* [Buildroot] Mac OS X status
@ 2007-02-25 11:38 Heikki Lindholm
From: Heikki Lindholm @ 2007-02-25 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

In case there are some other parties interested in seeing buildroot
working on a Mac OS X host, here's a short status report. Using the sed
patch I posted and after fixing some incompatible "cp"'s, one "du -l", a
few missing headers, and a missing "getline" function, I can build a
simple uclibc+busybox installation up to where it would need fakeroot,
which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work on OS X.

-- Heikki Lindholm

* [Buildroot] Mac OS X status
@ 2007-02-26  1:20 ` David Smoot
From: David Smoot @ 2007-02-26  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Big thumbs up to you for doing this.  I'm sure it is a small group of people
that would use buildroot on a Mac but I appreciate it.  And I would imagine
Buildroot will benefit by the extra effort to make it POSIX compliant.
David

On 2/25/07, Heikki Lindholm <holindho@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In case there are some other parties interested in seeing buildroot
> working on a Mac OS X host, here's a short status report. Using the sed
> patch I posted and after fixing some incompatible "cp"'s, one "du -l", a
> few missing headers, and a missing "getline" function, I can build a
> simple uclibc+busybox installation up to where it would need fakeroot,
> which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work on OS X.
>
> -- Heikki Lindholm

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Mac OS X status
@ 2007-02-26  1:26   ` Allan Clark
From: Allan Clark @ 2007-02-26  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2/25/07, David Smoot <davidsmoot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Heikki Lindholm <holindho@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In case there are some other parties interested in seeing buildroot
> > working on a Mac OS X host, here's a short status report. Using the sed
> > patch I posted and after fixing some incompatible "cp"'s, one "du -l", a
> > few missing headers, and a missing "getline" function, I can build a
> > simple uclibc+busybox installation up to where it would need fakeroot,
> > which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work on OS X.
> >
> > -- Heikki Lindholm
>
> Big thumbs up to you for doing this.  I'm sure it is a small group of people
> that would use buildroot on a Mac but I appreciate it.  And I would imagine
> Buildroot will benefit by the extra effort to make it POSIX compliant.
> David

I've contributed to this in the past, others have, this would need
some assurance that the parts for buildroot on MacOSX would have a
chance of merging to baseline, or there will probably be an annual
"hey, I have an idea, buildroot on MacOSX" attempt.  If the changes go
to baseline, then the issue becomes maintenance, not re-invention.

Allan

* [Buildroot] Mac OS X status
@ 2007-02-27 20:13     ` David Smoot
From: David Smoot @ 2007-02-27 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

So who / whom are the powers that make that decision and what is their
opinion on merging in changes to support buildroot on Mac OS X?
David

@ 2007-02-27 21:17       ` Heikki Lindholm
From: Heikki Lindholm @ 2007-02-27 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

...and should patches be put exclusively to the bug tracker to be noted
at all? A discouraging fact is that the only OS X patch I found in the
tracker took half a year to get any response. Trying to keep out-of-tree
patches in sync with SVN changes for that long can be a pain. In the
meantime, I fixed the fakeroot issue and that stuff is already available
in fakeroot 1.6.2 from your friendly neighbourhood debian site.

-- Heikki Lindholm

David Smoot kirjoitti:
> So who / whom are the powers that make that decision and what is their
> opinion on merging in changes to support buildroot on Mac OS X?
> David
>
> On 2/25/07, * Allan Clark* <allanc@chickenandporn.com
> <mailto:allanc@chickenandporn.com>> wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>
>     I've contributed to this in the past, others have, this would need
>     some assurance that the parts for buildroot on MacOSX would have a
>     chance of merging to baseline, or there will probably be an annual
>     "hey, I have an idea, buildroot on MacOSX" attempt.  If the changes go
>     to baseline, then the issue becomes maintenance, not re-invention.
>
>     Allan

* [Buildroot] Mac OS X status
@ 2007-03-08 16:43         ` Bernhard Fischer
From: Bernhard Fischer @ 2007-03-08 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:17:48PM +0200, Heikki Lindholm wrote:
>...and should patches be put exclusively to the bug tracker to be noted
>at all? A discouraging fact is that the only OS X patch I found in the
>tracker took half a year to get any response. Trying to keep out-of-tree
>patches in sync with SVN changes for that long can be a pain. In the

We'll get the MACos patches merged, don't worry.

cheers,
Bernhard