* ls not working
@ 2016-05-25  4:52 Derek Johansen
       [not found] ` <57454B74.7010101@gmail.com>
From: Derek Johansen @ 2016-05-25  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-8086

 I am running Ubuntu 14.something as a virtualbox guest on a windows 8.1 host.

I start elks with qemu-system-i386 -fda full3 from elkscmd directory.

I log in as root.

When I get the prompt, if I do a

cd /bin
ls

or

cd /usr
ls

the emulator hangs and I have to CTRL-C out of it and restart qemu.

* Re: ls not working
@ 2016-05-25  4:55 ` Jody Bruchon
       [not found] ` <57454B74.7010101@gmail.com>
From: Jody Bruchon @ 2016-05-25  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-8086; +Cc: Derek Johansen

On 2016-05-25 00:52, Derek Johansen wrote:
 >  I am running Ubuntu 14.something as a virtualbox guest on a windows
8.1 host.

 > I start elks with qemu-system-i386 -fda full3 from elkscmd directory.

Where did the disk image come from? If you built it yourself, please
make sure you've tested against the latest source code and if so, send
your elks/elks/.config file so we can try to reproduce the problem and
fix it.

* Re: ls not working
@ 2016-05-25  5:53   ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2016-05-25  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jody Bruchon; +Cc: linux-8086

I did a git pull of the elks git site, tried sudo ./build.sh, got the
dev86 missing message, did  a git pull of the lkundrak dev86 git site,
the got a successful elks build using sudo ./build.sh

I didn't change anything when the config menu came up

Here is elks/elks/.config:
#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
#

#
# Just accept the defaults unless you know what you are doing
#

#
# Advanced - for Developers and Hackers only
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
# CONFIG_MODULES is not set

#
# Architecture
#
# CONFIG_ARCH_AUTO is not set
CONFIG_ARCH_IBMPC=y
# CONFIG_ARCH_SIBO is not set
CONFIG_PC_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_PC_XT is not set
# CONFIG_PC_AT is not set
# CONFIG_PC_MCA is not set
# CONFIG_ROMCODE is not set
CONFIG_SMALL_KERNEL=y

#
# Model-specific features
#
CONFIG_IBMPC_CLONE=y
# CONFIG_IBMPC_COMPAQ is not set
# CONFIG_ROOT_READONLY is not set

#
# Memory manager
#
CONFIG_ADVANCED_MM=y
# CONFIG_SWAP is not set

#
# Hardware Facilities
#
CONFIG_CPU_8086=y
# CONFIG_CPU_80186 is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_80286 is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_80386 is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_80486 is not set

#
# System Hardware
#
# CONFIG_HW_FPU is not set
CONFIG_HW_PS2_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_HW_VGA=y

#
# Block Devices
#
CONFIG_HW_FLOPPY_DRIVE=y
CONFIG_HW_HARD_DRIVE=y

#
# Memory Configuration
#
CONFIG_MEM_PAGES=8
# CONFIG_XMS_INT15 is not set
CONFIG_XMS_SIZE=0

#
# BIOS Facilities
#
CONFIG_HW_KEYBOARD_BIOS=y
CONFIG_HW_VIDEO_HOC=y
# CONFIG_HW_259_USE_ORIGINAL_MASK is not set
CONFIG_BOGOMIPS=0
# CONFIG_HW_USE_INT13_FOR_FLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_HW_USE_INT13_FOR_DISKPARMS is not set

#
# 286 Protected Mode Support
#
# CONFIG_286PMODE is not set

#
# Driver Support
#

#
# Block device drivers
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_BIOS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_BFD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_BFD_HARD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_BHD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
# CONFIG_DMA is not set

