* [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-08 18:51 Diego Woitasen
From: Diego Woitasen @ 2009-08-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,
 I know this is not the right place to ask this, but the user forum is
broken. Anyone has experiencie virtualizing SCO Unixware 2.1.x with
QEMU? In my work we have four servers that we can't drop or migrate to
a new platform and want to upgrade the hardware (they are 1995
machines). The Unix installer starts, detect hard disks but doesn't
recognise the CDROM. I've tried it as secondary master and primary
slave (in this case, installation hangs checking hardware).

If someone send me a tip it will be apreciated.

Regards,
  Diego

--
Diego Woitasen

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-08 18:53 ` Natalia Portillo
From: Natalia Portillo @ 2009-08-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Woitasen; +Cc: qemu-devel

Have you checked you the Official OS Support List?

It is at http://www.claunia.com/qemu/

@ 2009-08-08 22:53   ` Diego Woitasen
From: Diego Woitasen @ 2009-08-08 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

2009/8/8 Natalia Portillo <claunia@claunia.com>:
> Have you checked you the Official OS Support List?
>
> It is at http://www.claunia.com/qemu/
>
> El 08/08/2009, a las 19:51, Diego Woitasen escribió:
>
>> Hi,
>> I know this is not the right place to ask this, but the user forum is
>> broken. Anyone has experiencie virtualizing SCO Unixware 2.1.x with
>> QEMU? In my work we have four servers that we can't drop or migrate to
>> a new platform and want to upgrade the hardware (they are 1995
>> machines). The Unix installer starts, detect hard disks but doesn't
>> recognise the CDROM. I've tried it as secondary master and primary
>> slave (in this case, installation hangs checking hardware).
>>
>> If someone send me a tip it will be apreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Diego
>>
>> --
>> Diego Woitasen

Yes, Andrew got SCO Unix 2.1.3 running on QEMU (an old version). He
said that works taking a raw image from a real PC installation but
there are no details. I've just found an old HP workstation (Pentium
100, ide). I will try the same procedure.

If someone has more information, pleaes let me know...

Regards,
 Diego

--

@ 2009-08-09 13:43     ` Teemu Nätkinniemi
From: Teemu Nätkinniemi @ 2009-08-09 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

> If someone has more information, pleaes let me know...

Unixware 2.1.3 should install with Vmware Server. After that you can convert the image to Qemu and try booting your freshly installed system.

Teemu

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-09 20:12       ` Diego Woitasen
From: Diego Woitasen @ 2009-08-09 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Nätkinniemi, qemu-devel

2009/8/9 Teemu Nätkinniemi <stinkf42@yahoo.com>:
>> If someone has more information, pleaes let me know...
>
> Unixware 2.1.3 should install with Vmware Server. After that you can convert the image to Qemu and try booting your freshly installed system.
>
> Teemu

I tried with VMware 2.x and VMware workstation 6.x and didn't work.
They didn't boot the boot floppy because the lack of boot signature I
think.

The installation works with QEMU but it doesn't detect the CDROM. Is
there something new in the virtual cdrom that makes Unixware fails on
its detection? Is there something in the code that I could change? I
trie'd my floppies and the CD on an old HP machine and works but the
CDROM must have to be connected as primary slave. Using "-drive
index=1...." doesn't work with QEMU.

Regards,
 Diego
--

@ 2009-08-10  7:38         ` Teemu Nätkinniemi
From: Teemu Nätkinniemi @ 2009-08-10  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, Diego Woitasen

> >> If someone has more information, pleaes let me
> know...
> >
> > Unixware 2.1.3 should install with Vmware Server.
> After that you can convert the image to Qemu and try booting
> your freshly installed system.
> >
> > Teemu
> >

> I tried with VMware 2.x and VMware workstation 6.x and
> didn't work.
> They didn't boot the boot floppy because the lack of boot
> signature I
> think.
>
> The installation works with QEMU but it doesn't detect the
> CDROM. Is
> there something new in the virtual cdrom that makes
> Unixware fails on
> its detection? Is there something in the code that I could
> change? I
> trie'd my floppies and the CD on an old HP machine and
> works but the
> CDROM must have to be connected as primary slave. Using
> "-drive
> index=1...." doesn't work with QEMU.

