* Switch SensorCollection to show all sensors as new power/thermal schemas implemented
@ 2021-01-11 18:19 Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2021-01-11 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: Ed Tanous, Lei Yu, Li, Yong B

Similar discussion has been on the mailing list before:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-October/023568.html

The new PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem Redfish schemas can coexist with
the old Power/Thermal schemas. I suspect we will have both the new and
old for some time. As we implement the new
PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem is it okay to switch the behavior of the
sensor collection from "show sensors that are not covered elsewhere in
the model" to "show all sensors" as the new
PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem schemas call for?

I reposted in
https://redfishforum.com/thread/190/sensorcollection-contain-all-sensors-chassis,
unless I am missing something I believe Redfish's guidance will be "move
to a SensorCollection that shows all the sensors". If indeed that is
their guidance, is everyone okay as we implement the new
PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem in bmcweb, we move sensor collection to
show all sensors? Things like webui-vue will have to be updated (not
sure anything breaks for webui-vue just would have duplicate sensors).

Thanks,
Gunnar

* Re: Switch SensorCollection to show all sensors as new power/thermal schemas implemented
@ 2021-01-19 18:20 ` Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2021-01-19 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: Ed Tanous, Lei Yu, Li, Yong B

On 1/11/2021 11:19 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:
> Similar discussion has been on the mailing list before:
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-October/023568.html
>
> The new PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem Redfish schemas can coexist with
> the old Power/Thermal schemas. I suspect we will have both the new and
> old for some time. As we implement the new
> PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem is it okay to switch the behavior of the
> sensor collection from "show sensors that are not covered elsewhere in
> the model" to "show all sensors" as the new
> PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem schemas call for?
>
> I reposted in
> https://redfishforum.com/thread/190/sensorcollection-contain-all-sensors-chassis,
> unless I am missing something I believe Redfish's guidance will be "move
> to a SensorCollection that shows all the sensors". If indeed that is
> their guidance, is everyone okay as we implement the new
> PowerSubsystem/ThermalSubsystem in bmcweb, we move sensor collection to
> show all sensors? Things like webui-vue will have to be updated (not
> sure anything breaks for webui-vue just would have duplicate sensors).

Redfish's reply was "My statement from 18 months ago is no longer our
recommendation. That was before we proposed to re-factor the Power and
Thermal schemas to use the Sensor model. And that continues to be our
direction. So in that light, we want everything that counts as a
"sensor" to be part of the Sensor collection so that generic monitoring
software can be built to harvest sensor data across the Redfish model.

Even if an implementation hasn't decided to adopt the (still a
work-in-progress) PowerSubystem and ThermalSubsystem models, the
underlying temperature and fan sensors can be rendered as Redfish Sensor
resources as a good middle ground (and a step in the right direction for
future work).".

Based on that reply, I propose we move Redfish SensorCollection to show
all sensors. Let me know if anyone objects.

@ 2021-01-20  4:53   ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2021-01-20  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Mills; +Cc: openbmc, Ed Tanous, Lei Yu, Li, Yong B

Hi Gunnar,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:51 PM Gunnar Mills <gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/2021 11:19 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:
> Based on that reply, I propose we move Redfish SensorCollection to show
> all sensors. Let me know if anyone objects.

Where would the sensor collection be rooted at?
/redfish/v1/chassis/{ID}/sensors? If so, would this also contain
sensors accessible to the system software (some CPU/DIMM sensors for
eg)?

Thanks,
Deepak

* Re: Switch SensorCollection to show all sensors as new power/thermal schemas implemented
@ 2021-02-16  2:16     ` Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2021-02-16  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli; +Cc: openbmc, Ed Tanous, Lei Yu, Li, Yong B

On 1/19/2021 9:53 PM, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:

> Where would the sensor collection be rooted at?
> /redfish/v1/chassis/{ID}/sensors?

Late reply. Yes. Sensors are associated to a chassis via an association.
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/919a7b6816a5f16aa72d298e81e0756d95d5031e/architecture/sensor-architecture.md#association-type-1-linking-a-chassis-to-all-sensors-within-the-chassis

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/40169 is the code
for moving bmcweb to all sensors in the sensor collection.

If so, would this also contain
> sensors accessible to the system software (some CPU/DIMM sensors for
> eg)?

Yes, it could. There is nothing in the Redfish spec that prevents that.
The definition of what a sensor is in Redfish is very broad.
If you need additional "ReadingTypes", I'm sure Redfish would be willing
to add with a use case.

https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/v1/Sensor.v1_2_0.json

Hope this helps,
Gunnar