* Broken MS tcp new not syn: better to REJECT or DROP?
@ 2003-01-23 23:01 Phil Crooker
From: Phil Crooker @ 2003-01-23 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi,

We've a recent install of iptables and came across the broken ms tcp
problem. I was wondering, would rejecting the packet be faster than
dropping it for the client?  Comparing the webserv and iptables logs
there doesn't seem to be much correlation. If there is, presumably the
client will wait for a timeout before sending a proper syn packet. Or is
IE too dumb to recognise the reject? Also has anyone found a good way to
test this?

thanks in advance

* Re: Broken MS tcp new not syn: better to REJECT or DROP?
@ 2003-01-30  1:58   ` SBlaze
From: SBlaze @ 2003-01-30  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justin, Phil Crooker; +Cc: netfilter

Fydor discusses this lightly I think in his OS Fingerprint documentation.. It's
prob a little dated though... mayb it will help

http://www.insecure.org

--- justin <cmbb@dslr.net> wrote:
> Is there a web page somewhere on this subject you can point me at?
> "broken ms tcp" ?
>
> thanks -Justin

=====
"No touchy NO TOUCHY! Emperor Kuzko -=Emperor's New Groove=-"

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: Broken MS tcp new not syn: better to REJECT or DROP?
@ 2003-01-30  0:20   ` Athan
From: Athan @ 2003-01-30  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justin; +Cc: Phil Crooker, netfilter

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 06:03:42PM -0500, justin wrote:
> Is there a web page somewhere on this subject you can point me at?
> "broken ms tcp" ?

  I presume they mean this:

	http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/05/2025254&mode=thread
	http://grotto11.com/blog/slash.html?+1039831658

-Ath
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 240 bytes --]

* Re: Broken MS tcp new not syn: better to REJECT or DROP?
       [not found] <3E307456.70104@orix.com.au.>
@ 2003-01-29 23:03 ` justin
From: justin @ 2003-01-29 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Crooker; +Cc: netfilter

@ 2003-01-29 12:41 ` Maciej Soltysiak
From: Maciej Soltysiak @ 2003-01-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Crooker; +Cc: netfilter

> Hi,
>
> We've a recent install of iptables and came across the broken ms tcp
> problem.
Um, i though new, not syn is a result of a conntrack entry expiry.
Ofcourse besides 'on purpose' packet crafting or scanning, etc.

> I was wondering, would rejecting the packet be faster than
> dropping it for the client?
Well, yes. The client's tcp stack on receiving either the tcp rst or icmp
unreach will inform the applicaton about it. Now it's up to the client's
application (eg. IE) to handle to network error properly.

Anyway dropping the packet will get you nowhere, you'll be waiting as much
as the clients application (or the tcp stack) timeout is. Or the user's
patience is :)

> client will wait for a timeout before sending a proper syn packet.
Really? ms ie sending unproper syn packets? What is so unproper about it?
It must be something else.

> IE too dumb to recognise the reject?
Well, try -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset, it will result as IE finding
that the port is closed.

Also this works great for blocking ads in messenger software, just have to
know the ip/port of the ads.

Regards,
Maciej