* ip_append_page and the socket send buffer
@ 2007-02-16 20:02 Elad Lahav
From: Elad Lahav @ 2007-02-16 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I wrote a function that is equivalent to udp_sendmsg, but uses
ip_append_page to attach data to an skb. The function is implemented as
follows:

1. Allocate a page and copy the given data to that page
2. Set up routing and cork the socket
3. Call ip_append_data to create an initial skb (with data length set to 0)
4. Call ip_append_page with the allocated page
5. Call udp_push_pending_frames to send the packet

The function works correctly. Packets are generated and sent as
expected: this was verified by looking at the packet contents on the
receiving machine.
However, under load, there is a significant difference in the behaviour
of udp_sendmsg, compared with my function. The problem is that the
socket send buffer (wmem_alloc) quickly grows beyond its upper limit
(which is 131071 by default). This results in numerous failures of
ip_append_data with EAGAIN, degrading performance considerably.
udp_sendmsg, on the other hand, keeps wmem_alloc in a much smaller range
under the same load.

Two notes:
1. Modifying the upper limit to 524287 solved the problem completely
(regardless of the load)
2. The same thing happens with multiple calls to ip_append_data (e.g.,
if I want to copy the data in two sections), so it is not a problem with
ip_append_page. This leads me o believe that the problem lies with
Scatter/Gather I/O.

Any thoughts?

Elad

* Re: ip_append_page and the socket send buffer
@ 2007-02-16 21:27 ` James Morris
From: James Morris @ 2007-02-16 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elad Lahav; +Cc: netdev

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Elad Lahav wrote:

> I wrote a function that is equivalent to udp_sendmsg, but uses ip_append_page
> to attach data to an skb. The function is implemented as follows:

Why?

Where is the code?

--
James Morris
<jmorris@namei.org>

* Re: ip_append_page and the socket send buffer
@ 2007-02-16 22:00   ` Elad Lahav
From: Elad Lahav @ 2007-02-16 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Morris; +Cc: netdev

James Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Elad Lahav wrote:
>
>> I wrote a function that is equivalent to udp_sendmsg, but uses ip_append_page
>> to attach data to an skb. The function is implemented as follows:
>
> Why?

This scheme allows you to send the same data to multiple recipients. The
user's data is copied only once into a set of pages, which are then
shared among multiple skbuff objects.

> Where is the code?
The code is probably too long to be attached to a mailing list message.
It pretty much follows the steps I specified in my original e-mail. I
can provide more details, if required.

Elad