* EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-08 16:29 Georg Schardt
From: Georg Schardt @ 2008-09-08 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi all,

im trying to use the emaclite core which comes with the EDK10.1 with the
2.6.26 kernel from git.xilinx.com on virtex4fx12 minimodul. the emac is
detect by the kernel:

xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: MAC address is now  2: 0: 0: 0: 0: 0
xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: using fifo mode.
xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: Xilinx EMACLite at 0x81000000 mapped
to 0xC5060000, irq=0

i can change the mac-address with ifconfig and i can give an ip-address
to the device,
but a ping is not possible and arp is not working. i think that the phy
is not working right.

has someone others the same problem ? what can i changed ? i have tried
out all possible phy driver in the linux  kernel

a setup with the lltemac is working fine, but i want to use the emaclite

thanks
regards
georg

* RE: EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-08 22:25 ` John Linn
From: John Linn @ 2008-09-08 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt, linuxppc-embedded

Hi Georg,

I don't really know much about the state of the emac lite driver in the
Git tree. I inherited the Git tree with some stuff already in it.

I test the LL TEMAC driver, but haven't had the bandwidth and priority
to do any emac lite testing.

Thanks,
John

This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named r=
ecipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary=
, privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intend=
ed recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any attac=
hments. Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.

* Re: EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-09 18:58       ` jozsef imrek
From: jozsef imrek @ 2008-09-09 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded; +Cc: Georg Schardt

dear georg,

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Georg Schardt wrote:

> Yes, i will try this. i use this board with the edk 8.2 a year ago. with this
> edk version the emaclite was working fine. but in this project there was an
> ip core "Hard Temac" this is missing now. i think i have an error in my edk
> project.

for the EMAC lite you don't need the hard temac. the work done by
the "hard temac" core and the plb_temac (or ll_temac) core together
in your old project will be done by the EMAC lite core alone.

so the signals to/from the broadcom PHY on your minimodule should be
connected directly to the EMAC lite core:

 	BEGIN opb_ethernetlite
 	 PARAMETER INSTANCE = etherlite
 	 PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.01.b
 	 PARAMETER C_RX_PING_PONG = 1
 	 PARAMETER C_TX_PING_PONG = 1
 	 BUS_INTERFACE sopb = opb
 	 PORT IP2INTC_Irpt = emac_interrupt
 	 PORT phy_rx_data = phy_rxd
 	 PORT phy_tx_data = phy_txd
 	 PORT phy_dv = phy_rxdv
 	END

(but this is probably getting off topic for this list.)

--
mazsi

strawberry fields forever!                       mazsi@imrek.org

* RE: EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-09 18:40     ` jozsef imrek
From: jozsef imrek @ 2008-09-09 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded; +Cc: Georg Schardt

dear george,

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, John Linn wrote:

> There is no way to configure the PHY using the EMAC lite as that's part
> of what makes it "lite".
>
> So the PHY on the board has to be configured correctly by strapping it
> on the board.

as john pointed out you can not access the PHY using only the EMAC
lite core. connect the MDIO and MDC lines of the PHY to a GPIO core.

then and use the bit banging driver of u-boot (start with #define CONFIG_MII
and #define CONFIG_BITBANGMII) or linux (search for CONFIG_MDIO_BITBANG,
i've not used it before).

fyi, on our minimodule boards the PHY is located at address #4, u-boot's
"mii info" command says:

 	PHY 0x04: OUI = 0x0818, Model = 0x0C, Rev = 0x01, 100baseT, FDX

for the inital setup you might want to connect the RJ45 of your
minimodule directly to your host pc, probably that's the easiest way
for you to see exactly what packets are travelling on the wire.

make sure that the negotiated speed is not 1000baseT, as the EMAC
lite can not handle that.

--

@ 2008-09-09 15:23   ` John Linn
From: John Linn @ 2008-09-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt, Neeraj Garg; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hi Georg,

There is no way to configure the PHY using the EMAC lite as that's part
of what makes it "lite".  =

So the PHY on the board has to be configured correctly by strapping it
on the board.

Maybe you can include other PHY drivers to do this as I'm not sure about
that.

Thanks,
John

"Ethernet_MAC"

------------------

@ 2008-09-09  8:59       ` Georg Schardt
From: Georg Schardt @ 2008-09-09  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt; +Cc: Neeraj Garg, linuxppc-embedded

sorry for the self-reply, but pinging from the minimodul increases the
interrupts :-)
can you tell me the changes in the driver file ?

thanks
georg

* Re: EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-09  8:36     ` Georg Schardt
From: Georg Schardt @ 2008-09-09  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neeraj Garg; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

> [...]

