* [Qemu-devel] Hello Friends !! need some help !!
@ 2007-04-11 13:11 gaurav gunjan jha
From: gaurav gunjan jha @ 2007-04-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello Friends

i am a new user of Qemu. i am trying to create images with it but am not
able to
also the documentation on internet is not good enough ...kindly help me hw
to proceed

i m on suse linux 10.0 and have installed the qemu for suse available
i then created the disk image with the command

qemu-img create -f qcow linux2.img 100M
Formating 'linux2.img', fmt=qcow, size=102400 kB

but when i invoke the command qemu linux3.img then i get the
a new terminal window and the following display on it
the Fatal error .boot from hard dik failed

what option i need to set to boot from hard disk?
i want to know that if i want to install Open Afs on this linux image do i
need to
install another operating system on it?
How should i start installing stuffs on this new image?

warm regards
gaurav jha
Enea,Italy

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Hello Friends !! need some help !!
@ 2007-04-11 13:42 ` Christian MICHON
From: Christian MICHON @ 2007-04-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On 4/11/07, gaurav gunjan jha <crazytitan05@gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
> qemu-img create -f qcow linux2.img 100M
> Formating 'linux2.img', fmt=qcow, size=102400 kB
>
> but when i invoke the command qemu linux3.img then i get the
> a new terminal window and the following display on it
> the Fatal error .boot from hard dik failed
>
> what option i need to set to boot from hard disk?

it's not going to work if you just created linux2.img and you
intend to boot linux3.img by the way. :)

quite likely, here's the flow you need:
1) qemu-img create -f qcow linux2.img 100M
2) qemu -L <path_to_qemu_bios> -hda linux2.img -cdrom
<an_iso_that_can_install_an_os> -boot d
3) once the os is installed:
   qemu -L <path_to_qemu_bios> -hda linux2.img

I disagree with the statement: "documentation on internet is not good enough".
You obviously missed this very good link:
http://kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/QuickStartGuide

--
Christian

From: gaurav gunjan jha @ 2007-04-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)