* [Qemu-devel] documentation
@ 2007-02-17  1:37 Mehmet Ergun
From: Mehmet Ergun @ 2007-02-17  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

hi,

I'm a new user and I found the documentation a little confusing. I was
wondering whether you are considering to work on the online
documentation, provide a few videos, explain the network commands a bit
more, and do a general overhaul of the documentation structure.

A few videos explaining the installation and running the software would
be really nice :)

May be a few tutorials on how to do some interesting stuff with qemu?

thanks a lot for this nice software.

PS. please CC me on your replies as I'm not subscribed to the list

* [Qemu-devel] Documentation
@ 2011-10-27 16:27 Donald Allen
From: Donald Allen @ 2011-10-27 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I've just this week begun using qemu (actually qemu-kvm) on a 64-bit
Slackware (13.37) system. You people have produced a very useful piece of
software, very nice work. But I must say that the documentation does not do
the software justice. I have just spent a maddening several hours trying to
get simple smb access to files on the host machine working. The
documentation on networking is scattered over multiple places, much of it is
obsolete and/or incorrect, and it suffers from lack of examples. After
several hours, I finally noticed the comment on the page

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Networking

that says that

qemu -m 256 -hda winxp.img -kernel-kqemu &
qemu -m 256 -hda winxp.img -kernel-kqemu -net nic -net user &

are equivalent. Aha! -net nic and -net user are *not* mutually
exclusive, as the qemu man page implies. And the smb option only works
with -net user. But if you specify *only* -net user, you don't get a
network interface in the guest. Where do you read about this key fact
that *both* -net options are needed, as I
pieced together after hours of detective work?

If you care about people using this thing, then I suggest to you that
you think about the common cases (and I submit that just wanting to
access the network at large plus files on the host machine is a common
case) and concentrate the documentation effort on those.
And *please* give examples.

Thanks again for your good work, but please improve the documentation.

/Don Allen

* Re: [Qemu-devel] documentation
@ 2009-05-11 19:07 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-05-11 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: G 3; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi,

On Mon, 11 May 2009, G 3 wrote:

> I have been trying to compile Qemu on MinGW but I keep running into
> problems. The biggest problem I face is outdated documentation. Who is
> in charge of Qemu's documentation? In the section about compiling under
> Windows there is mention of a file called i386-mingw32msvb.tar.gz. This
> file doesn't exist any more in SDL 1.2.13.

Well, nobody is in charge.  This is an Open Source project, so people do
what they like, and apparently nobody liked taking care of the
documentation.

> It would really help the Qemu community if they tried to update their
> documentation.

I fail to see how.  The developers seemed to be quite capable of doing
without the outdated documentation...

Oh, and if you wanted to suggest that better documentation could give QEmu
a bigger user community: as far as I can tell, nobody working on QEmu
would have any benefit from a larger user base.

Ciao,
Dscho

* [Qemu-devel] documentation
@ 2009-05-11 18:41 G 3
From: G 3 @ 2009-05-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I have been trying to compile Qemu on MinGW but I keep running into
problems. The biggest problem I face is outdated documentation. Who is
in charge of Qemu's documentation? In the section about compiling under
Windows there is mention of a file called i386-mingw32msvb.tar.gz. This
file doesn't exist any more in SDL 1.2.13. It would really help the
Qemu community if they tried to update their documentation.