* iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-14 12:53 Tim Perton
From: Tim Perton @ 2007-02-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Dear friends,
I have a web server running on system B. I run my main
services to System B but I do not want my users to
talk to system B directly.
So I have another server (System A) in a differrent
ISP & a completely different C class IP address like
below:

-----------------------------
--- System A (IP=a.b.c.d) ---
-----------------------------

-----------------------------
--- System B (IP=e.f.g.h) ---
-----------------------------

System A runs iptables(redhat EL4).

I want my users to do a request like
http://a.b.c.d/1.php and then machine A to make the
same request to System B, get the results and send
them back to the user transparently.
Practically System A to act as an intermediatery to
the real machine (System B).

Any idea on how to do this?

Regards,
Tim Perton

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-14 13:08 ` Rodrigo Montoro (Sp0oKeR)
From: Rodrigo Montoro (Sp0oKeR) @ 2007-02-14 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Perton; +Cc: netfilter

   I don' t think iptables is your best option for that.
   Try mod_security, mod_rewrite or apache proxy .

Regards,

On 2/14/07, Tim Perton <grpanosgr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I have a web server running on system B. I run my main
> services to System B but I do not want my users to
> talk to system B directly.
> So I have another server (System A) in a differrent
> ISP & a completely different C class IP address like
> below:
>
> -----------------------------
> --- System A (IP=a.b.c.d) ---
> -----------------------------
>
> -----------------------------
> --- System B (IP=e.f.g.h) ---
> -----------------------------
>
> System A runs iptables(redhat EL4).
>
> I want my users to do a request like
> http://a.b.c.d/1.php and then machine A to make the
> same request to System B, get the results and send
> them back to the user transparently.
> Practically System A to act as an intermediatery to
> the real machine (System B).
>
> Any idea on how to do this?
>
> Regards,
> Tim Perton

> Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate

=====================
 Rodrigo Ribeiro Montoro
Desenvolvedor BRMAlinux
  spooker@brc.com.br
       RHCE/LPIC-I
=====================

* RE: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-14 14:40   ` Rob Sterenborg
From: Rob Sterenborg @ 2007-02-14 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

netfilter-bounces@lists.netfilter.org wrote:
>    I don't think iptables is your best option for that.
>    Try mod_security, mod_rewrite or apache proxy .

Or Squid.

Grts,
Rob

@ 2007-02-14 14:43   ` Robert LeBlanc
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2007-02-14 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Squid would also do this for you.

Robert LeBlanc

__

@ 2007-02-14 15:42 ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2007-02-14 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

Tim Perton wrote:
> I want my users to do a request like
> http://a.b.c.d/1.php and then machine A to make the
> same request to System B, get the results and send
> them back to the user transparently.

Technically you can do what you are wanting to do.  However there are a
few caveats that you need to be aware of when doing such.

1)  System B will see System A as the connecting host, not the real client.
2)  If System B is not ""behind System A (as you have described it to
not be) it will have to send the traffic back to System A which will
then send the traffic back to the client.  Translation, System B can not
send the traffic directly to the client with out breaking the TCP
connection state on the client.
3)  System A will be using more bandwidth by doing this.

If all the above are ok with you, consider doing the following on system A.

# Port forward web traffic originally to System A over to System B.
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $INet -d $SystemA_IP -p tcp --dport 80
-j DNAT --to-destination $SystemB_IP:$SystemB_Port
# SNAT traffic to System B's web server to appear to be from System A.
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INet -d $SystemB_IP -p tcp --dport
$SystemB_Port -j SNAT --to-source $SystemA_IP

If you have any questions, ask.

Grant. . . .

* RE: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-14 15:44     ` Tim Perton
From: Tim Perton @ 2007-02-14 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Thank you all for your quick reply.
Ok for web traffic squid is fine.
But if I have a binary socket input/output thread and
want to pass them transparently between the user and
System B through System A, i think that only iptables
can do that in tcp layer.

Any ideas on this?

Tim

--- Robert LeBlanc <robert@leblancnet.us> wrote:

> Squid would also do this for you.
>
> Robert LeBlanc

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-14 16:36   ` Tim Perton
From: Tim Perton @ 2007-02-14 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: gtaylor

Dear Grant,
thank you very much for your quick reply.