Looks like I've misplaced my installation disks so I am afraid I cannot help. I know that I've used Vmware Server back in 2006 to install Unixware 2.1.3 succesfully.

Teemu

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-10 17:14         ` Andreas Färber
From: Andreas Färber @ 2009-08-10 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Woitasen; +Cc: QEMU Developers, Teemu Nätkinniemi

Am 09.08.2009 um 22:12 schrieb Diego Woitasen:

> The installation works with QEMU but it doesn't detect the CDROM. Is
> there something new in the virtual cdrom that makes Unixware fails on
> its detection? Is there something in the code that I could change? I
> trie'd my floppies and the CD on an old HP machine and works but the
> CDROM must have to be connected as primary slave. Using "-drive
> index=1...." doesn't work with QEMU.

Justin Chevrier sent some patches for an SCO OpenServer guest, last
fall/winter. Part of it were some SCSI fixes iirc, so you could try
emulating a SCSI rather than IDE CD-ROM drive.
You might also want to check whether all the SCO-related patches
actually got committed. Patches for non-mainstream guests or hosts
tend to get less attention.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-10 17:37           ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2009-08-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas F?rber; +Cc: Diego Woitasen, QEMU Developers, Teemu N?tkinniemi

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 07:14:11PM +0200, Andreas F?rber wrote:

> Am 09.08.2009 um 22:12 schrieb Diego Woitasen:
>
> >The installation works with QEMU but it doesn't detect the CDROM. Is
> >there something new in the virtual cdrom that makes Unixware fails on
> >its detection? Is there something in the code that I could change? I
> >trie'd my floppies and the CD on an old HP machine and works but the
> >CDROM must have to be connected as primary slave. Using "-drive
> >index=1...." doesn't work with QEMU.
>
> Justin Chevrier sent some patches for an SCO OpenServer guest, last
> fall/winter. Part of it were some SCSI fixes iirc, so you could try
> emulating a SCSI rather than IDE CD-ROM drive.
> You might also want to check whether all the SCO-related patches
> actually got committed. Patches for non-mainstream guests or hosts
> tend to get less attention.

Note that OpenServer is not related to Unixware 2.x at all.  OpenServer
was the last incarnation of the SVR3-based SCO Unix, while Unixware 2.x
was the straight SVR4.2MP they acquired later.

> Regards,
> Andreas

---end quoted text---

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-11 12:56             ` Diego Woitasen
From: Diego Woitasen @ 2009-08-11 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: Andreas F?rber, QEMU Developers, Teemu N?tkinniemi

2009/8/10 Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 07:14:11PM +0200, Andreas F?rber wrote:
>>
>> Am 09.08.2009 um 22:12 schrieb Diego Woitasen:
>>
>> >The installation works with QEMU but it doesn't detect the CDROM. Is
>> >there something new in the virtual cdrom that makes Unixware fails on
>> >its detection? Is there something in the code that I could change? I
>> >trie'd my floppies and the CD on an old HP machine and works but the
>> >CDROM must have to be connected as primary slave. Using "-drive
>> >index=1...." doesn't work with QEMU.
>>
>> Justin Chevrier sent some patches for an SCO OpenServer guest, last
>> fall/winter. Part of it were some SCSI fixes iirc, so you could try
>> emulating a SCSI rather than IDE CD-ROM drive.
>> You might also want to check whether all the SCO-related patches
>> actually got committed. Patches for non-mainstream guests or hosts
>> tend to get less attention.
>
> Note that OpenServer is not related to Unixware 2.x at all.  OpenServer
> was the last incarnation of the SVR3-based SCO Unix, while Unixware 2.x
> was the straight SVR4.2MP they acquired later.
>

>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>>

> ---end quoted text---

I've found a solution. I installed Unixware on an old HP PC (Pentium
100, IDE) and then took an image with "dd", and works without any
special trip. I'm using QEMU 0.9.1 (Debian Lenny package) because the
lateset version fails, Unixware reports a timeout error with the disk
controller.

