* RE: nfs/rdma
@ 2004-12-17 14:47 Lever, Charles
From: Lever, Charles @ 2004-12-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kaushik; +Cc: nfs

> I want to know that=20
> there is NFS/RDMA Linux client , so will it work with the NFS=20
> Server say which is also on other Linux machine.

currently there are no productized RDMA-enabled NFS servers anywhere.
there are two server prototypes i am aware of, neither of which are open
source.

to take advantage of RDMA, both client *and* server must support direct
data placement.  that is a significant modification of the RPC client
and server.  we are working towards that goal now, but we won't have
anything for quite some time on Linux.

> Can u explain or suggest any document which explains NFS/RDMA
> Client -Server architecture? I have to see whether i can port
> the NFS/RDMA Linux Client on to MAC Osx.

there are three internet drafts available describing NFS/RDMA and
proposing NFSv4 sessions to help manage RDMA transports.  use google and
search for "Talpey NFS RDMA" (Talpey is one of the authors of these
drafts).

the open source Linux NFS/RDMA project is described here:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/rdma/

* RE: nfs/rdma
@ 2004-12-16 15:52 Lever, Charles
From: Lever, Charles @ 2004-12-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kaushik; +Cc: nfs

> I want to use the NFS/RDMA protocol for faster file access=20
> and to reduce the CPU time.How NFS is well supported for RDMA=20
> protocol? My NFS Server will be on MAC Os 10.3.Does my=20
> NFS/RDMA Linux client will work? I have both  the NICs those=20
> are RDMA compliant. I am new to this. Please guide me.

although currently under development, the Linux NFS client does not yet
support RDMA directly, nor does it currently support network protocol
offload.  i am also not aware of any plans for MacOS to support an
RDMA-capable NFS server.

in fact the MacOS server is only marginally supported with the Linux NFS
client because of bugs in that server.  in addition, i don't expect that
server to be fast enough to allow the client to take advantage of the
kind of performance that RDMA provides.

if you have measurements that show that the Linux NFS client is
consuming inappropriate amounts of CPU, please post those to the list,
and we will try to help.  there is one known problem with CPU
consumption with random write-intensive workloads on large files; there
is no workaround for this problem at present.

* nfs/rdma
@ 1999-12-31 20:13 kaushik
From: kaushik @ 1999-12-31 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

Hi All,

I want to use the NFS/RDMA protocol for faster file access and to reduce
the CPU time.How NFS is well supported for RDMA protocol?
My NFS Server will be on MAC Os 10.3.Does my NFS/RDMA Linux client will
work? I have both  the NICs those are RDMA compliant. I am new to this.
Please guide me.

Thank You
Kaushik

* RE: nfs/rdma
@ 1999-12-31 18:48 ` kaushik
From: kaushik @ 1999-12-31 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lever, Charles; +Cc: nfs

Hi All,
	Thanks for your immediate support. I want to know that there is
NFS/RDMA Linux client , so will it work with the NFS Server say which is
also on other Linux machine.As they talks about the performance of
350MB/s with RDMA compliant NICs in both the machines.
How NFS server side works with RDMA as there is no NFS/RDMA Server
available.
Can u explain or suggest any document which explains NFS/RDMA Client
-Server architecture?
I have to see whether i can port the NFS/RDMA Linux Client on to MAC
Osx.
Please give me some guidelines on this.

Thank You
Kaushik