* PIO port width on various archs?
@ 2007-02-25  8:58 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-25  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

I'm changing the kvm userspace interface to be more friendly to other
archs.  One issue is the PIO port size.  x86 uses 16 bits to hold the
port size (64K ports).  Is that an issue for other archs?

I guess I could change it to __u32, but it's better to know what various
architectures actually require.

From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-25  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

I'm changing the kvm userspace interface to be more friendly to other
archs.  One issue is the PIO port size.  x86 uses 16 bits to hold the
port size (64K ports).  Is that an issue for other archs?

I guess I could change it to __u32, but it's better to know what various
architectures actually require.

* Re: [kvm-devel] PIO port width on various archs?
@ 2007-02-26  4:27   ` Hollis Blanchard
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2007-02-26  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 10:58 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> I'm changing the kvm userspace interface to be more friendly to other
> archs.  One issue is the PIO port size.  x86 uses 16 bits to hold the
> port size (64K ports).  Is that an issue for other archs?
>
> I guess I could change it to __u32, but it's better to know what various
> architectures actually require.

PowerPC doesn't have any such concept; access to ISA PIO is done by
having the bridge translate a particular range of MMIO accesses as PIO.
I'm no expert, but I don't know of any mainstream processor other than
x86 that supports PIO.

-Hollis

* Re: PIO port width on various archs?
@ 2007-02-26  4:27   ` Hollis Blanchard
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2007-02-26  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

@ 2007-02-26  6:13     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-26  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hollis Blanchard; +Cc: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 10:58 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> I'm changing the kvm userspace interface to be more friendly to other
>> archs.  One issue is the PIO port size.  x86 uses 16 bits to hold the
>> port size (64K ports).  Is that an issue for other archs?
>>
>> I guess I could change it to __u32, but it's better to know what various
>> architectures actually require.
>>

> PowerPC doesn't have any such concept; access to ISA PIO is done by
> having the bridge translate a particular range of MMIO accesses as PIO.
> I'm no expert, but I don't know of any mainstream processor other than
> x86 that supports PIO.

I think ia64 does, but it's probably exactly the same as x86.

From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-26  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hollis Blanchard; +Cc: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

@ 2007-02-26 16:52       ` Brian Johnson
From: Brian Johnson @ 2007-02-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel, linux-kernel

Avi Kivity wrote:
> Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 10:58 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>>> I'm changing the kvm userspace interface to be more friendly to other
>>> archs.  One issue is the PIO port size.  x86 uses 16 bits to hold the
>>> port size (64K ports).  Is that an issue for other archs?
>>>
>>> I guess I could change it to __u32, but it's better to know what various
>>> architectures actually require.
>>>
>> PowerPC doesn't have any such concept; access to ISA PIO is done by
>> having the bridge translate a particular range of MMIO accesses as PIO.
>> I'm no expert, but I don't know of any mainstream processor other than
>> x86 that supports PIO.
>>

> I think ia64 does, but it's probably exactly the same as x86.

IA64 uses a special memory range which is translated into I/O port
accesses by the CPU hardware (as opposed to the I/O bridge.)  Section
10.7 of volume 2 of the Itanium SDM has the details.  Only 64k of I/O
ports is supported.

Brian J. Johnson

From: Brian Johnson @ 2007-02-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,