--

@ 2009-08-12  2:11             ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2009-08-12  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Diego Woitasen, Andreas F?rber, QEMU Developers, Teemu N?tkinniemi

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 07:14:11PM +0200, Andreas F?rber wrote:
> >
> > Am 09.08.2009 um 22:12 schrieb Diego Woitasen:
> >
> > >The installation works with QEMU but it doesn't detect the CDROM. Is
> > >there something new in the virtual cdrom that makes Unixware fails on
> > >its detection? Is there something in the code that I could change? I
> > >trie'd my floppies and the CD on an old HP machine and works but the
> > >CDROM must have to be connected as primary slave. Using "-drive
> > >index=1...." doesn't work with QEMU.
> >
> > Justin Chevrier sent some patches for an SCO OpenServer guest, last
> > fall/winter. Part of it were some SCSI fixes iirc, so you could try
> > emulating a SCSI rather than IDE CD-ROM drive.
> > You might also want to check whether all the SCO-related patches
> > actually got committed. Patches for non-mainstream guests or hosts
> > tend to get less attention.
>
> Note that OpenServer is not related to Unixware 2.x at all.  OpenServer
> was the last incarnation of the SVR3-based SCO Unix, while Unixware 2.x
> was the straight SVR4.2MP they acquired later.

Fwiw, I just installed SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 using kvm-88 and it did
worse than fail: it *froze my whole PC*.  It happened early on while
booting from CD and checking hardware.  Power cycle needd.  Thanks guys :-)

Installing it on qemu-0.10.0-1ubuntu1 worked quite well.

-- Jamie

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-12 14:13               ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2009-08-12 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Lokier
  Cc: Diego Woitasen, Andreas F?rber, Christoph Hellwig,
	Teemu N?tkinniemi, QEMU Developers

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:11:27AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Fwiw, I just installed SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 using kvm-88 and it did
> worse than fail: it *froze my whole PC*.  It happened early on while
> booting from CD and checking hardware.  Power cycle needd.  Thanks guys :-)
>
> Installing it on qemu-0.10.0-1ubuntu1 worked quite well.

You aren't doing anything crazy like running both vmware and kvm at the
same time are you?

Impresive that you can lockup the PC.

--
Len Sorensen

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-08-12 14:30                 ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2009-08-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Sorensen
  Cc: Diego Woitasen, Andreas F?rber, Christoph Hellwig,

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:11:27AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > Fwiw, I just installed SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 using kvm-88 and it did
> > worse than fail: it *froze my whole PC*.  It happened early on while
> > booting from CD and checking hardware.  Power cycle needd.  Thanks guys :-)
> >
> > Installing it on qemu-0.10.0-1ubuntu1 worked quite well.
>
> You aren't doing anything crazy like running both vmware and kvm at the
> same time are you?
>
> Impresive that you can lockup the PC.

No, just kvm, nothing fancy.  Not even kqemu.
kvm is good enough that I don't use vmware these days ;-)

"Impressive" isn't the word that comes to mind.  "Exploitable" maybe :-)

There's a small chance it was the X server.  That tends to lock up
occasionally at random, so I'll have to try it again to confirm.
OpenServer was probing the IDE disk at the time, so it looks suspicious.

-- Jamie

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SCO Unixware 2.1.x on qemu
@ 2009-09-11 15:48                   ` Diego Woitasen
From: Diego Woitasen @ 2009-09-11 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

2009/8/12 Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:11:27AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>> > Fwiw, I just installed SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 using kvm-88 and it did
>> > worse than fail: it *froze my whole PC*.  It happened early on while
>> > booting from CD and checking hardware.  Power cycle needd.  Thanks guys :-)
>> >
>> > Installing it on qemu-0.10.0-1ubuntu1 worked quite well.
>>
>> You aren't doing anything crazy like running both vmware and kvm at the
>> same time are you?
>>
>> Impresive that you can lockup the PC.
>
> No, just kvm, nothing fancy.  Not even kqemu.
> kvm is good enough that I don't use vmware these days ;-)
>
> "Impressive" isn't the word that comes to mind.  "Exploitable" maybe :-)
>
> There's a small chance it was the X server.  That tends to lock up
> occasionally at random, so I'll have to try it again to confirm.
> OpenServer was probing the IDE disk at the time, so it looks suspicious.
>
> -- Jamie

Anyone has the Unixware 2.1.3 media kit? 2.1 works on QEMU 0.9.1 only
but QEMU hangs when there is high I/O activity. With versions 0.10.x
UW 2.1 doesn't boot and the kernel prints an error about IDE
controller timeout.

--
Diego Woitasen