* Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08  1:10 Johannes Schindelin
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-08  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git, msysgit

Hi,

I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:

	http://msysgit.googlecode.com/

Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_ recommend
using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike git.git
developer community, the msysGit team is heavily undermanned.

Known issues

- Some commands are not yet supported on Windows and excluded from the
  installation; namely: git archimport, git cvsexportcommit, git
  cvsimport, git cvsserver, git filter-branch, git instaweb, git
  send-email, git shell.

- The Logitec QuickCam software can cause spurious crashes. See "Why does
  make often crash creating a sh.exe.stackdump file when I try to compile
  my source code?" in the MinGW FAQs
  (http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/FAQ).

- The Quick Launch icon will only be installed for the user running setup
  (typically the Administrator). This is a technical restriction and will
  not change.

- Git Bash launched through the Explorer shell extension does not have the
  git icon in its taskbar. This is a technical restriction and will not
  change.

- git send-mail does not work properly (Issue 27).

- curl uses $HOME/_netrc instead of $HOME/.netrc.

- If you want to specify a different location for --upload-pack, you have
  to start the absolute path with two slashes. Otherwise MSys will mangle
  the path.

- git clone fails when the repository contains UTF-8 filepaths (Issue 80).

Changes since Git-1.6.1-preview20081225

New Features
- Comes with official git 1.6.2.
- Comes with upgraded vim 7.2.
- Compiled with GCC 4.3.3.
- The user can choose the preferred CR/LF behavior in the installer now.
- Peter Kodl contributed support for hardlinks on Windows.
- The bash prompt now shows information about the current repository.

Bugfixes
- If supported by the file system, pack files can grow larger than 2gb.
- Comes with updated msys-1.0.dll (should fix some Vista issues).
- Assorted fixes to support the new libexec/git-core/ layout better.
- Read-only files can be properly replaced now.
- git-svn is included again (original caveats still apply).
- Obsolete programs from previous installations are cleaned up.

So what are the next steps?

Hannes is busy sorting out the differences between the test suites in
git.git and mingw.git.

Thanks to the awesome efforts of both Hannes and Steffen, the rest of the
differences are really small (the biggest being Peter's hard link patch).
I'll try to put together a patch series in the next few weeks.

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08  2:07 ` Sverre Rabbelier
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Sverre Rabbelier @ 2009-03-08  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

Heya,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 03:10, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> wrote:
> I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:

Good to see you're carrying MSysGit forward again, both you and J6t, thanks!

--
Cheers,

Sverre Rabbelier

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08 11:13 ` Alexander Gavrilov
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander Gavrilov @ 2009-03-08 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msysgit, Johannes.Schindelin; +Cc: git, Junio C Hamano

On Sunday 08 March 2009 04:10:21 Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:
>
> 	http://msysgit.googlecode.com/
>
> Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_ recommend
> using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike git.git
> developer community, the msysGit team is heavily undermanned.
>
> Known issues

I've just noticed that the following git-gui fixes haven't been merged in 1.6.2:

  git-gui: Support more git version notations.
  git-gui: Avoid an infinite rescan loop in handle_empty_diff.
  git-gui: Fix post-commit status with subject in non-locale encoding

The second one is a fix for a rather important problem reported on the msysgit list.
The last one is msysgit bug #181.

Alexander

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08 11:54   ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-08 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Gavrilov; +Cc: msysgit, git, Junio C Hamano

Hi,

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Alexander Gavrilov wrote:

> On Sunday 08 March 2009 04:10:21 Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> > basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:
> >
> > 	http://msysgit.googlecode.com/
> >
> > Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_ recommend
> > using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike git.git
> > developer community, the msysGit team is heavily undermanned.
> >
> > Known issues
>
> I've just noticed that the following git-gui fixes haven't been merged in 1.6.2:
>
>   git-gui: Support more git version notations.
>   git-gui: Avoid an infinite rescan loop in handle_empty_diff.
>   git-gui: Fix post-commit status with subject in non-locale encoding
>
> The second one is a fix for a rather important problem reported on the msysgit list.
> The last one is msysgit bug #181.

Thanks for keeping an eye on things.  Would you agree that we can wait a
few days, maybe this whole week, to collect issues like these, and then
release another installer with the issues fixed?

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08 12:59 ` Lee Henson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lee Henson @ 2009-03-08 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes.Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

Thanks to everyone involved in the production of this installer!

