* Howto specify a dosemu font?
@ 2007-05-15 15:51 Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-15 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosemu, freedos-user

I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
# $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h

My specified satisfactory font in ~/.dosemurc is:
$_X_font = "vga12x30"           # The biggest 11" wide x 8.5"high

I'm using Kubuntu Feisty Fawn and invoke dosemu with /usr/bin/xdosemu.

My fonts for dosemu are in ~/.fonts.  They used to work in the previous
Kubuntu version Dapper Dan.

In the ~/.fonts directory I have run mkfontdir to create a fonts.dir and
fonts.alias.

I also ran fc-cache with the following results:
lba@kinda ~ $ fc-cache -f -v ~/.fonts
/home/lba/.fonts: caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs
/var/cache/fontconfig: not cleaning unwritable cache directory
/home/lba/.fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
fc-cache: succeeded

My /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf is stock and all lines are commented out
except for the single line of
$_hdimage = "freedos:ro"

Have I missed a vital step?

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

* Re: Howto specify a dosemu font?
@ 2007-05-15 21:17 ` David Raleigh Arnold
From: David Raleigh Arnold @ 2007-05-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freedos-user; +Cc: linux-msdos

Larry Alkoff wrote:

> I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
> than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
> # $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h

It took me a very long time to find out that I could use xdosemu
and drag the window to fill the screen and it would use a larger
font automatically.  You knew that though, right?  daveA

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/

* Re: Howto specify a dosemu font?
@ 2007-05-16 14:45   ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Raleigh Arnold; +Cc: linux-msdos, freedos-user

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>
>> I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
>> than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
>> # $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h
>
> It took me a very long time to find out that I could use xdosemu
> and drag the window to fill the screen and it would use a larger
> font automatically.  You knew that though, right?  daveA

Hello David.  No, I did not know that.
I just tried to adjust the Kterm with dosemu running and the window does
not adjust at all.

This might possibly be the font I'm running, which was selected because
I wanted a bigger Kterm - the larger font seems to provide a larger
Kterm window to accommodate it.

My large font is
   $_X_font = "vga12x30"           # The biggest 11" wide x 8.5"high

What is your font setting?  Maybe yours is adjustable and mine is not?

Larry

--

@ 2007-05-16 17:12     ` Mike McCarty
From: Mike McCarty @ 2007-05-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>
>> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
>>> than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
>>> # $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h

The way I specify the font is this...

$ which dos
~/bin/dos

$ cat ~/bin/dos
xterm -pc -fg white -bg black -geometry 80x25 -e dosemu &

After the terminal starts up, I use CTRL-RIGHT-MOUSE and
hold until the window menu comes up, and select HUGE for
the font size.

I don't like xdosemu because of the faint colors on my
screen.

HTH

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.

* Re: Howto specify a dosemu font?
@ 2007-05-17 11:15     ` David Raleigh Arnold
From: David Raleigh Arnold @ 2007-05-17 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos; +Cc: freedos-user

Larry Alkoff wrote:

> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
>>> than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
>>> # $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h
>>
>> It took me a very long time to find out that I could use xdosemu
>> and drag the window to fill the screen and it would use a larger
>> font automatically.  You knew that though, right?  daveA
>>

> Hello David.  No, I did not know that.
> I just tried to adjust the Kterm with dosemu running and the window
> does not adjust at all.
>
> This might possibly be the font I'm running, which was selected
> because I wanted a bigger Kterm - the larger font seems to provide a
> larger Kterm window to accommodate it.
>
> My large font is
>    $_X_font = "vga12x30"           # The biggest 11" wide x 8.5"high
>
> What is your font setting?  Maybe yours is adjustable and mine is not

not dosemu, xdosemu. x, x, x!  I believe xdosemu is nothing but a
wrapper which makes dosemu use the xfonts.  Typing "xdosemu" in
an eterm opened another term, which I don't think was 'e', but I
could be wrong.  IAC, it was adjustable.  daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards

* Re: Howto specify a dosemu font?
@ 2007-05-17 14:25       ` Mike McCarty
From: Mike McCarty @ 2007-05-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos, freedos-user

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> not dosemu, xdosemu. x, x, x!  I believe xdosemu is nothing but a

The repetition like that was hardly necessary. I'm sure he would
have gotten the point with just a statement.

I also reduced some of the cross-posting.

> wrapper which makes dosemu use the xfonts.  Typing "xdosemu" in

On my machine, it's not even that:

$ which xdosemu
/usr/local/bin/xdosemu
$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/xdosemu
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 6 Oct 14  2005 /usr/local/bin/xdosemu -> dosemu

Looks like it's just a link to me. Presumably the executable
checks its invocation.

