* [Bluez-users] Request FAQ entries: (need for) passkey-agent + replug dongle for it to work...
@ 2007-02-17 10:35 Peter Valdemar Mørch
From: Peter Valdemar Mørch @ 2007-02-17 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi there,

Thanks for great software. It rocks when its configured right. Which
took some time - at least for me.

First, I spent a long time wondering why `hcitool scan` was empty /
didn't show any output other than "Scanning ..."

I had plugged in my brand new Bluetooth USB dongle and seen that it
loaded the USB and bluetooth drivers! Great! Then I installed and
bluez-utils and gnokii. `hcitool scan` kept showing empty output until I
unplugged and reconnected the dongle!!! How was I to know *that*? I
remember struggling with this before and also tearing my hair out when I
discovered it back then... :D I found several questions about this (with
some suggestions about pin_helper!! ) but no good answers/solutions.

Next, I spent *forever* trying to get pin_helper to work on my new
installation! And it didn't because I'm using 3.X versions. There are
*so* many posts out there talking about pin_helper, that I didn't even
question that they all might be invalid.

Somewhere along the line I discovered Marcel Holtmann mentioning =

something about passkey-agent. 3 minutes later all was working fine.

I've now spent almost 5 hours getting a new bluetooth dongle and my
phone to communicate, even though I already had a laptop working with
bluez setup right next to it.

May I please suggest that these two be added as FAQs?
(At the very least, I'll now be able to find these two valuable tips in
the mailing list archives next time! :D)

Ciao, and thanks for great code!

Peter

-- =

Peter Valdemar M=F8rch
http://www.morch.com

* Re: [Bluez-users] Request FAQ entries: (need for) passkey-agent + replug dongle for it to work...
@ 2007-02-17 10:42 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-17 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Hi Peter,

> Thanks for great software. It rocks when its configured right. Which
> took some time - at least for me.
>
> First, I spent a long time wondering why `hcitool scan` was empty /
> didn't show any output other than "Scanning ..."
>
> I had plugged in my brand new Bluetooth USB dongle and seen that it
> loaded the USB and bluetooth drivers! Great! Then I installed and
> bluez-utils and gnokii. `hcitool scan` kept showing empty output until I
> unplugged and reconnected the dongle!!! How was I to know *that*? I
> remember struggling with this before and also tearing my hair out when I
> discovered it back then... :D I found several questions about this (with
> some suggestions about pin_helper!! ) but no good answers/solutions.
>
> Next, I spent *forever* trying to get pin_helper to work on my new
> installation! And it didn't because I'm using 3.X versions. There are
> *so* many posts out there talking about pin_helper, that I didn't even
> question that they all might be invalid.
>
> Somewhere along the line I discovered Marcel Holtmann mentioning
> something about passkey-agent. 3 minutes later all was working fine.
>
> I've now spent almost 5 hours getting a new bluetooth dongle and my
> phone to communicate, even though I already had a laptop working with
> bluez setup right next to it.
>
> May I please suggest that these two be added as FAQs?
> (At the very least, I'll now be able to find these two valuable tips in
> the mailing list archives next time! :D)

actually you might wanna write an article for the wiki by yourself.
Check out wiki.bluez.org and feel free to extend the information.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] Request FAQ entries: (need for) passkey-agent + replug dongle for it to work...
@ 2007-02-17 14:25   ` Manuel Naranjo
From: Manuel Naranjo @ 2007-02-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

> actually you might wanna write an article for the wiki by yourself.
> Check out wiki.bluez.org and feel free to extend the information.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Hi Marcel,
This is really great, I didn't know there was a Wiki :S. I think you
should add links from the main page.
When I can I will try to write some articles about BlueZ usage there.
Cheers,
Manuel