2009/3/8 Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>

> Hi,
>
> I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:
>
>        http://msysgit.googlecode.com/
>
> Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_ recommend
> using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike git.git
> developer community, the msysGit team is heavily undermanned.
>
> Known issues
>
> - Some commands are not yet supported on Windows and excluded from the
>  installation; namely: git archimport, git cvsexportcommit, git
>  cvsimport, git cvsserver, git filter-branch, git instaweb, git
>  send-email, git shell.
>
> - The Logitec QuickCam software can cause spurious crashes. See "Why does
>  make often crash creating a sh.exe.stackdump file when I try to compile
>  my source code?" in the MinGW FAQs
>  (http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/FAQ).
>
> - The Quick Launch icon will only be installed for the user running setup
>  (typically the Administrator). This is a technical restriction and will
>  not change.
>
> - Git Bash launched through the Explorer shell extension does not have the
>  git icon in its taskbar. This is a technical restriction and will not
>  change.
>
> - git send-mail does not work properly (Issue 27).
>
> - curl uses $HOME/_netrc instead of $HOME/.netrc.
>
> - If you want to specify a different location for --upload-pack, you have
>  to start the absolute path with two slashes. Otherwise MSys will mangle
>  the path.
>
> - git clone fails when the repository contains UTF-8 filepaths (Issue 80).
>
> Changes since Git-1.6.1-preview20081225
>
> New Features
> - Comes with official git 1.6.2.
> - Comes with upgraded vim 7.2.
> - Compiled with GCC 4.3.3.
> - The user can choose the preferred CR/LF behavior in the installer now.
> - Peter Kodl contributed support for hardlinks on Windows.
> - The bash prompt now shows information about the current repository.
>
> Bugfixes
> - If supported by the file system, pack files can grow larger than 2gb.
> - Comes with updated msys-1.0.dll (should fix some Vista issues).
> - Assorted fixes to support the new libexec/git-core/ layout better.
> - Read-only files can be properly replaced now.
> - git-svn is included again (original caveats still apply).
> - Obsolete programs from previous installations are cleaned up.
>

> So what are the next steps?
>
> Hannes is busy sorting out the differences between the test suites in
> git.git and mingw.git.
>
> Thanks to the awesome efforts of both Hannes and Steffen, the rest of the
> differences are really small (the biggest being Peter's hard link patch).
> I'll try to put together a patch series in the next few weeks.
>
> Ciao,
> Dscho

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-08 13:26 ` Jakub Narebski
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2009-03-08 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> writes:

> Known issues

> - The Logitec QuickCam software can cause spurious crashes. See "Why does
>   make often crash creating a sh.exe.stackdump file when I try to compile
>   my source code?" in the MinGW FAQs
>   (http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/FAQ).

You meant issue described here?
  http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Environment_issues

--
Jakub Narebski
Poland

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08 18:43   ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-08 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Narebski; +Cc: git, msysgit

Hi,

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Known issues
>
> > - The Logitec QuickCam software can cause spurious crashes. See "Why does
> >   make often crash creating a sh.exe.stackdump file when I try to compile
> >   my source code?" in the MinGW FAQs
> >   (http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/FAQ).
>
> You meant issue described here?
>   http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Environment_issues

Exactly.

Fixed, committed and pushed.

Thanks,
Dscho

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-08 21:30 ` Christian MICHON
From: Christian MICHON @ 2009-03-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes.Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:
>
>        http://msysgit.googlecode.com/

I noticed the PS1 change too :)

Something is wrong with vim-7.2 apparently: syntax highlighting is not
working apparently.

I'll look at what could be wrong right now.

--
Christian
--

* Re: [msysGit] Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08 21:36   ` Janos Laube
From: Janos Laube @ 2009-03-08 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christian.michon; +Cc: Johannes.Schindelin, git, msysgit

> I'll look at what could be wrong right now.

as vim says, the syntax files in /share/vim/vim72/syntax are missing,
i.e. not included with the installer package :-)

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-08 21:39     ` Christian MICHON
From: Christian MICHON @ 2009-03-08 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janos Laube; +Cc: Johannes.Schindelin, git, msysgit

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Janos Laube <janos.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll look at what could be wrong right now.
>
> as vim says, the syntax files in /share/vim/vim72/syntax are missing,
> i.e. not included with the installer package :-)

there are a few actually, but somehow it's not working. I need to find
out what happened, as I actually provided a git repo to vim-7.2 (I
also need to update this repo).

--
Christian
--
http://detaolb.sourceforge.net/, a linux distribution for Qemu with Git inside !