#
# Additional block devices
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set

#
# Block device options
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CHAR=y

#
# Character device drivers
#
CONFIG_CONSOLE_DIRECT=y
# CONFIG_CONSOLE_BIOS is not set
# CONFIG_CONSOLE_SERIAL is not set
CONFIG_EMUL_ANSI=y
# CONFIG_EMUL_VT52 is not set
# CONFIG_EMUL_NONE is not set
# CONFIG_EMUL_ANSI_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_BE is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_DE is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_DV is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_ES is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_FR is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_IT is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_SE is not set
# CONFIG_KEYMAP_UK is not set
CONFIG_KEYMAP_US=y

#
# Other character devices
#
CONFIG_CHAR_DEV_RS=y
CONFIG_CHAR_DEV_LP=y
CONFIG_CHAR_DEV_MEM=y
CONFIG_PSEUDO_TTY=y
# CONFIG_DEV_META is not set

#
# File systems
#
# CONFIG_FS_RO is not set
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=y
# CONFIG_ROMFS_FS is not set

#
# General filesystem settings
#
# CONFIG_FULL_VFS is not set
CONFIG_FS_EXTERNAL_BUFFER=y
CONFIG_PIPE=y

#
# Executable file formats
#
CONFIG_EXEC_ELKS=y

#
# Network support
#
CONFIG_SOCKET=y
# CONFIG_NANO is not set
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_CSLIP=y
CONFIG_INET_STATUS=y
# CONFIG_UNIX is not set

#
# Advanced socket options
#
# CONFIG_SOCK_CLIENTONLY is not set

#
# Kernel hacking
#
CONFIG_SYS_VERSION=y
# CONFIG_STRACE is not set

@ 2016-05-25  5:55     ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2016-05-25  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jody Bruchon; +Cc: linux-8086

sorry that should be git clone not git pull

@ 2016-05-25  6:56   ` Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU
       [not found]     ` <CAMKR1ysV2G+omnqFEOe2PDiP_14qfvnT3JmPNTqLRTD-6N5jjg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Johansen, linux-8086

Hello,

> So you ran QEMU to virtualize ELKS in an already virtualized Linux
> (Ubuntu) that run in a VirtualBox on a real Windows...
>
> Nice stack :-) !
>
> What about testing ELKS directly in Virtual Box, to avoid that mess ?
>
> MFLD
>

> Le 25/05/2016 06:52, Derek Johansen a écrit :
>>   I am running Ubuntu 14.something as a virtualbox guest on a windows 8.1 host.
>>
>> I start elks with qemu-system-i386 -fda full3 from elkscmd directory.
>>
>> I log in as root.
>>
>> When I get the prompt, if I do a
>>
>> cd /bin
>> ls
>>
>> or
>>
>> cd /usr
>> ls
>>
>> the emulator hangs and I have to CTRL-C out of it and restart qemu.
>> --

* Re: ls not working
@ 2016-05-25  6:58   ` Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU
From: Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Johansen; +Cc: linux-8086

As told by the README, you should not use the /dev86 master branch from
lkundrak, but the latest from Jody:

To build ELKS, you
will need to obtain a copy of Dev86, currently available at:

https://github.com/jbruchon/dev86 <https://github.com/jbruchon/dev86>

When you build dev86, you need to move, copy, or symlink to it in the
ELKS source code root. For a Dev86 source at /usr/src/dev86 do this:

user:/usr/src/elks$ ln -s /usr/src/dev86 dev86

MFLD

* Re: ls not working
       [not found]     ` <CAMKR1ysV2G+omnqFEOe2PDiP_14qfvnT3JmPNTqLRTD-6N5jjg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-05-25  8:44       ` Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU
From: Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirn Gill; +Cc: ELKS

I cannot see how your comment could help in the reported case  ?

In this case, QEMU is used "out of the box", and under the standard
Ubuntu distro, is configured to use KVM, not as a pure software
emulator.

It is known that running such configuration fails if in turn running
in a VM, here VirtualBox. Just have a look to the VB forum.

So my suggestion is to NOT stack two VMs in default configuration (or
to reconfigure QEMU to run only in userspace), and run ELKS directly
in VB (QEMU and VB both emulate a very similar VM by default).

