* sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-11-11 21:54 Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2006-11-11 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Domsch; +Cc: linux-sparse, Josh Triplett

I see that sparse made it into Fedora Extras, so that 'yum install'
automatically pulls it down for me.  Yay!  Thanks, Matt.

Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?

I have wild ambitions of rewriting compile-i386.c (my int-only x86
pseudo-compiler) using the new basic block stuff, into a proper [if very
very basic] C99 compiler.

	Jeff

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-11-11 23:50 ` Matt Domsch
From: Matt Domsch @ 2006-11-11 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-sparse, Josh Triplett

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:54:08PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I see that sparse made it into Fedora Extras, so that 'yum install'
> automatically pulls it down for me.  Yay!  Thanks, Matt.
>
> Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?

.a or .so?  The .so just got dropped from the standard sparse 'make
install' with the 0.1 release.  If it comes back, I can put it into
the sparse package and the appropriate headers (please specify in the Makefile) into a
sparse-devel subpackage.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-11-12  1:32 ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2006-11-12  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Matt Domsch, linux-sparse

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I see that sparse made it into Fedora Extras, so that 'yum install'
> automatically pulls it down for me.  Yay!  Thanks, Matt.

Thanks indeed.

> Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?

Sure, assuming you don't mind coding against something potentially fluid.  The
next release will install the library and headers.  (At the moment, "necessary
headers" seems to mean "all of them".)

> I have wild ambitions of rewriting compile-i386.c (my int-only x86
> pseudo-compiler) using the new basic block stuff, into a proper [if very
> very basic] C99 compiler.

I look forward to seeing that.

- Josh Triplett

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-11-12  1:45   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2006-11-12  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Domsch; +Cc: linux-sparse, Josh Triplett

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:54:08PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> I see that sparse made it into Fedora Extras, so that 'yum install'
>> automatically pulls it down for me.  Yay!  Thanks, Matt.
>>
>> Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?
>
> .a or .so?  The .so just got dropped from the standard sparse 'make

Doesn't matter to me...  Something is better than nothing.  With
sparse's license, .a is no big deal.

Thanks,

@ 2006-11-12  3:04     ` Matt Domsch
From: Matt Domsch @ 2006-11-12  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-sparse, Josh Triplett

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 08:45:41PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:54:08PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >>I see that sparse made it into Fedora Extras, so that 'yum install'
> >>automatically pulls it down for me.  Yay!  Thanks, Matt.
> >>
> >>Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?
> >
> >.a or .so?  The .so just got dropped from the standard sparse 'make
>
> Doesn't matter to me...  Something is better than nothing.  With
> sparse's license, .a is no big deal.

Fedora Extras strongly discourages shipping and using .a if only to
ensure that any security issue uncovered can be addressed without
always rebuilding all downstream dependent apps.  Not too likely a
problem with a tool like sparse, but always a concern.

The .so would need to start being versioned, and care paid to bump the
version as the ABIs change.

That's one thing the opensuse build system does differently - tracking
the full dependency tree, and automatically rebuilding all downstream
dependent apps when an upstream app changes.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-11-12  3:22       ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2006-11-12  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Domsch; +Cc: linux-sparse, Josh Triplett

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 08:45:41PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Matt Domsch wrote:

>>> .a or .so?  The .so just got dropped from the standard sparse 'make
>> Doesn't matter to me...  Something is better than nothing.  With
>> sparse's license, .a is no big deal.
>
> Fedora Extras strongly discourages shipping and using .a if only to
> ensure that any security issue uncovered can be addressed without
> always rebuilding all downstream dependent apps.  Not too likely a
> problem with a tool like sparse, but always a concern.
>
> The .so would need to start being versioned, and care paid to bump the
> version as the ABIs change.

Or alteratively we could recognize that sparse is a bit of an unusual
lib.  With the library likely to be changing rapidly, caring about ABIs
at this early stage probably isn't in anybody's best interests.