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-09 10:34 ` Rutger Nijlunsing
From: Rutger Nijlunsing @ 2009-03-09 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 02:10:21AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:
>
> 	http://msysgit.googlecode.com/

[snip]
> Changes since Git-1.6.1-preview20081225
>
> Bugfixes
> - Comes with updated msys-1.0.dll (should fix some Vista issues).

Thanks! This also fixes the 'git hangs 5s without any reason on some
Windows XP machines'!

--
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------------- eludias ed dse.nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2-preview20090308
@ 2009-03-09 10:37   ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-09 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: git, msysgit

Hi,

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Rutger Nijlunsing wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 02:10:21AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
> > basically Git 1.6.2 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:
> >
> > 	http://msysgit.googlecode.com/
> >
> [snip]
> > Changes since Git-1.6.1-preview20081225
> >
> > Bugfixes
> > - Comes with updated msys-1.0.dll (should fix some Vista issues).
>
> Thanks! This also fixes the 'git hangs 5s without any reason on some
> Windows XP machines'!

Good to know!

Thanks,
Dscho

* Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-22 21:17 ` Johannes Schindelin
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-22 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git, msysgit

Hi,

I just released a new version of Git for Windows (TAFKA WinGit).  It is
basically Git 1.6.2.1 plus a few patches.  Please find the installer here:

	http://msysgit.googlecode.com/

Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_ recommend
using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike the git.git
developer community, the msysGit team is heavily undermanned.

Known issues

- Some commands are not yet supported on Windows and excluded from the
  installation; namely: git archimport, git cvsexportcommit, git
  cvsimport, git cvsserver, git filter-branch, git instaweb, git
  send-email, git shell.

- The Logitec QuickCam software can cause spurious crashes. See "Why does
  make often crash creating a sh.exe.stackdump file when I try to compile
  my source code?" on the MinGW Wiki
  (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Environment_issues)

- The Quick Launch icon will only be installed for the user running setup
  (typically the Administrator). This is a technical restriction and will
  not change.

- Git Bash launched through the Explorer shell extension does not have the
  git icon in its taskbar. This is a technical restriction and will not
  change.

- git send-mail does not work properly (Issue 27).

- curl uses $HOME/_netrc instead of $HOME/.netrc.

- If you want to specify a different location for --upload-pack, you have
  to start the absolute path with two slashes. Otherwise MSys will mangle
  the path.

- git and bash have serious problems with non-ASCII file names (Issue 80,
  108, 149, 159, 188).

- If configured to use plink, you will have to connect with putty first,
  as you cannot accept the host key due to the console window being
  blocked (Issue 96).

- MinGW does not support IPv6 yet (Issue 182).

- When run from cmd.exe instead of Git Bash, some characters seem to be
  "swallowed" from Git's output (Issue 192).

- There are a few issues with ssh hanging (Issue 197), permission denied
  on renaming pack files (mentioned in Issue 194), and spurious write
  errors during rebase (Issue 200) that seem not to be reproducible on
  most computers.

Changes since Git-1.6.2-preview20090308

New Features

- Comes with official git 1.6.2.1.

- A portable application is shipped in addition to the installer (Issue
  195).

- Comes with a Windows-specific mmap() implementation (Issue 198).

Bugfixes

- ANSI control characters are no longer shown verbatim (Issue 124).

- Temporary files are created respecting core.autocrlf (Issue 177).

- The Git Bash prompt is colorful again (Issue 199).

- Fixed crash when hardlinking during a clone failed (Issue 204).

- An infinite loop was fixed in git-gui (Issue 205).

- The ssh protocol is always used with plink.exe (Issue 209).

- More vim files are shipped now, so that syntax highlighting works.

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
@ 2009-03-22 22:53   ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2009-03-22 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: Johannes Sixt, git, msysgit

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:17:23PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> - Some commands are not yet supported on Windows and excluded from the
>   installation; namely: git archimport, git cvsexportcommit, git
>   cvsimport, git cvsserver, git filter-branch, git instaweb, git
>   send-email, git shell.

A few people have asked about filter-branch on Windows recently; JSixt
indicated that it works from his built version:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/112103

Is it time to include it?

-Peff

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
@ 2009-03-22 23:25     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-22 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Johannes Sixt, git, msysgit

Hi,

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Jeff King wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:17:23PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> > - Some commands are not yet supported on Windows and excluded from the
> >   installation; namely: git archimport, git cvsexportcommit, git
> >   cvsimport, git cvsserver, git filter-branch, git instaweb, git
> >   send-email, git shell.
>
> A few people have asked about filter-branch on Windows recently;

I am not aware of any.  But then, I think nobody mentioned it on the
msysgit list (which would be the correct place), and I am likely to have
missed it if it was sent elsewhere.

