* few questions from a git newbie
@ 2010-02-25 19:26 Levente Kovacs
From: Levente Kovacs @ 2010-02-25 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I am a git newbie, so forgive my ignorance.

I've set up a working system with gitosis.

http://logonex.eu/git/

Currently I can add a repository by doing the following
stuff:

edit gitosis.conf

ssh git@server
mkdir REPO.git
cd REPO.git
git --bare init
exit

git clone git@server:REPO.git
cd REPO
git remote add REPO git@server:REPO.git
touch .gitignore
git add .gitignore
git commit -a
git push origin master

Is this flow is the "right way"? How can I add a repository without ssh'ing to
the server?

Next question is about SVN.

I was using SVN, and now I am migrating from SVN to git. I could import
everything to a new repository. However, I want to reorganize my stuff, and
break it to several repositories. Can I move directories to other
repositories? Or can I partially import a directory from SVN to another
directory in a git repository?

How can I make gitosis to hide certain repositories?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Levente

--
Levente Kovacs
http://logonex.eu

* Re: few questions from a git newbie
@ 2010-02-25 20:35 ` Christian MICHON
From: Christian MICHON @ 2010-02-25 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Levente Kovacs; +Cc: git

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Levente Kovacs <leventelist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am a git newbie, so forgive my ignorance.

We all started as padawans. :-)

> I've set up a working system with gitosis.

Gitosis has no commits since mid September 2009. I would suggest to
move to gitolite with a very easy setups, especially for newbies. I'll
actually answer more on the rest of your questions as if you would be
using gitolite and not gitosis.

> http://logonex.eu/git/
>
> Currently I can add a repository by doing the following
> stuff:
>
> edit gitosis.conf
>
> ssh git@server
> mkdir REPO.git
> cd REPO.git
> git --bare init
> exit

With gitolite, you clone the gitolite-admin on a remote machine, as
the user who has the admins ssh keys. Under the hood, you still
somehow do ssh, but with gitolite, all it takes is to edit
gitolite.conf, push your changes and the bare repo gets automatically
created on the server.

> git clone git@server:REPO.git
> cd REPO
> git remote add REPO git@server:REPO.git
> touch .gitignore
> git add .gitignore
> git commit -a
> git push origin master
>
> Is this flow is the "right way"? How can I add a repository without ssh'ing to
> the server?

If you cloned it, you should not need to add remotes. If you're a
newbie, I would suggest to use 'git gui' and 'gitk' until you're fully
familiar with the command line.

I'll pass the rest of the email. Never got brainw@shed by SVN...

> How can I make gitosis to hide certain repositories?

You meant on your gitweb ? The first thing you need to do is actually
to secure your gitweb access. Back again to gitolite, a 'ssh gitolite
info' will actually tell you the repos you've access on only. So all
the rest of repos are hidden somehow. Keep in mind to remove gitweb if
you need hidden stuff.

Good luck.

--
Christian