* Fwd: Re:  kvm-31 seg fault
@ 2007-07-24 22:02 Chris Clayton
       [not found] ` <200707242202.05192.chris2553-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Clayton @ 2007-07-24 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Forgot to cc this to the list, sorry

Subject: Re: [kvm-devel] kvm-31 seg fault
Date: Tuesday 24 July 2007
From: Chris Clayton <chris2553-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
To: Avi Kivity <avi-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>

Hi again Avi,

On Sunday 22 July 2007, you wrote:
> Chris Clayton wrote:

> >> Please send it to me.  What guest are you running?  Is the host 32-bit
> >> or 64-bit?
> >
> > Attached is the log from 2.6.22-git17
> >
> > The host is 32bit and the guest is freebsd-6.2 although I get the same
> > seg fault with slackware 10.2 and damn small linux 3.1 (all 32 bit).
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't help.  Can you generate a core ('ulimit -c
> unlimited' may help) and get a stacktrace from gdb?

I've been doing some more digging around here and thought I'd report my
findings. I've found that under kvm 31 and 33, qemu-system-x86_64 always
fails with a seg fault when the (__thread) variable vcpu_env (declared at
line 33 of qemu-kvm.c) is accessed in kvm_update_interrupt_request(). I've
inserted useless statements (printf()s and assignments) at the head of the
function, and always get the seg fault at the first access to the variable.

I'm building qemu with gcc-3.4.6, but to eliminate a fault in that compiler,
I've also built the application on my laptop with gcc-3.3.6 and copied the
binary over to my desktop machine. I still get the seg fault.

Sorry if this is just noise on your line, but I thought I'd send it just in
case it's useful.

Chris

* Re: Fwd: Re:  kvm-31 seg fault
       [not found] ` <200707242202.05192.chris2553-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-07-25  3:22   ` Avi Kivity
       [not found]     ` <46A6C1EB.4040104-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-07-25  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Clayton; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Chris Clayton wrote:
> Forgot to cc this to the list, sorry
>
> Subject: Re: [kvm-devel] kvm-31 seg fault
> Date: Tuesday 24 July 2007
> From: Chris Clayton <chris2553-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
> To: Avi Kivity <avi-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
>
> Hi again Avi,
>
> On Sunday 22 July 2007, you wrote:
>
>> Chris Clayton wrote:

>>> Attached is the log from 2.6.22-git17
>>>
>>> The host is 32bit and the guest is freebsd-6.2 although I get the same
>>> seg fault with slackware 10.2 and damn small linux 3.1 (all 32 bit).
>>>
>> Unfortunately that doesn't help.  Can you generate a core ('ulimit -c
>> unlimited' may help) and get a stacktrace from gdb?
>>

> I've been doing some more digging around here and thought I'd report my
> findings. I've found that under kvm 31 and 33, qemu-system-x86_64 always
> fails with a seg fault when the (__thread) variable vcpu_env (declared at
> line 33 of qemu-kvm.c) is accessed in kvm_update_interrupt_request(). I've
> inserted useless statements (printf()s and assignments) at the head of the
> function, and always get the seg fault at the first access to the variable.
>
> I'm building qemu with gcc-3.4.6, but to eliminate a fault in that compiler,
> I've also built the application on my laptop with gcc-3.3.6 and copied the
> binary over to my desktop machine. I still get the seg fault.

What's the host distro and glibc version?  Perhaps they're too old to
support __thread?

> Sorry if this is just noise on your line, but I thought I'd send it just in
> case it's useful.

It isn't noise, this is helping us getting kvm better.

* Re: Fwd: Re:  kvm-31 seg fault
       [not found]     ` <46A6C1EB.4040104-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-07-28  5:28       ` Chris Clayton
From: Chris Clayton @ 2007-07-28  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Chris Clayton wrote:
> > Forgot to cc this to the list, sorry

Thanks Avi, that was it. The distro is (was) Peanut LInux, a Slackware
derivative. But I've been adding, replacing and upgrading software for three
or four years now, so it looks very little like the original. Anyway, it was
glibc. Although it was a version (2.3.6) capable of supporting thread local
storage (TLS), it wasn't compiled to actually do so. I've taken the
opportunity to perform another upgrade and am now running glibc 2.5 with TLS
support and kvm versions 31 and 33 each run fine.

Thanks for your help.

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

* Re: Fwd: Re:  kvm-31 seg fault
@ 2007-07-24 22:30 Gregory Haskins
From: Gregory Haskins @ 2007-07-24 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris2553-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
  Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 22:02 +0000, Chris Clayton wrote:

> I've been doing some more digging around here and thought I'd report my
> findings. I've found that under kvm 31 and 33, qemu-system-x86_64 always
> fails with a seg fault when the (__thread) variable vcpu_env (declared at
> line 33 of qemu-kvm.c) is accessed in kvm_update_interrupt_request(). I've
> inserted useless statements (printf()s and assignments) at the head of the
> function, and always get the seg fault at the first access to the variable.
>
> I'm building qemu with gcc-3.4.6, but to eliminate a fault in that compiler,
> I've also built the application on my laptop with gcc-3.3.6 and copied the
> binary over to my desktop machine. I still get the seg fault.
>
> Sorry if this is just noise on your line, but I thought I'd send it just in
> case it's useful.

If you can, run your failing setup under valgrind.  Its great for
finding stuff like that.

Regards,
-Greg