MFLD

> Different hypervisors have different behaviour due to implementing different
> virtual "hardware".
>
> And in this case, qemu is a system emulator, not a VM.
>

> --
> Kirn Gill II
> Mobile: +1 417-763-8638
> VoIP: +1 813-704-0420
> BBM: 7B963E04
> Email: segin2005@gmail.com
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kirn-gill/32/49a/9a6
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU <mfld.fr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>>

>>> So you ran QEMU to virtualize ELKS in an already virtualized Linux
>>> (Ubuntu) that run in a VirtualBox on a real Windows...
>>>
>>> Nice stack :-) !
>>>
>>> What about testing ELKS directly in Virtual Box, to avoid that mess ?
>>>
>>> MFLD

* Re: ls not working
@ 2016-05-25 13:55     ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2016-05-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU; +Cc: linux-8086

If you run .build.sh without dev86 installed in your elks directory,
the error message printed to the console references the lkundrak
dev86.  This needs to be updated to reference the correct dev86 to
avoid confusion and be consistent with the readme.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU
<mfld.fr@gmail.com> wrote:

> As told by the README, you should not use the /dev86 master branch from
> lkundrak, but the latest from Jody:
>
> To build ELKS, you
> will need to obtain a copy of Dev86, currently available at:
>
> https://github.com/jbruchon/dev86 <https://github.com/jbruchon/dev86>
>

> When you build dev86, you need to move, copy, or symlink to it in the
> ELKS source code root. For a Dev86 source at /usr/src/dev86 do this:
>
> user:/usr/src/elks$ ln -s /usr/src/dev86 dev86
>
> MFLD

* Re: ls not working
       [not found] ` <57454B74.7010101@gmail.com>
@ 2016-05-25 13:59   ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2016-05-25 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU; +Cc: linux-8086

I  was not able to get elks to run in VB (although my last attempt was
several months ago).  I will attempt to do so again...

@ 2016-05-25 14:35       ` Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU
From: Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Johansen; +Cc: ELKS

FYI, Jody just fixed that :
https://github.com/jbruchon/elks/commit/aa872c8cce89e3c97923e28457396e60e321d990

MFLD

> If you run .build.sh without dev86 installed in your elks directory,
> the error message printed to the console references the lkundrak
> dev86.  This needs to be updated to reference the correct dev86 to
> avoid confusion and be consistent with the readme.
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU
> <mfld.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As told by the README, you should not use the /dev86 master branch from
>> lkundrak, but the latest from Jody:
>>
>> To build ELKS, you
>> will need to obtain a copy of Dev86, currently available at:
>>
>> https://github.com/jbruchon/dev86 <https://github.com/jbruchon/dev86>
>>

>> When you build dev86, you need to move, copy, or symlink to it in the
>> ELKS source code root. For a Dev86 source at /usr/src/dev86 do this:
>>
>> user:/usr/src/elks$ ln -s /usr/src/dev86 dev86
>>
>> MFLD

* Re: ls not working
@ 2016-05-25 14:38     ` Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU
       [not found]       ` <1603480025.4412.85bac19a-2c59-4bca-930c-210d80a97978.open-xchange@email.1and1.com>
From: Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Johansen; +Cc: ELKS

Yes, please, try again to run ELKS under VB, but before testing,
please update both DEV86 and ELKS from Jody's repositories and rebuild
all.

MFLD

> I  was not able to get elks to run in VB (although my last attempt was
> several months ago).  I will attempt to do so again...
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU
> <mfld.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> So you ran QEMU to virtualize ELKS in an already virtualized Linux (Ubuntu)
>> that run in a VirtualBox on a real Windows...
>>
>> Nice stack :-) !
>>
>> What about testing ELKS directly in Virtual Box, to avoid that mess ?
>>
>> MFLD
>>

>> Le 25/05/2016 06:52, Derek Johansen a écrit :
>>
>>  I am running Ubuntu 14.something as a virtualbox guest on a windows 8.1
>> host.
>>
>> I start elks with qemu-system-i386 -fda full3 from elkscmd directory.
>>
>> I log in as root.
>>
>> When I get the prompt, if I do a
>>
>> cd /bin
>> ls
>>
>> or
>>
>> cd /usr
>> ls
>>
>> the emulator hangs and I have to CTRL-C out of it and restart qemu.
>> --

* Fwd: Re: ls not working [confirmed]
       [not found]       ` <1603480025.4412.85bac19a-2c59-4bca-930c-210d80a97978.open-xchange@email.1and1.com>
@ 2016-05-25 15:41         ` - -
From: - - @ 2016-05-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-8086

On May 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU <mfld.fr@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Yes, please, try again to run ELKS under VB, but before testing,
> please update both DEV86 and ELKS from Jody's repositories and rebuild
> all.

With latest git, I can confirm the crash (using QEMU 2.1.0). I hit CTRL+C while
ls was hung and the system crashed.

ELKS 0.2.0

login: root

# cd /

# ls

panic: wrong waitpt
apparent call stack:
Line: Addr Parameters
~~~~: ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
 0: 09AF => 8B78 0004 0000 0000 0000 0000 FFFF
 1: 44B4 => 0005 2CB8 2CB0 2CA8 2CBC 2CB4 2CAC
 2: 46A9 => 0005 9369 0000 0000 0000 316A 862C
 3: 87F3 => 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
 4: 0000 => EFAC 0000 0000 0001 0000 6166 6C69
 5: 19EC => 7F1C 0415 0100 1100 1A13 1200 170F
 6: 0300 => EFAC 0000 0000 0001 0000 6166 6C69
 7: 19EC => 7F1C 0415 0100 1100 1A13 1200 170F
 8: 0300 => EFAC 0000 0000 0001 0000 6166 6C69

* Re: ls not working
       [not found]       ` <1603480025.4412.85bac19a-2c59-4bca-930c-210d80a97978.open-xchange@email.1and1.com>
@ 2016-05-25 16:08       ` - -
From: - - @ 2016-05-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-8086

> On May 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU <mfld.fr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Yes, please, try again to run ELKS under VB, but before testing,
> please update both DEV86 and ELKS from Jody's repositories and rebuild
> all.

Unfortunately, I have tried numerous combinations of git checkouts of dev86 and
elks including reverting both to the last pair I knew was working in QEMU, but
even those are not working for me at this point. I don't currently have time to
look into it in more depth. Can someone try it in an old version of QEMU to see
if that works?

-Jody

* Re: ls not working
@ 2016-05-25 19:16         ` Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU
       [not found]           ` <B5F3BEBA-6AA5-41D4-8D82-4927B089E3C3@jodybruchon.com>
From: Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: - -, linux-8086

Same failure on my side with latest /dev86 and /elks, with QEMU 2.5.1.

Do you remember the last known good version of the three (dev86, elks,
qemu) ?

MFLD

Le 25/05/2016 18:08, - - a écrit :
>> On May 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU <mfld.fr@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, please, try again to run ELKS under VB, but before testing,
>> please update both DEV86 and ELKS from Jody's repositories and rebuild
>> all.
> Unfortunately, I have tried numerous combinations of git checkouts of dev86 and
> elks including reverting both to the last pair I knew was working in QEMU, but
> even those are not working for me at this point. I don't currently have time to
> look into it in more depth. Can someone try it in an old version of QEMU to see
> if that works?
>
> -Jody

* Re: ls not working
       [not found]             ` <CACpuWUmcNDbdE+Pu1_812W0hJgHzFnKeJ25ztSdqJW4XKx1qAA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-05-25 20:42               ` Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU
From: Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2016-05-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jody Lee Bruchon; +Cc: ELKS

Git bisect tells me that the problem occurs starting from commit
4286d710caee2e25a0446932104d99b6cec2fe39
file_utils: add usage to some programs, clean up futils.h, ls fix

MFLD