* XFS sunit/swidth for raid10
@ 2007-03-21 23:23 Peter Rabbitson
From: Peter Rabbitson @ 2007-03-21 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,
How does one determine the XFS sunit and swidth sizes for a software
raid10 with 3 copies?

Thanks

Peter

* Re: XFS sunit/swidth for raid10
@ 2007-03-22  8:23 ` dean gaudet
From: dean gaudet @ 2007-03-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Rabbitson; +Cc: linux-raid

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Peter Rabbitson wrote:

> Hi,
> How does one determine the XFS sunit and swidth sizes for a software raid10
> with 3 copies?

mkfs.xfs uses the GET_ARRAY_INFO ioctl to get the data it needs from
software raid and select an appropriate sunit/swidth...

although i'm not sure i agree entirely with its choice for raid10:

                *sunit = md.chunk_size >> 9;
                *swidth = *sunit * md.raid_disks;

i'd think it would depend on the layout of the raid10 (near, far,
offset)... for near2 on 4 disks i'd expect swidth to be only 2*sunit...
but for far2 on 4 disks i'd expect 4*sunit... but i'm not sure.  it
probably doesn't matter.

-dean

* Re: XFS sunit/swidth for raid10
@ 2007-03-22 12:05   ` Peter Rabbitson
From: Peter Rabbitson @ 2007-03-22 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

dean gaudet wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> How does one determine the XFS sunit and swidth sizes for a software raid10
>> with 3 copies?
>
> mkfs.xfs uses the GET_ARRAY_INFO ioctl to get the data it needs from
> software raid and select an appropriate sunit/swidth...
>
> although i'm not sure i agree entirely with its choice for raid10:

So do I, especially as it makes no checks for the amount of copies (3 in
my case, not 2).

>it probably doesn't matter.

This was essentially my question. For an array -pf3 -c1024 I get swidth
= 4 * sunit = 4MiB. Is it about right and does it matter at all?

* Re: XFS sunit/swidth for raid10
@ 2007-03-23  6:48     ` dean gaudet
From: dean gaudet @ 2007-03-23  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Rabbitson; +Cc: linux-raid

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Peter Rabbitson wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > How does one determine the XFS sunit and swidth sizes for a software
> > > raid10
> > > with 3 copies?
> >
> > mkfs.xfs uses the GET_ARRAY_INFO ioctl to get the data it needs from
> > software raid and select an appropriate sunit/swidth...
> >
> > although i'm not sure i agree entirely with its choice for raid10:
>
> So do I, especially as it makes no checks for the amount of copies (3 in my
> case, not 2).
>
> > it probably doesn't matter.
>
> This was essentially my question. For an array -pf3 -c1024 I get swidth = 4 *
> sunit = 4MiB. Is it about right and does it matter at all?

how many drives?

-dean

* Re: XFS sunit/swidth for raid10
@ 2007-03-23  8:20       ` Peter Rabbitson
From: Peter Rabbitson @ 2007-03-23  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

dean gaudet wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>
>> dean gaudet wrote:

>>> mkfs.xfs uses the GET_ARRAY_INFO ioctl to get the data it needs from
>>> software raid and select an appropriate sunit/swidth...
>>>
>>> although i'm not sure i agree entirely with its choice for raid10:
>> So do I, especially as it makes no checks for the amount of copies (3 in my
>> case, not 2).
>>
>>> it probably doesn't matter.
>> This was essentially my question. For an array -pf3 -c1024 I get swidth = 4 *
>> sunit = 4MiB. Is it about right and does it matter at all?
>
> how many drives?

Sorry. 4 drives, 3 far copies (so any 2 drives can fail), 1M chunk.

* Re: XFS sunit/swidth for raid10
@ 2007-03-25 19:16         ` dean gaudet
From: dean gaudet @ 2007-03-25 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Rabbitson; +Cc: linux-raid

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Peter Rabbitson wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:

> > > So do I, especially as it makes no checks for the amount of copies (3 in
> > > my
> > > case, not 2).

> > > This was essentially my question. For an array -pf3 -c1024 I get swidth =
> > > 4 *
> > > sunit = 4MiB. Is it about right and does it matter at all?
> >
> > how many drives?
> >

> Sorry. 4 drives, 3 far copies (so any 2 drives can fail), 1M chunk.

my mind continues to be blown by linux raid10.

so that's like raid1 on 4 disks except the copies are offset by 1/4th of
the disk?

i think swidth = 4*sunit is the right config then -- 'cause a read of 4MiB
will stride all 4 disks...

-dean