@ 2006-12-05 16:53   ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2006-12-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sparse; +Cc: Jeff Garzik, Matt Domsch

Josh Triplett wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?
>
> Sure, assuming you don't mind coding against something potentially fluid.  The
> next release will install the library and headers.  (At the moment, "necessary
> headers" seems to mean "all of them".)

The Sparse 0.2 release installs the library and headers, as well as a
pkg-config file.

- Josh Triplett

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-12-08 19:34     ` Matt Domsch
From: Matt Domsch @ 2006-12-08 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Triplett; +Cc: linux-sparse, Jeff Garzik

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:53:04AM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Josh Triplett wrote:
> > Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >> Can libsparse.a and necessary includes be packaged as well?
> >
> > Sure, assuming you don't mind coding against something potentially fluid.  The
> > next release will install the library and headers.  (At the moment, "necessary
> > headers" seems to mean "all of them".)
>
> The Sparse 0.2 release installs the library and headers, as well as a
> pkg-config file.

I've got a test build of sparse-0.2 posted at
http://domsch.com/linux/fedora/extras/sparse/0.2/ which I intend to
put into Fedora Extras for FC5,6,devel.  This puts the libsparse.a and
headers into a -devel package.

Jeff, does this suit your needs?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-12-09  9:43       ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2006-12-09  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Domsch; +Cc: linux-sparse, Jeff Garzik

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:53:04AM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
>> Josh Triplett wrote:
>>> Sure, assuming you don't mind coding against something potentially fluid.  The
>>> next release will install the library and headers.  (At the moment, "necessary
>>> headers" seems to mean "all of them".)
>> The Sparse 0.2 release installs the library and headers, as well as a
>> pkg-config file.
>
> I've got a test build of sparse-0.2 posted at
> http://domsch.com/linux/fedora/extras/sparse/0.2/ which I intend to
> put into Fedora Extras for FC5,6,devel.  This puts the libsparse.a and
> headers into a -devel package.

From the spec file, I notice that you install the pkg-config file to
/usr/lib/pkgconfig (or equivalent), rather than /usr/share/pkgconfig (or
equivalent) as the Makefile does; any particular reason for that?

- Josh Triplett

* Re: sparse as a compiler front-end
@ 2006-12-09 10:15         ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2006-12-09 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Triplett; +Cc: Matt Domsch, linux-sparse

Josh Triplett wrote:
> From the spec file, I notice that you install the pkg-config file to
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig (or equivalent), rather than /usr/share/pkgconfig (or
> equivalent) as the Makefile does; any particular reason for that?

The pkgconfig file describes an architecture-specific library, so it
goes into /usr/lib/pkgconfig/$pkg.pc if its 32-bit (or the rare 64-bit
arch that uses /usr/lib), and it goes into /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/$pkg.pc
if the library is 64-bit.

/usr/share is not appropriate for architecture-specific data.

@ 2006-12-09 10:17       ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2006-12-09 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Domsch; +Cc: Josh Triplett, linux-sparse

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:53:04AM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
>> Josh Triplett wrote:
>>> Sure, assuming you don't mind coding against something potentially fluid.  The
>>> next release will install the library and headers.  (At the moment, "necessary
>>> headers" seems to mean "all of them".)
>> The Sparse 0.2 release installs the library and headers, as well as a
>> pkg-config file.
>
> I've got a test build of sparse-0.2 posted at
> http://domsch.com/linux/fedora/extras/sparse/0.2/ which I intend to
> put into Fedora Extras for FC5,6,devel.  This puts the libsparse.a and
> headers into a -devel package.
>
> Jeff, does this suit your needs?

Yep, both sparse and sparse-devel look great, here on FC6!

@ 2006-12-09 16:17         ` Matt Domsch
From: Matt Domsch @ 2006-12-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Josh Triplett, linux-sparse

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 05:17:46AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
> >I've got a test build of sparse-0.2 posted at
> >http://domsch.com/linux/fedora/extras/sparse/0.2/
> >
> >Jeff, does this suit your needs?
>
> Yep, both sparse and sparse-devel look great, here on FC6!

Great.  This will be in tomorrow's push of Fedora Extras for
FC{5,6,devel} then.

Thanks,
Matt

--