* RE: aacraid not detecting drives if compiled into kernel
@ 2007-02-23 13:04 Salyzyn, Mark
From: Salyzyn, Mark @ 2007-02-23 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pcaldes; +Cc: linux-scsi

The driver in RHEL3 is old (1.1.5-2412ish, so not that old), use the
Adaptec supplied sources and we will investigate. You can find them in
our download section, just pick a 'modern' aac based card and browse for
the latest. I believe I fixed the last set of problems associate with
compiling the driver static in the kernel in 1.1.5-2415. The testing was
done under a 2.6 kernel though so we may have a new set of issues to
work through ...

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn

@ 2007-02-26 18:51 ` pcaldes
From: pcaldes @ 2007-02-26 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salyzyn, Mark; +Cc: linux-scsi

Thanx for your quick reply on Friday.
I was able to get the aacraid driver statically linked into the kernel
to recognize the drive.

I found the 1.1-5-2420 drivers from the Adaptec site
(aacraid_drv_1.1.5-2420.rpm)
Since there were no patches specifically for my kernel RHEL3
(kernel-2.4.21-47.E),
I used the driver source located in aacraid_source.tgz which I used to
replace everything in the drivers/scsi/aacraid directory
and recompiled the kernel.

How stable is the 1.1.5-2420 driver under 2.4?
Also, is 2420 the latest stable build?

@ 2007-02-26 19:03 Salyzyn, Mark
From: Salyzyn, Mark @ 2007-02-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pcaldes; +Cc: linux-scsi

1.1.5-2433 is available on the website for other controllers that belong
to the aacraid family. I know this can be confusing, but products are
placed on the website after the combination of controller, driver and
Linux distribution are tested and are thusly associated. Untested or
limited tested drivers do show up occasionally in generic pages from
time to time. So the latest is a browse fest at best ;-> This is the
beast that results when you mix certification with the
anti-certification sentiment that surrounds Linux development ...

Email me directly if you want the latest limited tested Adaptec version
of the driver. Currently at 1.1.5-2439, a untested
latest/greatest/buggiest is 1.1.5-2443 at this moment should you wish to
be braver still. I do not mind the email interruption to drop later
driver versions, for you are granting me a free test bed for my latest
<expletive deleted> :-).

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn

@ 2007-02-23  1:35 pcaldes