* I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-06 20:14 Matt Spinler
From: Matt Spinler @ 2016-10-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi,

As part of my work to generate a device tree from the machine readable
workbook XML, I need to create I2C device entries, which have the
compatible properties that need to be filled in.

The following parts are present in the system I'm trying to build, with
firmware requirements to access them.  I took a stab at the names.
Could someone doublecheck them and maybe comment on if a driver is
missing, or maybe if some upcoming work is known that will include it?
I didn't have much luck finding a lot of these in the
Documentation/devicetree/bindings directories.

PMBus Power supplies:   ?

MAX31785 fan controller:  max,max31785

BMP280:  bosch,bmp280

TMP4523A temp sensor:  ti,tmp423

TMP275 temp sensor: ti,tmp275

pca9552 IO expander:  nxp,pca9552

UCD90160 power sequencer: ti,ucd90160

RX8900CE RTC:  epson,rx8900ce

24c64 EEPROM:  atmel,24c64

There are also a handful of regulators, but so far I haven't heard of
any requirements to access them.

Thanks.

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-06 23:42 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2016-10-06 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Spinler; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Matt Spinler
<mspinler@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of my work to generate a device tree from the machine readable
> workbook XML, I need to create I2C device entries, which have the compatible
> properties that need to be filled in.
>
> The following parts are present in the system I'm trying to build, with
> firmware requirements to access them.  I took a stab at the names.  Could
> someone doublecheck them and maybe comment on if a driver is missing, or
> maybe if some upcoming work is known that will include it?  I didn't have
> much luck finding a lot of these in the Documentation/devicetree/bindings
> directories.

If they're not in the kernel tree it could mean there is not a driver
for them, or that they are supported as part of the trivial device
bindings.

> PMBus Power supplies:   ?
>
> MAX31785 fan controller:  max,max31785

Doesn't appear to be an upstream driver. Please open a ticket.

> BMP280:  bosch,bmp280

Supported by the iio bmp280 driver.

> TMP4523A temp sensor:  ti,tmp423

Supported by the tmp421 hwmon driver.

> TMP275 temp sensor: ti,tmp275

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/i2c/trivial-devices.txt

Supported by the lm75 hwmon driver.

> pca9552 IO expander:  nxp,pca9552

This appears to be a LED driver?

There's a LED device driver called leds-pca955x.

> UCD90160 power sequencer: ti,ucd90160

A kernel driver called ucd9000 appears to support similar chips.
Please open a ticket.

> RX8900CE RTC:  epson,rx8900ce

No upstream driver. Please open a ticket.

> 24c64 EEPROM:  atmel,24c64

LGTM.

Cheers,

Joel

> There are also a handful of regulators, but so far I haven't heard of any
> requirements to access them.
>
> Thanks.

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-07  0:24 ` Milton Miller II
From: Milton Miller II @ 2016-10-07  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-07  1:51   ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2016-10-07  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:42:24AM +1100, Joel Stanley wrote:
> > PMBus Power supplies:   ?
> >
> > MAX31785 fan controller:  max,max31785
>
> Doesn't appear to be an upstream driver. Please open a ticket.

Timothy @ Raptor wrote a driver for this recently, didn't he?  Joel, I
thought you were going to merge it in for the time being.  Timothy
mentioned that there was some upstream work going on in that subsystem
that was preventing it from be merged in the current state but that the
subsystem owner was likely going to take it on.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/672045/

--
Patrick Williams

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-07 20:08   ` Matt Spinler
From: Matt Spinler @ 2016-10-07 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milton Miller II, Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Thanks.  I opened the following issues:

Power supply:  https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/651

MAX31785: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/652

UCD90160: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/653

RX8900CE: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/654

On 10/6/2016 7:24 PM, Milton Miller II wrote:

> On 10/06/2016 about 06:43PM somewhere, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au
> <mailto:joel@jms.id.au>> wrote:
> >
> >On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Matt Spinler
> ><mspinler@linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mspinler@linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As part of my work to generate a device tree from the machine
> >readable
> >> workbook XML, I need to create I2C device entries, which have the
> >compatible
> >> properties that need to be filled in.
> >>
> >> The following parts are present in the system I'm trying to build,
> >with
> >> firmware requirements to access them. I took a stab at the names.
> >Could
> >> someone doublecheck them and maybe comment on if a driver is
> >missing, or
> >> maybe if some upcoming work is known that will include it? I
> >didn't have
> >> much luck finding a lot of these in the
> >Documentation/devicetree/bindings
> >> directories.
>
> Unique to the i2c subsystem, i2c devices will also match when
> the vendor is different but the chip name portion matches.
>

