* OE and the developing host
@ 2007-02-28 10:09 Nicola Ranaldo
From: Nicola Ranaldo @ 2007-02-28 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I use OE on a gentoo box. This morning i updated the system, and the new
linux-headers package removed /usr/include/asm/page.h. So when building my
angstrom image it failed with perl asking to include that file. This problem
was discussed on the gentoo bug and after applying a simple workaround i was
able to emerge perl on the gentoo box and perl native on OE.
After a while the oe build stopped on esound, this was caused by a malfunction
of /usr/lib/libosp.so.5 on gentoo, i reemerged it and solved the problem. Now
the armstrong-gpe-image is complete. But this introduced a doubt. OE build
some tools directly, and use other directly from the build host, so it could
be teoretically possible to produce different images on different host. Is
there a way or a plan to avoid it and make OE build host independant
(supposing i was correct)? If not, what's the most used/supported distro by
OE developers?

Regards

	Niko

* Re: OE and the developing host
@ 2007-02-28 10:28 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-02-28 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 11:09 +0100, Nicola Ranaldo wrote:
> I use OE on a gentoo box. This morning i updated the system, and the new
> linux-headers package removed /usr/include/asm/page.h. So when building my
> angstrom image it failed with perl asking to include that file. This problem
> was discussed on the gentoo bug and after applying a simple workaround i was
> able to emerge perl on the gentoo box and perl native on OE.
> After a while the oe build stopped on esound, this was caused by a malfunction
> of /usr/lib/libosp.so.5 on gentoo, i reemerged it and solved the problem. Now
> the armstrong-gpe-image is complete. But this introduced a doubt. OE build
> some tools directly, and use other directly from the build host, so it could
> be teoretically possible to produce different images on different host. Is
> there a way or a plan to avoid it and make OE build host independant
> (supposing i was correct)? If not, what's the most used/supported distro by
> OE developers?

*-native packages can touch things on the system, any other packages
shouldn't and if they were found to be, it would be a bug and should be
fixed.

Its never going to be possible to make make OE build everything it needs
itself since you always need some prerequisites (e.g. a initial
toolchain).

Personally, I use OE/Poky on Ubuntu and Slackware. There are others
using Gentoo and other systems. Ideally it should work on most systems,
you might see problems with -native packages, you shouldn't see problems
with non -native ones.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: OE and the developing host
@ 2007-02-28 10:31   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2007-02-28 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: OE and the developing host
@ 2007-02-28 15:58     ` Hans Henry von Tresckow
From: Hans Henry von Tresckow @ 2007-02-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 2/28/07, Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:

> OpenSuSE should work as well, but stay away from Red Hat/Fedora based
> stuff, since you
> can't build a working qemu-native on that.
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

Has anybody ever tried to figure out which  Red Hat'isms might be causing
the problem?

* Re: OE and the developing host
@ 2007-02-28 16:27       ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2007-02-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hans Henry von Tresckow wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:
>>
>> OpenSuSE should work as well, but stay away from Red Hat/Fedora based
>> stuff, since you
>> can't build a working qemu-native on that.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Koen
>

> Has anybody ever tried to figure out which  Red Hat'isms might be causing
> the problem?

OE works fine for me on FC6, but I don't use qemu-native.

Philip

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3303 bytes --]

* Newbie Question
@ 2007-02-28 20:27         ` Lee Studley
From: Lee Studley @ 2007-02-28 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,
As a newbie, what is the opinion for an easier jump on the learning curve:

Using open embedded with ubunto or gentoo ?

Thanks, -Lee

* Re: Newbie Question
@ 2007-02-28 20:30           ` gerwin van der kruis
From: gerwin van der kruis @ 2007-02-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Op woensdag 28-02-2007 om 13:27 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Lee
Studley:
> Hi,
> As a newbie, what is the opinion for an easier jump on the learning curve:
>
> Using open embedded with ubunto or gentoo ?

I would say ubuntu

Regards,

Gerwin

* Re: Newbie Question
@ 2007-02-28 21:10             ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-02-28 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 21:30 +0100, gerwin van der kruis wrote:
> Op woensdag 28-02-2007 om 13:27 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Lee
> Studley:
> > Hi,
> > As a newbie, what is the opinion for an easier jump on the learning curve:
> >
> > Using open embedded with ubunto or gentoo ?
>
> I would say ubuntu

Agreed, Ubuntu is less of a moving target and known to work.

Regards,

Richard

* Re: Newbie Question
@ 2007-02-28 23:44               ` Justin Patrin
From: Justin Patrin @ 2007-02-28 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On 2/28/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie@rpsys.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 21:30 +0100, gerwin van der kruis wrote:
> > Op woensdag 28-02-2007 om 13:27 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Lee
> > Studley:
> > > Hi,
> > > As a newbie, what is the opinion for an easier jump on the learning curve:
> > >
> > > Using open embedded with ubunto or gentoo ?
> >
> > I would say ubuntu
>
> Agreed, Ubuntu is less of a moving target and known to work.

Gentoo has worked fine for me for quite some time, but if you are new
to it you may want to go with ubuntu to lessen your "get up to speed"
time.

--
Justin Patrin

* Re: Newbie Question
@ 2007-03-01  9:20                 ` Patrick Fischer
From: Patrick Fischer @ 2007-03-01  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Justin Patrin wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie@rpsys.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 21:30 +0100, gerwin van der kruis wrote:
>>
>>> Op woensdag 28-02-2007 om 13:27 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Lee
>>> Studley:

>>> I would say ubuntu
>>>
>> Agreed, Ubuntu is less of a moving target and known to work.

There is an existing howto for Debian Sarge. It works  for Ubuntu too
except two complement.
*apt-get install texinfo
*use the binary monotone from the monoton homepage

* Re: Newbie Question
@ 2007-03-01 14:49           ` Vladislav Grinchenko
From: Vladislav Grinchenko @ 2007-03-01 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Lee,

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 13:27 -0700, Lee Studley wrote:
> Hi,
> As a newbie, what is the opinion for an easier jump on the learning curve:
>
> Using open embedded with ubunto or gentoo ?

neither - try Fedora Core 6 instead.

here's the instructions:

http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/articles/OE-Devel-Notes-1.0.html

scroll down to "Install and Build SDK ..." section

-Vlad