* Re: Font install manual (was: WordPerfect 5.1)
@ 2007-05-17  0:12 ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2007-05-17  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

David Testardi escreveu:
> If the DOS box
> were just a little bigger (i.e. bigger with clean fonts),

Would anyone be interested in writing a Font-Install-Manual for Dosemu?

I absolutely have no time to do it, but I have develloped a modus
operandi to find the fonts of any size, any codepage (GPL) and convert
and install them in X and KDE. I have the docs with very little
explanation which I can translate to english (from portuguese) if
nescessary, and answer questions...

It will need some trimming and testing but it is all there!!

I have seen in the recent past, many many questions about this topic,
and maybe someone volunteers a a contributor, with my contribution in
the background... Reasonable Linux konledge would be nescessary, just
enough to edit scripts and undersand some comments

Alain

* Re: Font install manual
@ 2007-05-17  2:02   ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-17  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain M.; +Cc: dosEmu-list

Alain M. wrote:

> David Testardi escreveu:
>> If the DOS box were just a little bigger (i.e. bigger with clean fonts),
>
> Would anyone be interested in writing a Font-Install-Manual for Dosemu?
>
> I absolutely have no time to do it, but I have develloped a modus
> operandi to find the fonts of any size, any codepage (GPL) and convert
> and install them in X and KDE. I have the docs with very little
> explanation which I can translate to english (from portuguese) if
> nescessary, and answer questions...
>
> It will need some trimming and testing but it is all there!!
>
> I have seen in the recent past, many many questions about this topic,
> and maybe someone volunteers a a contributor, with my contribution in
> the background... Reasonable Linux konledge would be nescessary, just
> enough to edit scripts and undersand some comments
>
> Alain

I would be very interested in  a simple tutorial on how to install
fonts.  My very recent thread "Howto specify a dosemu font' goes into my
difficulties in getting this done.

I finally suceeded by using a combination of the following programs
but I don't really know what they do or what order to execute them in.
So the tools are there.

   I used some combination of:
mkfontdir - create an index of X font files in a directory
fc-cache -f -v
xset - set user preferences for X
    see xset fp rehash to reset the font paths to current value.

I'd be willing to help with your project.  I've used Linux for six+
years and have a fair familiarity with scripts and have written about a
hundred for my own use.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

* WordPerfect 5.1 on DOSEMU 1.4.0 (wow!)
@ 2007-05-17  3:07 David Testardi
From: David Testardi @ 2007-05-17  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Sirs/Madams,

I just wanted to let you know that WordPerfect 5.1 runs nearly
perfectly on the latest DOSEMU, and it was easy (even for a Linux
newbie like me) to set up on Kubuntu.

As far as I can tell, everything in WP works just like it should
(well, with the exception of a tiny F5-F5 feature that doesn't work
on recent Windows versions either), and I'm absolutely impressed!
If the DOS box were just a little bigger (i.e. bigger with clean
fonts), I wouldn't even know I wasn't running DR-OpenDOS 7.02 (which
I run also).  No delays, no crashes (so far!), and no surprises!

[I tried installing another small DOS program with sound, and it
worked perfectly too.]

Maybe I will be able to say "Hasta la Vista!" to Windows!  I never
upgraded past 98SE and I tried my first Linux distribution in 1999
(Caldera OpenLinux) and several since then but couldn't get them bug
free or functional enough to make the effort worthwhile to switch.

Now, I see no reason not to switch to Linux!  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

David Testardi

* Re: Font install manual
@ 2007-05-17  3:22     ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2007-05-17  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

Ok here goes some part of it (I will sent it to the list so that others
can contribute).

Some of it I have for compiling from svn and some por post installing,
so please forgive me if it may get confusing.

--------------
Step 1) You will need a program to convert the fonts from the debian
project. The program is pcftobdf available, from
<http://www.tsg.ne.jp/GANA/S/pcf2bdf/>

tar -xzf pcf2bdf-1.04.tgz
# modify the Makefile.gcc (some line) from:
CC		= gcc
CC		= g++
# install
make -f Makefile.gcc clean
sudo make -f Makefile.gcc install
# it would be nice if it could be uploaded somewhere in dosemu site
already corrected :)

-------------
Step 2) Get the VGA fonts from project debian/terminus
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/xfonts-terminus-dos
# downlaos the file: xfonts-terminus-dos_4.12-1_all.deb
# it is a newer version now...

