* Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21  1:02 Security Initiative Team
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Security Initiative Team @ 2007-03-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, xen-users

What's the easiest way to send 1-bit of information from
Xen to a guest domain?

The event channel mechanism seems fairly complicated.

Thanks,
-Brian

---------------------------------
It's here! Your new message!

* RE: [Xen-users] Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21  9:54 ` Petersson, Mats
From: Petersson, Mats @ 2007-03-21  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Security Initiative Team, xen-devel, xen-users

What do you want this 1-bit of information to achieve at the other
end...

Without actually knowing what you're trying to achieve, it's kind of
hard to answer the question.

--
Mats

> The event channel mechanism seems fairly complicated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian
>

> ________________________________
>
> It's here! Your new message!
> Get new email alerts
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.c
om/toolbar/features/mail/>  with the free Yahoo! Toolbar. >
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.c
om/toolbar/features/mail/>

* Re: Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21  9:55 ` Christian Horn
From: Christian Horn @ 2007-03-21  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Security Initiative Team; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 06:02:52PM -0700, Security Initiative Team wrote:
> What's the easiest way to send 1-bit of information from
> Xen to a guest domain?

Maybe an xinetd-service in the domU that executes a command/script and hands
over to it the parameter you send to it from the dom0?

Christian

* Re: Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21 10:25 ` Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2007-03-21 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Security Initiative Team; +Cc: Xen Developers

hi.

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 18:02 -0700, Security Initiative Team wrote:
> What's the easiest way to send 1-bit of information from
> Xen to a guest domain?

depends on your definition of easy.

easy to implement is a UDP packet. socket(), connect(), write().

if overhead matters, take shared memory. this takes a page of memory,
unless you are able to reuse pars of the shared data already being in
place. it may not be the cleanest or portable approach.

if latency matters, you need an event channel to notify upon
transmission.

> The event channel mechanism seems fairly complicated.

but it's a necessity if the data has to be transmitted asynchronously.

regards,
daniel

--

dns@somacoma.net

Wire up your home and stay there.

* RE: [Xen-users] Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21 15:54   ` Security Initiative Team
From: Security Initiative Team @ 2007-03-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petersson, Mats, xen-devel, xen-users

I have some monitoring capabilities set up in Xen
and when that is triggered, I want to notify the DomU
to take some action.

Example: If a certain part of memory is touched, Xen
sees that and wants to inform the DomU of this.

So, all I need is to set a bit somewhere that can
be constantly polled by the DomU (waiting for it to flip)

Thanks,
-Brian

"Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@amd.com> wrote:

> [...]

---------------------------------

* RE: [Xen-users] Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21 15:58     ` Petersson, Mats
From: Petersson, Mats @ 2007-03-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Security Initiative Team, xen-devel, xen-users

And isn't this EXACTLY what the event-channel does?

--
Mats

@ 2007-03-21 16:17       ` Security Initiative Team
From: Security Initiative Team @ 2007-03-21 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petersson, Mats, xen-devel, xen-users

Yes, that's what I figured.

But, I haven't really been able to figure out how to actually implement
a new event channel.

I did create a new Virtual interrupt and registered it on the
DomU side.
I was able to bind to it on the Xen side.
However, the
vcpu_info->evtchn_upcall_pending variable doesn't seem
to get set correctly.
I have v->vcpu_info->evtchn_upcall_mask = 0.

Plus, I'm not quite sure how to do the polling on the DomU side.

If you have a good idea as to how to implement it,
please do let me know.

---------------------------------
Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

* RE: [Xen-users] Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21 16:25         ` Petersson, Mats
From: Petersson, Mats @ 2007-03-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Security Initiative Team, xen-devel

This is definitely a "xen-devel" question, so I removed the Xen-users
from distribution list.

I'm not an expert on Event-channel operations, but it certainly should
be possible to set this up.

This part of the Xen interface document could be useful, I think:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/interface/interfa
ce.html#SECTION00600000000000000000

--
Mats

> "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@amd.com> wrote:

zM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?
> link=ask&sid=396545367>  Enjoy some healthy debate
> in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
> <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TA
zM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?
> link=ask&sid=396545367>

* Re: RE: [Xen-users] Xen --> Guest
@ 2007-03-21 16:42           ` Derek Murray
From: Derek Murray @ 2007-03-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Security Initiative Team; +Cc: Petersson, Mats, xen-devel

Do you require notification in the kernel or in user space? If it
will suffice to get the notification in user space, then you can
simply use the xc_evtchn_* functions in libxc, which enable you to
poll or block on the event channel. See tools/console/daemon/io.c for
an example of where this is used.

Regards,

Derek Murray.