* Small problem with kernel 2.6.20 and make menuconfig
@ 2007-02-13  9:17 Dominic Newton
From: Dominic Newton @ 2007-02-13  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Just a small issue with the latest kernel 2.6.20. When compiling make
menuconfig our ncurses library is not being detected. I currently use
2.6.15 with no problem and comparing the 2 I found a script (
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh ) in the lxdialog directory
that checks for the ncurses lib and sets compiler flags. For some reason
it will not find the ncurses library and thus menuconfig will not
compile and run.

I have ncurses installed (and symlinked) in the usual locations (/lib,
/usr/lib, /usr/include). I tried compiling the stock kernel in various
locations ( /, /usr /usr/src ) - same problem every time. I fixed the
problem by editing the scripts/kconfig/Makefile line 88-89 to ignore the
script and set HOST_EXTRACFLAGS = -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" and
HOST_LOADLIBES = -lncurses.

menuconfig runs perfectly now ! I'm hopeless at scripts which is why I
gave up trying to get check-lxdialog.sh to work properly - sorry...

Any queries please let me know,

Regards

Dominic Newton

* Re: Small problem with kernel 2.6.20 and make menuconfig
@ 2007-02-13 17:15 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2007-02-13 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominic Newton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:17:51 +0000 Dominic Newton wrote:

> Just a small issue with the latest kernel 2.6.20. When compiling make
> menuconfig our ncurses library is not being detected. I currently use
> 2.6.15 with no problem and comparing the 2 I found a script (
> scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh ) in the lxdialog directory
> that checks for the ncurses lib and sets compiler flags. For some reason
> it will not find the ncurses library and thus menuconfig will not
> compile and run.
>

> I have ncurses installed (and symlinked) in the usual locations (/lib,
> /usr/lib, /usr/include). I tried compiling the stock kernel in various
> locations ( /, /usr /usr/src ) - same problem every time. I fixed the
> problem by editing the scripts/kconfig/Makefile line 88-89 to ignore the
> script and set HOST_EXTRACFLAGS = -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" and
> HOST_LOADLIBES = -lncurses.
>
> menuconfig runs perfectly now ! I'm hopeless at scripts which is why I
> gave up trying to get check-lxdialog.sh to work properly - sorry...
>
> Any queries please let me know,

What does this print?  (from top of linux source tree)

$ sh scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh -ccflags

and
$ sh scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh -ldflags gcc

---
~Randy