I agree to the 3 conditions/caveats in your previous
email. I have already tried an example on this.
Let's say I want to connect to www.google.com
(216.239.59.103) so System B is www.google.com

According to your example I issue the following
commands (after stop/start iptables to be fresh):

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1099 -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d a.b.c.d -p
tcp --dport 1099 -j DNAT --to-destination
216.239.59.103:80

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d
216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 1099 -j SNAT --to-source
a.b.c.d

I am trying http://a.b.c.d:1099  or with telnet
a.b.c.d 1099 (Trying a.b.c.d... telnet: Unable to
connect to remote host: Connection refused)

My regards,
Tim

--- Grant Taylor <gtaylor@riverviewtech.net> wrote:

> Tim Perton wrote:
> > I want my users to do a request like
> > http://a.b.c.d/1.php and then machine A to make
> the
> > same request to System B, get the results and send
> > them back to the user transparently.
>
> Technically you can do what you are wanting to do.
> However there are a
> few caveats that you need to be aware of when doing
> such.
>
> 1)  System B will see System A as the connecting
> host, not the real client.
> 2)  If System B is not ""behind System A (as you
> have described it to
> not be) it will have to send the traffic back to
> System A which will
> then send the traffic back to the client.
> Translation, System B can not
> send the traffic directly to the client with out
> breaking the TCP
> connection state on the client.
> 3)  System A will be using more bandwidth by doing
> this.
>
> If all the above are ok with you, consider doing the
> following on system A.
>
> # Port forward web traffic originally to System A
> over to System B.
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $INet -d
> $SystemA_IP -p tcp --dport 80
> -j DNAT --to-destination $SystemB_IP:$SystemB_Port
> # SNAT traffic to System B's web server to appear to
> be from System A.
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INet -d
> $SystemB_IP -p tcp --dport
> $SystemB_Port -j SNAT --to-source $SystemA_IP
>
> If you have any questions, ask.
>

> Grant. . . .

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-14 17:59     ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2007-02-14 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

Tim Perton wrote:
> Dear Grant,
> thank you very much for your quick reply.

You are welcome.

> I agree to the 3 conditions/caveats in your previous
> email. I have already tried an example on this.
> Let's say I want to connect to www.google.com
> (216.239.59.103) so System B is www.google.com

Ok.

> According to your example I issue the following
> commands (after stop/start iptables to be fresh):
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1099 -j ACCEPT

What filtering do you have in place?  If you do not have default
policies of ACCEPT, you will also need to add rules to your
filter:FORWARD chain to allow this traffic to pass through.  I.e.

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -d 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 80
-j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -s 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --sport 80
-j ACCEPT

> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d a.b.c.d -p
> tcp --dport 1099 -j DNAT --to-destination
> 216.239.59.103:80
>
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d
> 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 1099 -j SNAT --to-source
> a.b.c.d

These commands look ok to me.

> I am trying http://a.b.c.d:1099  or with telnet
> a.b.c.d 1099 (Trying a.b.c.d... telnet: Unable to
> connect to remote host: Connection refused)

I think you will have better luck playing with telnet to start with.
Keep in mind that just because you enter "http://a.b.c.d..." in your web
browser, you are doing more than connecting to that address.  You are
also asking for a page off of the domain a.b.c.d.  So for testing, I'd
stick with telnet, or set up a temporary hosts entry for the test domain.

Grant. . . .

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-15 10:55   ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2007-02-15 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

Hello,

Grant Taylor a écrit :
> Tim Perton wrote:
>
>> I want my users to do a request like
>> http://a.b.c.d/1.php and then machine A to make the
>> same request to System B, get the results and send
>> them back to the user transparently.
>
> Technically you can do what you are wanting to do.  However there are a
> few caveats that you need to be aware of when doing such.
>
> 1)  System B will see System A as the connecting host, not the real client.

This can be avoided. See below.

> 2)  If System B is not ""behind System A (as you have described it to
> not be) it will have to send the traffic back to System A which will
> then send the traffic back to the client.