> >If they're not in the kernel tree it could mean there is not a driver
> >for them, or that they are supported as part of the trivial device
> >bindings.
> >

> >> PMBus Power supplies: ?
> >>
> >> MAX31785 fan controller: max,max31785
>
> Maxim for the vendor? see
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/vendor-prefixes.txt
>

> >Doesn't appear to be an upstream driver. Please open a ticket.
> >

> >> BMP280: bosch,bmp280
> >
> >Supported by the iio bmp280 driver.
> >

> >> TMP4523A temp sensor: ti,tmp423
> >
> >Supported by the tmp421 hwmon driver.
> >

> >> TMP275 temp sensor: ti,tmp275
> >
> >Documentation/devicetree/bindings/i2c/trivial-devices.txt
> >
> >Supported by the lm75 hwmon driver.
> >
> >> pca9552 IO expander: nxp,pca9552
> >
> >This appears to be a LED driver?
> >
> >There's a LED device driver called leds-pca955x.
>
> There is also a gpio driver for pca955[4567] in pca953x.c.
>

> >> UCD90160 power sequencer: ti,ucd90160
> >
> >A kernel driver called ucd9000 appears to support similar chips.
> >Please open a ticket.
> >

> >> RX8900CE RTC: epson,rx8900ce
> >
> >No upstream driver. Please open a ticket.
> >

> >> 24c64 EEPROM: atmel,24c64
> >
> >LGTM.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Joel
> >

> >> There are also a handful of regulators, but so far I haven't heard
> >of any
> >> requirements to access them.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-10  1:57     ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2016-10-10  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, Timothy Pearson; +Cc: Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:42:24AM +1100, Joel Stanley wrote:
>> > PMBus Power supplies:   ?
>> >
>> > MAX31785 fan controller:  max,max31785
>>
>> Doesn't appear to be an upstream driver. Please open a ticket.
>
> Timothy @ Raptor wrote a driver for this recently, didn't he?  Joel, I
> thought you were going to merge it in for the time being.  Timothy

Yeah. I did ask that he spit out the maintainers part of that patch
before we applied it.

Timothy, are you able to make that change?

> mentioned that there was some upstream work going on in that subsystem
> that was preventing it from be merged in the current state but that the
> subsystem owner was likely going to take it on.

Timothy, do you have any update on the rewrite?

Cheers,

Joel

> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/672045/
>
> --
> Patrick Williams

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-11 14:41       ` Timothy Pearson
From: Timothy Pearson @ 2016-10-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: Patrick Williams, Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist

On 10/09/2016 08:57 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:

>>> Doesn't appear to be an upstream driver. Please open a ticket.
>>
>> Timothy @ Raptor wrote a driver for this recently, didn't he?  Joel, I
>> thought you were going to merge it in for the time being.  Timothy
>
> Yeah. I did ask that he spit out the maintainers part of that patch
> before we applied it.
>
> Timothy, are you able to make that change?

No problem.  Updated version sent to the OpenBMC mailing list.

>> mentioned that there was some upstream work going on in that subsystem
>> that was preventing it from be merged in the current state but that the
>> subsystem owner was likely going to take it on.
>
> Timothy, do you have any update on the rewrite?

Not at this time.  I've requested a status update from the hwmon
maintainer that was working on it.

Thanks!

--
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering

* Re: I2C device driver names
@ 2016-10-11 23:11         ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2016-10-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Pearson; +Cc: Patrick Williams, Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM, Timothy Pearson
<tpearson@raptorengineering.com> wrote:
>> Yeah. I did ask that he spit out the maintainers part of that patch
>> before we applied it.
>>
>> Timothy, are you able to make that change?
>
> No problem.  Updated version sent to the OpenBMC mailing list.

Thanks. I'll take a close look and add it to our tree today.

>> Timothy, do you have any update on the rewrite?
>
> Not at this time.  I've requested a status update from the hwmon
> maintainer that was working on it.

Cool. If you could, please me on future correspondence. I'd like to
keep a track of how it goes, and we might be able to offer some help
if the hwmon guys don't have time.

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: I2C device driver names