> an eterm opened another term, which I don't think was 'e', but I
> could be wrong.  IAC, it was adjustable.  daveA

Yes, on my machine as well. But, as I commented, I find the
display dim.

@ 2007-05-17 15:58       ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-17 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Raleigh Arnold; +Cc: linux-msdos, freedos-user

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>
>> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

>>> It took me a very long time to find out that I could use xdosemu
>>> and drag the window to fill the screen and it would use a larger
>>> font automatically.  You knew that though, right?  daveA
>>>
>> Hello David.  No, I did not know that.
>> I just tried to adjust the Kterm with dosemu running and the window
>> does not adjust at all.
>>
>> This might possibly be the font I'm running, which was selected
>> because I wanted a bigger Kterm - the larger font seems to provide a
>> larger Kterm window to accommodate it.
>>
>> My large font is
>>    $_X_font = "vga12x30"           # The biggest 11" wide x 8.5"high
>>
>> What is your font setting?  Maybe yours is adjustable and mine is not
>
> not dosemu, xdosemu. x, x, x!  I believe xdosemu is nothing but a
> wrapper which makes dosemu use the xfonts.  Typing "xdosemu" in
> an eterm opened another term, which I don't think was 'e', but I
> could be wrong.  IAC, it was adjustable.  daveA

Sorry for the confusion David.  I always start dosemu in KDE with
xdosemu either from the command line or icon.

Actually xdosemu is soft linked to dosemu but the script can tell which
way it was called and act accordingly.

Larry

--

@ 2007-05-17 17:29   ` Mike McCarty
From: Mike McCarty @ 2007-05-17 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Raleigh Arnold; +Cc: linux-msdos

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>

>>I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
>>than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
>># $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h
>

> It took me a very long time to find out that I could use xdosemu
> and drag the window to fill the screen and it would use a larger
> font automatically.  You knew that though, right?  daveA

BTW, also with xdosemu one can use CTRL-ALT-F to toggle full-screen
mode.

@ 2007-05-17 20:51     ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-17 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McCarty; +Cc: David Raleigh Arnold, linux-msdos

Mike McCarty wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>>

>>> I am trying to specify a larger font for dosemu 1.2.2
>>> than the default font specified in ~/.dosemu of
>>> # $_X_font = ""                 # default 8.5"w x 4.25"h
>>

>> It took me a very long time to find out that I could use xdosemu
>> and drag the window to fill the screen and it would use a larger
>> font automatically.  You knew that though, right?  daveA
>
> BTW, also with xdosemu one can use CTRL-ALT-F to toggle full-screen
> mode.
>
> Mike

Very nice Mike.  Another keeper for my nfo file.

Larry

--

@ 2007-05-20  9:22         ` David Raleigh Arnold
From: David Raleigh Arnold @ 2007-05-20  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos; +Cc: freedos-user

Mike McCarty wrote:

> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>> not dosemu, xdosemu. x, x, x!  I believe xdosemu is nothing but a
>
> The repetition like that was hardly necessary. I'm sure he would
> have gotten the point with just a statement

Absolutely.  I was in a hurry and impatient to share my ignorance.

Why can't Larry A. enlarge his xdosemu window by dragging?  Is he
missing dosemu fonts or xfonts?

> Yes, on my machine as well. But, as I commented, I find the
> display dim.

That's true, but it's better than tiny.  daveA

--

@ 2007-05-20 19:18           ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2007-05-20 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Raleigh Arnold, freedos-user; +Cc: linux-msdos

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>>> not dosemu, xdosemu. x, x, x!  I believe xdosemu is nothing but a
>> The repetition like that was hardly necessary. I'm sure he would
>> have gotten the point with just a statement
>
> Absolutely.  I was in a hurry and impatient to share my ignorance.
>
> Why can't Larry A. enlarge his xdosemu window by dragging?  Is he
> missing dosemu fonts or xfonts?
>
>> Yes, on my machine as well. But, as I commented, I find the
>> display dim.
>
> That's true, but it's better than tiny.  daveA

I have learned how to drag and enlarge the xdosemu window but I don't
like the look of the fonts.

When I use the default font in .dosemurc, both xterm and konsole (KDE)
will re-size.

However, I prefer in .xdosrmurc to specify the
$_X_font = "vga12x30"
which is a large 11" wide x 8.5" high font.
The window apparently gets fixed by the size of the font.

My only remaining problem is that I cannot get colors in the directory
listing - just had to throw that off thread statement in.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux