -m1 <vg/lv>

So you can't just add a new disk and use pvmove to move extents off of
the failing disk?

@ 2007-02-08  8:51     ` Jonathan E Brassow
From: Jonathan E Brassow @ 2007-02-08  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, steve

On Feb 6, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Steve Wray wrote:

> Jonathan E Brassow wrote:
>> This one should be pretty easy...
>> Effectively, you want to keep the primary mirror devices, so do:
>> lvconvert -m0 <vg/lv>
>> to down convert them to linear devices.
>> Then remove PV1 (vgreduce), add a new disk to your system, add it to
>> your vg (vgextend), and finally, up-convert the linear devices to
>> mirrors again:
>> lvconvert -m1 <vg/lv>
>
> So you can't just add a new disk and use pvmove to move extents off of
> the failing disk?

You could if it was a linear device, but we are still working on the
proper stacking of mirrors.

  brassow

* Re: [linux-lvm] replacing a failling disk on a mirrred VG.
@ 2007-02-08 20:36   ` Georges Giralt
From: Georges Giralt @ 2007-02-08 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Jonathan E Brassow a �crit :
> This one should be pretty easy...
>
> Effectively, you want to keep the primary mirror devices, so do:
> lvconvert -m0 <vg/lv>
> to down convert them to linear devices.
>
> Then remove PV1 (vgreduce), add a new disk to your system, add it to
> your vg (vgextend), and finally, up-convert the linear devices to
> mirrors again:
> lvconvert -m1 <vg/lv>
>
>  brassow
>
> On Feb 4, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Georges Giralt wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>> I run A Fedora Core 6 box with
>> lvm> version
>>   LVM version:     2.02.17 (2006-12-14)
>>   Library version: 1.02.13 (2006-11-28)
>>   Driver version:  4.10.0
>> lvm>
>> on a 2.6.19 kernel.
>> My VG comprises 3PV  onto which I've spread 4 mirrored LVs.
>> PV 0 : LV1 mirror copy 0, LV2 mirror copy 0, lv3 mirror copy 0 and lv4
>> mirror copy 0
>> PV 1 : LV1 mirror copy 1, LV2 mirror log, LV3 mirror log and LV4
>> mirror copy 1
>> PV2 : LV1 mirror log, LV2 mirror copy 1 , LV3 mirror copy 1 and LV4
>> mirror log.
>> I plan to replace (Smart signals a future failure) the PV #1.
>> Question : What is the best route to do this ? And is it feasible ?
>> Thanks a lot in advance for your answer !
Hi Brassov !
Your method was like a walk in a park.
Thanks !