* [LARTC] "dst cache overflow" messages and crash
@ 2007-02-19 13:38 Frédéric Massot
From: Frédéric Massot @ 2007-02-19 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi,

I regularly have errors (kernel: dst cache overflow) and crash of a
firewall under Linux 2.6.17 and the route patch from Julian Anastasov.

With rtstat I see that the route cache size increases regularly without
never decreasing.

I have this parameters:
fw:/proc/sys/net/ipv4/route# grep . *
error_burst:1250
error_cost:250
gc_elasticity:15
gc_interval:60
gc_min_interval:0
gc_min_interval_ms:500
gc_thresh:4096
gc_timeout:300
max_delay:10
max_size:65536
min_adv_mss:256
min_delay:2
min_pmtu:552
mtu_expires:600
redirect_load:5
redirect_number:9
redirect_silence:5120
secret_interval:600

I can increase the maximum size of the cache, but that will do nothing
but delay the crash.

Can you help me?

Regards.

* Re: [LARTC] "dst cache overflow" messages and crash
@ 2007-02-20 10:46 ` Frédéric Massot
From: Frédéric Massot @ 2007-02-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Charlie Meyer wrote:
> i ran into this problem a while ago, and i did the following:
>
> echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh1
> echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh2
> echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh3
>
> and all my problems were solved
>
> -Charlie
>
> On 2/19/07, *Frédéric Massot* <frederic@juliana-multimedia.com
> <mailto:frederic@juliana-multimedia.com>> wrote:
>>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>   I regularly have errors (kernel: dst cache overflow) and crash of a
>>   firewall under Linux 2.6.17 and the route patch from Julian Anastasov.
>>
>>   With rtstat I see that the route cache size increases regularly without
>>   never decreasing.
>>
>>   I have this parameters:
>>   fw:/proc/sys/net/ipv4/route# grep . *
>>   error_burst:1250
>>   error_cost:250
>>   gc_elasticity:15
>>   gc_interval:60
>>   gc_min_interval:0
>>   gc_min_interval_ms:500
>>   gc_thresh:4096
>>   gc_timeout:300
>>   max_delay:10
>>   max_size:65536
>>   min_adv_mss:256
>>   min_delay:2
>>   min_pmtu:552
>>   mtu_expires:600
>>   redirect_load:5
>>   redirect_number:9
>>   redirect_silence:5120
>>   secret_interval:600
>>
>>   I can increase the maximum size of the cache, but that will do nothing
>>   but delay the crash.

Hi,

I think that my problem comes from the route cache and not ARP cache:

- http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2007q1/020061.html
- http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2007q1/020067.html

I read several thread of discusion on this problem, but I did not find a
solution.

@ 2007-02-21 13:39 ` Ivan Vladimirov
From: Ivan Vladimirov @ 2007-02-21 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Frédéric Massot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I regularly have errors (kernel: dst cache overflow) and crash of a
> firewall under Linux 2.6.17 and the route patch from Julian Anastasov.
>
> With rtstat I see that the route cache size increases regularly without
> never decreasing.
>
> I have this parameters:
> fw:/proc/sys/net/ipv4/route# grep . *
> error_burst:1250
> error_cost:250
> gc_elasticity:15
> gc_interval:60
> gc_min_interval:0
> gc_min_interval_ms:500
> gc_thresh:4096
> gc_timeout:300
> max_delay:10
> max_size:65536
> min_adv_mss:256
> min_delay:2
> min_pmtu:552
> mtu_expires:600
> redirect_load:5
> redirect_number:9
> redirect_silence:5120
> secret_interval:600
>
> I can increase the maximum size of the cache, but that will do nothing
> but delay the crash.
>
> Can you help me?
>
> Regards.
max_sizee536