# I don't know how to open it command line, so I opened it with ARK,
# and into the directory data.tar.gz I chose the file I want, in this case
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf.gz
#and drag it to somewhere, they are identified as: inthis case 14 pixels
heigh and cp850.
# unzip:
gunzip -c ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf.gz >ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf
# now you need to convert it to dosemu format:
/usr/local/bin/pcf2bdf -o vga8x14-cp850.bdf ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf
/usr/local/bin/pcf2bdf -o vga10x20-cp850.bdf ter-u20b_ibm850.pcf
# I rename the font to a more dos-like name

Step 3) Install the font with dosemu compiled from source
# Copy the bdf file to the etc directory in dosemu
# Copy the second line of the .bdf file to etc/dosemu.alias like this:
vga8x14-cp850  -xos4-Terminus-Bold-R-Normal--14-140-72-72-C-80-IBM-CP850
vga10x20-cp850 -xos4-Terminus-Bold-R-Normal--20-200-72-72-C-100-IBM-CP850
# delete the directory /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts
# and reinstall dosemu compilado compiled from fonts

----------
or) for dosemu in rpm (I don't find good annotations)
# install and reconfigure manualy the fonts in
/usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts/
# you also need to edit manualy the alias file in the font directory
# similar to step 3 above
# reconfigur X to recognize the fonts
mkfontdir /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts
xset fp rehash
# but this needs .pcf.gz files, dosemu's install creates them
# I will have to look more if I can find how to do it.

I hope this is a good start,
Alain

* Re: Font install manual
@ 2007-05-17  4:06       ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-17  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain M.; +Cc: dosEmu-list

Alain M. wrote:
> Ok here goes some part of it (I will sent it to the list so that others
> can contribute).
>
> Some of it I have for compiling from svn and some por post installing,
> so please forgive me if it may get confusing.
>
> --------------
> Step 1) You will need a program to convert the fonts from the debian
> project. The program is pcftobdf available, from
> <http://www.tsg.ne.jp/GANA/S/pcf2bdf/>
>
> tar -xzf pcf2bdf-1.04.tgz
> # modify the Makefile.gcc (some line) from:
> CC        = gcc
> CC        = g++
> # install
> make -f Makefile.gcc clean
> sudo make -f Makefile.gcc install
> # it would be nice if it could be uploaded somewhere in dosemu site
> already corrected :)
>
> -------------
> Step 2) Get the VGA fonts from project debian/terminus
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/xfonts-terminus-dos
> # downlaos the file: xfonts-terminus-dos_4.12-1_all.deb
> # it is a newer version now...
>
> # I don't know how to open it command line, so I opened it with ARK,
> # and into the directory data.tar.gz I chose the file I want, in this case
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf.gz
> #and drag it to somewhere, they are identified as: inthis case 14 pixels
> heigh and cp850.
> # unzip:
> gunzip -c ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf.gz >ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf
> # now you need to convert it to dosemu format:
> /usr/local/bin/pcf2bdf -o vga8x14-cp850.bdf ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf
> /usr/local/bin/pcf2bdf -o vga10x20-cp850.bdf ter-u20b_ibm850.pcf
> # I rename the font to a more dos-like name
>
> Step 3) Install the font with dosemu compiled from source
> # Copy the bdf file to the etc directory in dosemu
> # Copy the second line of the .bdf file to etc/dosemu.alias like this:
> vga8x14-cp850  -xos4-Terminus-Bold-R-Normal--14-140-72-72-C-80-IBM-CP850
> vga10x20-cp850 -xos4-Terminus-Bold-R-Normal--20-200-72-72-C-100-IBM-CP850
> # delete the directory /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts
> # and reinstall dosemu compilado compiled from fonts
>
> ----------
> or) for dosemu in rpm (I don't find good annotations)
> # install and reconfigure manualy the fonts in
> /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts/
> # you also need to edit manualy the alias file in the font directory
> # similar to step 3 above
> # reconfigur X to recognize the fonts
> mkfontdir /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts
> xset fp rehash
> # but this needs .pcf.gz files, dosemu's install creates them
> # I will have to look more if I can find how to do it.
>
> I hope this is a good start,
> Alain
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-msdos" in

Alain I'm going to bottom post my entire reply so as not to get
confused.  First let me ask if you are speaking about running xdosemu in
an xterm as I do or are you talking about running dosemu in a terminal
(no X)?

I was able to obtains fonts ready to go by
apt-get xfonts-dosemu

This installs the fonts in
/usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts

Those fonts are:
vga10x20-cp866.pcf.gz  vga11x19.pcf.gz  vga8x19.pcf.gz    vga.pcf.gz
vga10x24.pcf.gz        vga12x30.pcf.gz  vga-cp866.pcf.gz

 From there it was just a case of running the programs:
mkfontdir - create an index of X font files in a directory
fc-cache -f -v
xset - set user preferences for X
    see xset fp rehash to reset the font paths to current value.

I'm not sure why you are compiling stuff.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

* Re: Font install manual
@ 2007-05-17 16:52         ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2007-05-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

All of this is for X. I use it either locally with a a konsole window
configured for minimum border, or remotely with ssh.

INHO xdosemu woks much better then dosemu once you have Xfonts
installed. With VGA in graphic mode it is much worse.

If you are not interested, I will seve the translation and wait for
another volunteer ;-)

It would be nice if two sizes of fonts (14 as historical and for small
800x600 screens and a bigger one) in a few codepages, as present in the
xfonts-terminus-dos project were incorporated in dosemu. So that it
would be done once and for all...

Alain