>>> To: linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> im trying to use the emaclite core which comes with the EDK10.1 with
>>> the 2.6.26 kernel from git.xilinx.com on virtex4fx12 minimodul. the
>>> emac is detect by the kernel:
>>>
>>> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: MAC address is now  2: 0: 0: 0: 0: 0
>>> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: using fifo mode.
>>> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: Xilinx EMACLite at 0x81000000
>>> mapped to 0xC5060000, irq=0
>>>
>>> i can change the mac-address with ifconfig and i can give an
>>> ip-address to the device,
>>> but a ping is not possible and arp is not working. i think that the
>>> phy is not working right.
>>>
>>> has someone others the same problem ? what can i changed ? i have
>>> tried out all possible phy driver in the linux  kernel
>>>
>>> a setup with the lltemac is working fine, but i want to use the

>>> regards
>>> georg

* Re: EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-09  8:25   ` Neeraj Garg
From: Neeraj Garg @ 2008-09-09  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

I am using Emac but the configuration is more or less same for the two.

Look at the messages that I am getting at startup

[    3.225313] xilinx_emac xilinx_emac.0: MAC address is now  0:a0:22:
1: 1:f2
[    3.264036] XEmac: using fifo mode.
[    3.288583] XEmac: *Detected PHY at address 0, ManufID 0x0040, Rev.
0x61e4*.
[    3.328138] eth0: Dropping NETIF_F_SG since no checksum feature.
[    3.368685] eth0: Xilinx 10/100 EMAC at 0x11000000 mapped to
0xC3020000, irq=5
[    3.404090] eth0: XEmac id 1.4a, block id 128, type 1

Points that you cant check

Georg Schardt wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> mmh, there is no kernel message with PHY detection, but all PHY
> drivers are compiled in.
> i looked at my xps project and there is only one ip-core
> "Ethernet_MAC" with type "xps_ethernetlite".
> is it possible that the phy connection is missing ? i use the base
> system builder with the board support files supported from avnet.
>
> where can i look for the ethernet speed ? the ethernetlite ip has no
> speed options
>
> thanks for your help
> georg
>
> Neeraj Garg wrote:
>> Hi Georg,
>>
>> Can you post linux bootup message where its says PHY is detected at
>> paticular address, and check with your hardware what is actual
>> address of PHY. Also I would like to know the configuration of your
>> hardware whether its configured of 10MBPS OR 100MBPS.
>>

>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> --
>> Neeraj Garg
>>

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:29:53 +0200
>> From: Georg Schardt <schardt@team-ctech.de>
>> Subject: EDK10.1 and emaclite
>> To: linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> im trying to use the emaclite core which comes with the EDK10.1 with
>> the 2.6.26 kernel from git.xilinx.com on virtex4fx12 minimodul. the
>> emac is detect by the kernel:
>>
>> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: MAC address is now  2: 0: 0: 0: 0: 0
>> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: using fifo mode.
>> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: Xilinx EMACLite at 0x81000000
>> mapped to 0xC5060000, irq=0
>>
>> i can change the mac-address with ifconfig and i can give an
>> ip-address to the device,
>> but a ping is not possible and arp is not working. i think that the
>> phy is not working right.
>>
>> has someone others the same problem ? what can i changed ? i have
>> tried out all possible phy driver in the linux  kernel
>>
>> a setup with the lltemac is working fine, but i want to use the emaclite
>>
>> thanks
>> regards
>> georg

* Re: EDK10.1 and emaclite
@ 2008-09-09  7:30 ` Georg Schardt
From: Georg Schardt @ 2008-09-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neeraj Garg; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Neeraj Garg wrote:
> Hi Georg,
>
> Can you post linux bootup message where its says PHY is detected at
> paticular address, and check with your hardware what is actual address
> of PHY. Also I would like to know the configuration of your hardware
> whether its configured of 10MBPS OR 100MBPS.

> Neeraj Garg
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:29:53 +0200
> From: Georg Schardt <schardt@team-ctech.de>
> Subject: EDK10.1 and emaclite
> To: linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org
>
> Hi all,
>
> im trying to use the emaclite core which comes with the EDK10.1 with
> the 2.6.26 kernel from git.xilinx.com on virtex4fx12 minimodul. the
> emac is detect by the kernel:
>
> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: MAC address is now  2: 0: 0: 0: 0: 0
> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: using fifo mode.
> xilinx_emaclite xilinx_emaclite.0: Xilinx EMACLite at 0x81000000
> mapped to 0xC5060000, irq=0
>
> i can change the mac-address with ifconfig and i can give an
> ip-address to the device,
> but a ping is not possible and arp is not working. i think that the
> phy is not working right.
>
> has someone others the same problem ? what can i changed ? i have
> tried out all possible phy driver in the linux  kernel
>
> a setup with the lltemac is working fine, but i want to use the emaclite
>
> thanks
> regards
> georg

* RE: EDK10.1 and emaclite