* One reg interface for Timer register
       [not found] <9F6FE96B71CF29479FF1CDC8046E1503545D18@039-SN1MPN1-003.039d.mgd.msft.net>
@ 2013-02-04  6:12   ` Bhushan Bharat-R65777
From: Bhushan Bharat-R65777 @ 2013-02-04  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoder Stuart-B08248, Wood Scott-B07421, Alexander Graf; +Cc: kvm-ppc, kvm

Hi Alex/Scott,

Below is my understanding about the ONE_REG interface requirement for timer registers.

Define the below 2 ONE_REG interface for TSR access:
	KVM_REG_SET_TSR,  // Set the specified bits in TSR
	KVM_REG_CLEAR_TSR, // Clear the specified bits in TSR

QEMU will use the above ioctl call to selectively set/clear bits of TSR.
We do not need the similar interface for TCR as there is no race issue with TCR. So for TCR QEMU will keep on using the SREGS interface.

Thanks
-Bharat

From: Bhushan Bharat-R65777 @ 2013-02-04  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoder Stuart-B08248, Wood Scott-B07421, Alexander Graf; +Cc: kvm-ppc, kvm

Hi Alex/Scott,

Below is my understanding about the ONE_REG interface requirement for timer registers.

Define the below 2 ONE_REG interface for TSR access:
	KVM_REG_SET_TSR,  // Set the specified bits in TSR
	KVM_REG_CLEAR_TSR, // Clear the specified bits in TSR

QEMU will use the above ioctl call to selectively set/clear bits of TSR.
We do not need the similar interface for TCR as there is no race issue with TCR. So for TCR QEMU will keep on using the SREGS interface.

Thanks
-Bharat

* Re: One reg interface for Timer register
@ 2013-02-07 14:34     ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2013-02-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhushan Bharat-R65777
  Cc: Yoder Stuart-B08248, Wood Scott-B07421, kvm-ppc, kvm

On 04.02.2013, at 07:12, Bhushan Bharat-R65777 wrote:

> Hi Alex/Scott,
>
> Below is my understanding about the ONE_REG interface requirement for timer registers.
>
> Define the below 2 ONE_REG interface for TSR access:
> 	KVM_REG_SET_TSR,  // Set the specified bits in TSR

s/SET/OR/

> 	KVM_REG_CLEAR_TSR, // Clear the specified bits in TSR
>
> QEMU will use the above ioctl call to selectively set/clear bits of TSR.

Exactly :).

> We do not need the similar interface for TCR as there is no race issue with TCR. So for TCR QEMU will keep on using the SREGS interface.

Good point, yes :).

Alex

From: Alexander Graf @ 2013-02-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhushan Bharat-R65777