This is the reason of the 1). In order for B to send replies to A, A has
to SNAT the forwarded connection with its own IP address. Unless you set
up some tunnel or VPN between A and B and use it for the forwarded
connexions (in both direction, so it may involve some advanced routing
on A for return traffic), making B virtually "behind" A.

client ---internet--- system A (NAT) ===tunnel=== system B (server)

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-15 14:28       ` Tim Perton
From: Tim Perton @ 2007-02-15 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gtaylor+reply, Mail List - Netfilter

I tried the forward rules too but nothing.
Still telnet a.b.c.d 1099 does not work after issuing
the following commands(no other firewalling made to
prohibit packets):

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1099 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -d 216.239.59.103
-p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -s 216.239.59.103
-p tcp --sport 80 -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d a.b.c.d -p
tcp --dport 1099 -j DNAT --to-destination
216.239.59.103:80
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d
216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 1099 -j SNAT --to-source
a.b.c.d

Telnet gives:
telnet a.b.c.d 1099
Trying a.b.c.d...
telnet: connect to address a.b.c.d: Operation timed
out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Is it a good idea to accept all udp packets too? I do
not know.

Has anyone used those rules and worked?

Tim.

--- Grant Taylor <gtaylor@riverviewtech.net> wrote:

> Tim Perton wrote:
> > Dear Grant,
> > thank you very much for your quick reply.
>
> You are welcome.
>
> > I agree to the 3 conditions/caveats in your
> previous
> > email. I have already tried an example on this.
> > Let's say I want to connect to www.google.com
> > (216.239.59.103) so System B is www.google.com
>
> Ok.
>
> > According to your example I issue the following
> > commands (after stop/start iptables to be fresh):
> >
> > iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1099 -j
> ACCEPT
>
> What filtering do you have in place?  If you do not
> have default
> policies of ACCEPT, you will also need to add rules
> to your
> filter:FORWARD chain to allow this traffic to pass
> through.  I.e.
>
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -d
> 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 80
> -j ACCEPT
>
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -s
> 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --sport 80
> -j ACCEPT
>
> > iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d a.b.c.d
> -p
> > tcp --dport 1099 -j DNAT --to-destination
> > 216.239.59.103:80
> >
> > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d
> > 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 1099 -j SNAT
> --to-source
> > a.b.c.d
>
> These commands look ok to me.
>
> > I am trying http://a.b.c.d:1099  or with telnet
> > a.b.c.d 1099 (Trying a.b.c.d... telnet: Unable to
> > connect to remote host: Connection refused)
>
> I think you will have better luck playing with
> telnet to start with.
> Keep in mind that just because you enter
> "http://a.b.c.d..." in your web
> browser, you are doing more than connecting to that
> address.  You are
> also asking for a page off of the domain a.b.c.d.
> So for testing, I'd
> stick with telnet, or set up a temporary hosts entry
> for the test domain.
>

> Grant. . . .

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

The fish are biting.

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-15 15:08         ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2007-02-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mail List - Netfilter

Tim Perton a écrit :
> I tried the forward rules too but nothing.
> Still telnet a.b.c.d 1099 does not work after issuing
> the following commands(no other firewalling made to
> prohibit packets):
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1099 -j ACCEPT

This rule is useless because connections to port 1099 are forwarded to
another host. INPUT chains see only traffic for the local host.

> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -d 216.239.59.103
> -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

Ok.

> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -s 216.239.59.103
> -p tcp --sport 80 -j ACCEPT

Use the connection tracking (-m state --state ESTABLISHED) to deal with
return traffic.

> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d a.b.c.d -p
> tcp --dport 1099 -j DNAT --to-destination
> 216.239.59.103:80

Ok.

> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d
> 216.239.59.103 -p tcp --dport 1099 -j SNAT --to-source
> a.b.c.d

The rule must match on destination port 80 instead of 1099, because it
occurs after the destination port has been translated. Remember the path
is :
PREROUTING (DNAT) -> FORWARD -> POSTROUTING (SNAT)

* Re: iptables: hide the real web server from users
@ 2007-02-23 11:05       ` Martijn Lievaart
From: Martijn Lievaart @ 2007-02-23 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Perton; +Cc: netfilter

Tim Perton wrote:
> Thank you all for your quick reply.
> Ok for web traffic squid is fine.
> But if I have a binary socket input/output thread and
> want to pass them transparently between the user and
> System B through System A, i think that only iptables
> can do that in tcp layer.
>
> Any ideas on this?

Look at rinetd.

HTH,