* XP installation speed: KVM vs Xen
@ 2007-02-27 20:46 Andrew Olney
       [not found] ` <1172609205.6539.9.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Olney @ 2007-02-27 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

I've been migrating from Xen to KVM for a wide variety of reasons.

I've noticed, however, that XP installs much much faster with Xen (3.03
xen-image-xen0-2.6.17-6-generic-xen0 ubuntu) than with KVM (14).

I haven't clocked it, but for KVM it takes longer than realtime (by the
XP install clock) and with Xen it takes less than realtime.

I assume that this is all file I/O related, which raises the question:
what file system setup optimizes KVM I/O, e.g. qcow vs. raw?

* Re: XP installation speed: KVM vs Xen
       [not found] ` <1172609205.6539.9.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-28  0:05   ` Andreas Hasenack
       [not found]     ` <200702272105.18311.ahasenack-y7mWNqJcIDpfJ/NunPodnw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Hasenack @ 2007-02-28  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 17:46:45 Andrew Olney wrote:
> I've been migrating from Xen to KVM for a wide variety of reasons.
>
> I've noticed, however, that XP installs much much faster with Xen (3.03
> xen-image-xen0-2.6.17-6-generic-xen0 ubuntu) than with KVM (14).
>
> I haven't clocked it, but for KVM it takes longer than realtime (by the
> XP install clock) and with Xen it takes less than realtime.
>
> I assume that this is all file I/O related, which raises the question:
> what file system setup optimizes KVM I/O, e.g. qcow vs. raw?

I experienced very slow graphic performance with kvm, could that be related
too?

For example, graphic grub boot splash is very slow, as is any form of frame
buffer boot in linux.

@ 2007-02-28  0:06       ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2007-02-28  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Hasenack; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007 17:46:45 Andrew Olney wrote:
>
>> I've been migrating from Xen to KVM for a wide variety of reasons.
>>
>> I've noticed, however, that XP installs much much faster with Xen (3.03
>> xen-image-xen0-2.6.17-6-generic-xen0 ubuntu) than with KVM (14).
>>
>> I haven't clocked it, but for KVM it takes longer than realtime (by the
>> XP install clock) and with Xen it takes less than realtime.
>>
>> I assume that this is all file I/O related, which raises the question:
>> what file system setup optimizes KVM I/O, e.g. qcow vs. raw?
>>

> I experienced very slow graphic performance with kvm, could that be related
> too?
>
> For example, graphic grub boot splash is very slow, as is any form of frame
> buffer boot in linux.

Graphic grub boot is different from the rest of graphics and should not
be any worse than Xen.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2007-02-28  0:09   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2007-02-28  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aolney-3T5swIX3ET+itgT5ZmApCQ; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Andrew Olney wrote:
> I've been migrating from Xen to KVM for a wide variety of reasons.
>
> I've noticed, however, that XP installs much much faster with Xen (3.03
> xen-image-xen0-2.6.17-6-generic-xen0 ubuntu) than with KVM (14).
>
> I haven't clocked it, but for KVM it takes longer than realtime (by the
> XP install clock) and with Xen it takes less than realtime.
>
> I assume that this is all file I/O related, which raises the question:
> what file system setup optimizes KVM I/O, e.g. qcow vs. raw?

Xen should outperform KVM wrt disk performance.  Xen is based on QEMU
0.8.2 and has a ton of patches including one that aggressive reports IO
completions to the host asynchronously.

KVM uses a version of QEMU that is significantly closer to mainline QEMU
(almost no changes that aren't KVM related).  Eventually, all of the KVM
changes should make it into mainline QEMU whereas that probably will
never happen with Xen.

QEMU only got asynchronous IO support in 0.9.0.  Unfortunately, the
implementation actually results in a regression in performance.  Some
hacks can fix it though.

Of course, the SCSI emulation in 0.9.0 improves performance by quite a
lot (to the point where it's better than Xen).  However, some work is
needed to make SCSI disks bootable and to expose SCSI command line options.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2007-02-28  7:02   ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aolney-3T5swIX3ET+itgT5ZmApCQ; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Andrew Olney wrote:
> I've been migrating from Xen to KVM for a wide variety of reasons.
>
> I've noticed, however, that XP installs much much faster with Xen (3.03
> xen-image-xen0-2.6.17-6-generic-xen0 ubuntu) than with KVM (14).
>
> I haven't clocked it, but for KVM it takes longer than realtime (by the
> XP install clock) and with Xen it takes less than realtime.
>
> I assume that this is all file I/O related, which raises the question:
> what file system setup optimizes KVM I/O, e.g. qcow vs. raw?

The best file format is not a file, but a raw partition or lvm volume.
Second best is a raw partition that has been prewritten using dd.

Pinning kvm to a cpu may help; try prefixing the command with 'taskset 1'.

Please report you experiences, especially about the last hack, as it
indicate a serious problem.

* Re: XP installation speed: KVM vs Xen
       [not found] ` <1172609205.6539.9.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-28  7:10   ` Avi Kivity
       [not found]     ` <45E52AEE.6030107-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aolney-3T5swIX3ET+itgT5ZmApCQ; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Andrew Olney wrote:
> I've been migrating from Xen to KVM for a wide variety of reasons.
>
> I've noticed, however, that XP installs much much faster with Xen (3.03
> xen-image-xen0-2.6.17-6-generic-xen0 ubuntu) than with KVM (14).

btw, as both Xen and kvm use qemu, Xen full virtualization images should
work without change in kvm.

@ 2007-02-28 16:16       ` Andrew Olney
       [not found]         ` <1172679377.5261.38.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Olney @ 2007-02-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

I'd almost swear that KVM is faster with an XP raw image that was
installed by Xen, than it is with a raw image installed by KVM.

@ 2007-02-28 16:40           ` Avi Kivity
       [not found]             ` <45E5B07A.3040700-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aolney-lg4TTeReta+Vc3sceRu5cw; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Andrew Olney wrote:
> I'd almost swear that KVM is faster with an XP raw image that was
> installed by Xen, than it is with a raw image installed by KVM.

That may well be.  Perhaps the images have different HALs.

Compare the values under My Computer | Properties | Hardware | Device
Manager | Computer.  Maybe one uses the "Standard PC" HAL (faster) and
the other the ACPI HAL (slower).  You can also change HALs (required
reboot).

@ 2007-02-28 18:10               ` Andrew Olney
From: Andrew Olney @ 2007-02-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

The Xen installed image is "Standard PC". I erased the KVM installed
image unfortunately, so  I can't check that easily.

The KVM installed image did require the -no-acpi flag, and the Xen image
does not, so that is consistent with your explanation: the Xen install
is a faster, non-acpi HAL.

The speed difference is quite noticeable on a core 2 1.66