> JSixt indicated that it works from his built version:
>
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/112103
>
> Is it time to include it?

Actually, not only Hannes' version runs the test t7003 okay, but also
4msysgit's version.

But let's reduce the differences between git.git and 4msysgit.git further
first.

I'll wait with the next Git for Windows release until the next official
Git version is released, anyway.  Or if Steffen wants to take msysGit over
again when he comes back, he will wait until the next official Git
versions is released, anyway.

@ 2009-03-23  2:53       ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2009-03-23  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: Johannes Sixt, git, msysgit

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:25:57AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > A few people have asked about filter-branch on Windows recently;
>
> I am not aware of any.  But then, I think nobody mentioned it on the
> msysgit list (which would be the correct place), and I am likely to have
> missed it if it was sent elsewhere.

They were less feature request and more mentioned in the middle of other
discussions. I am thinking specifically of:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/112253/focus=112439
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/111722/focus=112103

> Actually, not only Hannes' version runs the test t7003 okay, but also
> 4msysgit's version.
>
> But let's reduce the differences between git.git and 4msysgit.git further
> first.

OK. I just wanted to make you aware of the existing threads and Hannes'
message, since as you mentioned they _weren't_ on the msysgit list.

-Peff

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
@ 2009-03-23 10:59         ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-23 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Johannes Sixt, git, msysgit

Hi,

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Jeff King wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:25:57AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> > > A few people have asked about filter-branch on Windows recently;
> >
> > I am not aware of any.  But then, I think nobody mentioned it on the
> > msysgit list (which would be the correct place), and I am likely to
> > have missed it if it was sent elsewhere.
>
> They were less feature request and more mentioned in the middle of other
> discussions. I am thinking specifically of:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/112253/focus=112439
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/111722/focus=112103

Well, I will miss such in-the-middle-of-unrelated-discussions remarks.
Even if some people think I ridicule them when I say that I do not have
much time, it is a fact.  If I did not like Git as much as I do, I would
have stopped long time ago for sanity reasons.

> > Actually, not only Hannes' version runs the test t7003 okay, but also
> > 4msysgit's version.
> >
> > But let's reduce the differences between git.git and 4msysgit.git
> > further first.
>
> OK. I just wanted to make you aware of the existing threads and Hannes'
> message, since as you mentioned they _weren't_ on the msysgit list.

FWIW I ran the test while replying to your mail yesterday, and created the
'filter-branch' branch in msysgit.git.  I'll probably just merge it into
our 'master' later today.

@ 2009-03-23 22:03   ` Ludvig Strigeus
From: Ludvig Strigeus @ 2009-03-23 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> wrote:
> - There are a few issues with ssh hanging (Issue 197), permission denied
>  on renaming pack files (mentioned in Issue 194), and spurious write
>  errors during rebase (Issue 200) that seem not to be reproducible on
>  most computers.

I had this problem with write errors during rebase. I tracked it down
to having the files open in Visual Studio while doing the rebase. As
soon as a file is changed, Visual Studio seems to open the file (as
part of its feature to detect if files changed on disk), which
confliced with git for some reason. As soon as I closed MSVS, rebase
worked well.

/Ludde

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
@ 2009-03-23 23:07     ` Rostislav Svoboda
From: Rostislav Svoboda @ 2009-03-23 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git, msysgit

Hi
I use the new msysgit 1.6.2.1-preview20090322 exactly one day but it
seems to be significantly slower than the previous version...
Am I the only one who observes it?

Bost

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
@ 2009-03-24  1:35   ` Markus Heidelberg
From: Markus Heidelberg @ 2009-03-24  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git, msysgit

Hi,

the company I'm working for plans to switch from our current commercial
VCS, now I have the job to compare different tools (svn, git). Our
clients run on Windows and probably our offices in foreign countries
should work on our repository, too.

Johannes Schindelin, 22.03.2009:
> Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_ recommend
> using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike the git.git
> developer community, the msysGit team is heavily undermanned.
>
> Known issues

I favor git, but I have to be objective and if there are serious issues,
this will obviously influence the decision. Since the list below is not
complete, I guess these are just the most serious issues, and then it
doesn't sound too scary for the everyday use. Let me comment on them for
our workflow:

> - Some commands are not yet supported on Windows and excluded from the
>   installation; namely: git archimport, git cvsexportcommit, git
>   cvsimport, git cvsserver, git filter-branch, git instaweb, git
>   send-email, git shell.

