* USB Audio Device: Philips Audio Set
@ 2007-02-27 13:13 Andreas Hubmer
From: Andreas Hubmer @ 2007-02-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello,

I have a Philips mini hifi-system named "Philips FWM589" that can be
used as an usb sound card. It is recognized as USB Audio device but I'm
not able to get it to work.
The module snd-usb-audio is loaded and in gnome a message pops up that a
new audio device was found. In the gnome audio preferences a new device
"USB Audio" is shown but the test sound doesn't work.

It seems that the "Philips Audio Set" is not standard-conform.
Is there anyone who has experience with Philips USB sound cards or
someone who can help me isolating the problem?
Where should I start looking for possible problems?
Is there a good way to debug the module snd-usb-audio? I found out that
there exists the header file usbquirks.h. Can that be helpful to me?

Vendor/Product ID of the USB Device: 0471:0111

dmesg output after plugging in:
[14603.564000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 7
[14603.768000] usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[14603.776000] input: Philips Philips Audio Set as /class/input/input10
[14603.776000] input: USB HID v1.00 Device [Philips Philips Audio Set]
on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2
[14604.176000] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

cat /proc/asound/cars shows my onboard sound card and the USB device:
 0 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                      Intel ICH6 with AD1981B at 0xb0040800, irq 16
 1 [Set            ]: USB-Audio - Philips Audio Set
                      Philips Philips Audio Set at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2,
full speed

To change the default alsa-device I also tried changing ~/.asoundrc and
added the following lines:
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card Set
}
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card Set
}
Afterwards I restarted alsa with "/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart" but
that didn't help. I couldn't hear anything.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 and the new kernel 2.6.20.1

Thanks for your help!

Andreas Hubmer

* Re: USB Audio Device: Philips Audio Set
@ 2007-02-27 14:06 ` Ingo Müller
From: Ingo Müller @ 2007-02-27 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi!

I think that alsa-user would rather be the mailing list where this issue
should be discussed... Anyway, did you try

speaker-test -c2 -Dplughw:1,0 -twav

If this command produces white noise on your usb sound card, your
problem is only a matter of configuration.

Regards, Ingo

@ 2007-02-27 17:27 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2007-02-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Hubmer, alsa-devel

Andreas Hubmer wrote:
> I have a Philips mini hifi-system named "Philips FWM589" that can be
> used as an usb sound card. It is recognized as USB Audio device but I'm
> not able to get it to work.
> The module snd-usb-audio is loaded and in gnome a message pops up that a
> new audio device was found. In the gnome audio preferences a new device
> "USB Audio" is shown but the test sound doesn't work.

Many USB audio devices have strange or non-standard mixer controls.
Please show the output of "amixer -c 1 contents".

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: USB Audio Device: Philips Audio Set
@ 2007-02-27 18:06   ` Andreas Hubmer
From: Andreas Hubmer @ 2007-02-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel