* net 2.6.25
@ 2007-11-14  9:35 Denis V. Lunev
       [not found] ` <473AC169.1030202-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis V. Lunev @ 2007-11-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman, Daniel Lezcano, Benjamin Thery; +Cc: Linux Containers

Hello, guys!

David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.

Regards,
	Den

* Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found] ` <473AC169.1030202-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14  9:52   ` Eric W. Biederman
       [not found]     ` <m1ve8517dd.fsf-T1Yj925okcoyDheHMi7gv2pdwda3JcWeAL8bYrjMMd8@public.gmane.org>
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2007-11-14  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis V. Lunev; +Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery

"Denis V. Lunev" <den-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello, guys!
>
> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.

I think I can pretty much agree on that set of patches.  However I do strongly
object to the form they are in at: http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6-netns

All of my subject lines (which are the primary summary of the patch) have
been lost.  So it is much more difficult to see what the patch is doing.

I will get some sleep and see what I can sort out.

Eric

* Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]     ` <m1ve8517dd.fsf-T1Yj925okcoyDheHMi7gv2pdwda3JcWeAL8bYrjMMd8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 10:07       ` Denis V. Lunev
       [not found]         ` <473AC8C8.6070307-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis V. Lunev @ 2007-11-14 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman; +Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery

Will you be happy, if I'll re-merge all of them from scratch preserving
original subjects from the letters?

Regards,
	Den

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Denis V. Lunev" <den-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Hello, guys!
>>
>> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
>> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
>> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
>> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.
>
> I think I can pretty much agree on that set of patches.  However I do strongly
> object to the form they are in at: http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6-netns
>
> All of my subject lines (which are the primary summary of the patch) have
> been lost.  So it is much more difficult to see what the patch is doing.
>
> I will get some sleep and see what I can sort out.
>
> Eric

* Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found] ` <473AC169.1030202-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 10:31   ` Daniel Lezcano
       [not found]     ` <473ACE7F.5080007-NmTC/0ZBporQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2007-11-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis V. Lunev; +Cc: Linux Containers, Eric W. Biederman, Benjamin Thery

Denis V. Lunev wrote:
> Hello, guys!
>
> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.

Did Pavel had time to look at RCU looking mechanism to replace
rtnl_lock/rtnl_unlock to protect the netns list ?

* Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]     ` <473ACE7F.5080007-NmTC/0ZBporQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 10:54       ` Denis V. Lunev
       [not found]         ` <473AD3F0.1000604-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis V. Lunev @ 2007-11-14 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano; +Cc: Linux Containers, Eric W. Biederman, Benjamin Thery

Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> Denis V. Lunev wrote:
>> Hello, guys!
>>
>> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
>> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
>> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
>> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.
>
> Did Pavel had time to look at RCU looking mechanism to replace
> rtnl_lock/rtnl_unlock to protect the netns list ?
not yet

hmm :) Pavel say yes :) trying...

* Re: [Devel] Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]     ` <473ACE7F.5080007-NmTC/0ZBporQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 10:59       ` Pavel Emelyanov
       [not found]         ` <473AD4F5.40505-GEFAQzZX7r8dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2007-11-14 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano, Denis V. Lunev; +Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery

Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> Denis V. Lunev wrote:
>> Hello, guys!
>>
>> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
>> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
>> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
>> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.
>
> Did Pavel had time to look at RCU looking mechanism to replace
> rtnl_lock/rtnl_unlock to protect the netns list ?

Unfortunately, I had not. Andrew has released the rc2-mm1 tree, so
I'm now trying to prepare all the patches I wanted for this mm.

I will revisit this problem, but Denis said, that the problem we're
trying to solve with the RCU protection can be solved w/o it, no?

devel-GEFAQzZX7r8dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org is.

* Re: [Devel] Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]         ` <473AD4F5.40505-GEFAQzZX7r8dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 11:05           ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2007-11-14 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov; +Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery, Denis V. Lunev

Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> Denis V. Lunev wrote:
>>> Hello, guys!
>>>
>>> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
>>> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
>>> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
>>> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.
>> Did Pavel had time to look at RCU looking mechanism to replace
>> rtnl_lock/rtnl_unlock to protect the netns list ?
>
> Unfortunately, I had not. Andrew has released the rc2-mm1 tree, so
> I'm now trying to prepare all the patches I wanted for this mm.
>
> I will revisit this problem, but Denis said, that the problem we're
> trying to solve with the RCU protection can be solved w/o it, no?

Yes, if we create a timer per network namespace for ipv6 garbage
collecting, we can avoid to use a rcu, in this case.

I am doing that right now, but I am afraid we can fall into another case
where we need to browse the network list and I thought having the RCU
will bring more flexibility.

But, we can live without rcu and go ahead with ipv6 anyway :)

* Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]         ` <473AD3F0.1000604-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 16:03           ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2007-11-14 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis V. Lunev; +Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery

"Denis V. Lunev" <den-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> Denis V. Lunev wrote:
>>> Hello, guys!
>>>
>>> David has been opened net-2.6.25 tree yesterday, so we could send a new
>>> portion of NETNS there. If there are no objections, I'll send first six
>>> patches from OpenVZ GIT tomorrow, i.e. RTNL infrastructure, Packet &
>>> Unix sockets virtualization + some our /proc cleanups.
>>
>> Did Pavel had time to look at RCU looking mechanism to replace
>> rtnl_lock/rtnl_unlock to protect the netns list ?
> not yet

> hmm :) Pavel say yes :) trying...

Well honestly I think I would rather have a spin lock then an rcu thing.

It may not be a big deal because we already have to check the count and
if it is zero ignore the namespace, so rcu may not add complications but
changing something that already has interesting usage and lifetime rules
to rcu sends up warning signs for me.

Eric

* Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]         ` <473AC8C8.6070307-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-14 18:19           ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2007-11-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis V. Lunev; +Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery

"Denis V. Lunev" <den-3ImXcnM4P+0@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Will you be happy, if I'll re-merge all of them from scratch preserving
> original subjects from the letters?

Yes that is my big issue.

Eric

* Re: [Devel] Re: net 2.6.25
       [not found]         ` <473AD4F5.40505-GEFAQzZX7r8dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-15 17:15           ` Kir Kolyshkin
From: Kir Kolyshkin @ 2007-11-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov, Daniel Lezcano, Denis V. Lunev
  Cc: Linux Containers, Benjamin Thery

Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>
>> Denis V. Lunev wrote:

> devel-GEFAQzZX7r8dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org is.

That shouldn't stop you from posting to both -- mailman is smart enough
to cope with two copies of the same message, so there will be no dupes.