Not necessary.

> - The Logitec QuickCam software can cause spurious crashes. See "Why does
>   make often crash creating a sh.exe.stackdump file when I try to compile
>   my source code?" on the MinGW Wiki
>   (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Environment_issues)

Not plugged-in.

> - The Quick Launch icon will only be installed for the user running setup
>   (typically the Administrator). This is a technical restriction and will
>   not change.

Never mind.

> - Git Bash launched through the Explorer shell extension does not have the
>   git icon in its taskbar. This is a technical restriction and will not
>   change.

Never mind. Probably I would be the only one using the CLI anyway.

> - git send-mail does not work properly (Issue 27).

Not necessary.

> - curl uses $HOME/_netrc instead of $HOME/.netrc.

Never mind.

> - If you want to specify a different location for --upload-pack, you have
>   to start the absolute path with two slashes. Otherwise MSys will mangle
>   the path.

Only for msysgit on the server side, right? Then, never mind.

> - git and bash have serious problems with non-ASCII file names (Issue 80,
>   108, 149, 159, 188).

This may be a problem.

> - If configured to use plink, you will have to connect with putty first,
>   as you cannot accept the host key due to the console window being
>   blocked (Issue 96).

Just use OpenSSH?
Problem in GUIs or only CLI?

> - MinGW does not support IPv6 yet (Issue 182).

Not necessary.

> - When run from cmd.exe instead of Git Bash, some characters seem to be
>   "swallowed" from Git's output (Issue 192).

Never mind.

> - There are a few issues with ssh hanging (Issue 197), permission denied
>   on renaming pack files (mentioned in Issue 194), and spurious write
>   errors during rebase (Issue 200) that seem not to be reproducible on
>   most computers.

OK, strange and not reproducible errors are a little bit scary.

So, most of these issues I don't consider to be serious for us, but I
guess the remaining "real" issues let you stay at your opinion, not to
recommend using it, don't they?

I suppose there are already people using msysgit productive at work,
are these only people who know how to fix such problems?

Regardless of git's Windows problems, another problem will probably be
finding a decent GUI that suits my colleagues.

Markus

* Re: Git for Windows 1.6.2.1-preview20090322
@ 2009-03-24  2:04     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-24  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heidelberg; +Cc: git, msysgit

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Markus Heidelberg wrote:

> the company I'm working for plans to switch from our current commercial
> VCS, now I have the job to compare different tools (svn, git). Our
> clients run on Windows and probably our offices in foreign countries
> should work on our repository, too.

This...

> Johannes Schindelin, 22.03.2009:
> > Disclaimer: Git for Windows is still in a state where I do _not_
> > recommend using it unless you have the means to fix issues.  Unlike
> > the git.git developer community, the msysGit team is heavily
> > undermanned.

... and this make me believe that Git for Windows is not at all what you
want.  You seem to want to purely _use_ Git, and at this time, it is just
not there.

It would be different if you/your company were willing to pay for support,
but I just do not see from your mail that you are willing to contribute to
Git for Windows.

> > - If you want to specify a different location for --upload-pack, you
> >   have to start the absolute path with two slashes. Otherwise MSys
> >   will mangle the path.
>
> Only for msysgit on the server side, right? Then, never mind.

Nope.  There is no msysgit on the server side.  So no, it applies to the
client side.

> > - git and bash have serious problems with non-ASCII file names (Issue
> >   80, 108, 149, 159, 188).
>
> This may be a problem.

Indeed.  I mean, 5 issues, and none of them resolved.

> > - If configured to use plink, you will have to connect with putty
> >   first, as you cannot accept the host key due to the console window
> >   being blocked (Issue 96).
>
> Just use OpenSSH?
> Problem in GUIs or only CLI?

See the issue if you want to know more.

> > - There are a few issues with ssh hanging (Issue 197), permission
> >   denied on renaming pack files (mentioned in Issue 194), and spurious
> >   write errors during rebase (Issue 200) that seem not to be
> >   reproducible on most computers.
>
> OK, strange and not reproducible errors are a little bit scary.

A little scary?  No.  _Very_ scary.

Especially since the involved parties either do not have the time or the
willingness to investigate in detail.

As these issues are not reproducible on my side, it also does not make me
think more highly of that particular Operating System.

> I suppose there are already people using msysgit productive at work, are
> these only people who know how to fix such problems?

Yes.

@ 2009-03-24  2:06     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2009-03-24  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludvig Strigeus; +Cc: git, msysgit