* linux raid faq
@ 2008-12-17 18:22 Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-12-17 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

from the description of our mailing list at vger:

> List: linux-raid;     ( subscribe / unsubscribe )
> Info:
>
> Welcome to the linux-raid mailing list, hosted on  vger.kernel.org.
> Discussions on this list should be relevant to using RAID technologies
> with Linux.  Please read the FAQ for this mailing list before posting.
> The FAQ is available from   http://www.LinuxDoc.org/FAQ/

What is this site? The link does not provide a faq on linux raid.
Why is it linked, then?

And the link provides dubious ads on having won something.
Is this site for real?

Should we have it removed from our list description?

best regards
Keld

* Re: linux raid faq
@ 2008-12-18 10:16 ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-12-18 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> from the description of our mailing list at vger:
>
>> List: linux-raid;     ( subscribe / unsubscribe )
>> Info:
>>
>> Welcome to the linux-raid mailing list, hosted on  vger.kernel.org.
>> Discussions on this list should be relevant to using RAID technologies
>> with Linux.  Please read the FAQ for this mailing list before posting.
>> The FAQ is available from   http://www.LinuxDoc.org/FAQ/
>
> What is this site? The link does not provide a faq on linux raid.
> Why is it linked, then?

It used to be the LDP site - it got hijacked.

IMO The wiki is the most relevant link to put there now.

> And the link provides dubious ads on having won something.
> Is this site for real?
It is a real 'exploit old hyperlinks' commercial bottom feeding site, yes.

> Should we have it removed from our list description?
Yes!

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."

* Re: linux raid faq
@ 2008-05-11 17:03       ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-05-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janek Kozicki; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 06:02:57PM +0200, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen said:     (by the date of Sun, 11 May 2008 12:11:55 +0200)
>
> > On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:05:40PM +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> > > Keld Jørn Simonsen said:     (by the date of Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:17:55 +0100)

> > > I've found some information in
> > >
> > > /usr/share/doc/mdadm/FAQ.gz
> > >
> > > I'm wondering why this file is not advertised anywhere
> > > (eg. in 'man mdadm'). Does it exist only in debian packages, or what?
> > > With 'man 4 md' I've found a little sparse info about raid10. But
> > > still I don't get it.
> >
> > I have added a FAQ section to our howto wiki, and added a reference to
> > the above Debian FAQ, along to a few comments on it.
>
> great, thanks, for reference it's here:
>
>   http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Mdadm-faq
>
> I'm wondering, that maybe we could copy/paste that FAQ into that
> page? After all that website is the ultimate source of information
> about linux-raid. Whatever is updated in that FAQ would hopefully
> find its way back into the original FAQ...?

That was my plan at first, but then I discovered (from reading the first
couple of lines...) that there already was a web page for it.

I hesitate copying the page as it is already maintained.
But my idea was also the harvest the best info out of the outdated FAQs
and then maintain it on our wiki.

best regards
keld

* Re: linux raid faq
@ 2008-05-11 16:02     ` Janek Kozicki
From: Janek Kozicki @ 2008-05-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen, linux-raid

@ 2008-05-11 10:11   ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2008-05-11 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janek Kozicki; +Cc: linux-raid

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:05:40PM +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen said:     (by the date of Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:17:55 +0100)
>
> > Hmm, I read the Linux raid faq on
> > http://www.faqs.org/contrib/linux-raid/x37.html
>
> I've found some information in
>
> /usr/share/doc/mdadm/FAQ.gz
>
> I'm wondering why this file is not advertised anywhere
> (eg. in 'man mdadm'). Does it exist only in debian packages, or what?
> With 'man 4 md' I've found a little sparse info about raid10. But
> still I don't get it.

I have added a FAQ section to our howto wiki, and added a reference to
the above Debian FAQ, along to a few comments on it.

Best regards
keld

* Re: linux raid faq
@ 2008-01-30 14:03   ` Janek Kozicki
From: Janek Kozicki @ 2008-01-30 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

David Greaves said:     (by the date of Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:46:52 +0000)

> http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Main_Page

great idea! I belive that wikis are the best way to go.

> I have written to faqs.org but got no reply. I'll try again...
> > If I searched on google for "raid faq", the first say 5-7 items did not
> > mention raid10.
>
> Until people link to and use the new wiki, Google won't find it.

Everyone that has a website - link to that wiki RIGHT NOW! And we
will have a central place for all linux-raid documentation. Findable
with google.

There should be a link to it from vger.kernel.org. Or even the
kernel.org itself. Mailing list admins - can you do it?

best regards.

* Re: linux raid faq
@ 2008-01-30 12:46 ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2008-01-30 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: linux-raid

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> Hmm, I read the Linux raid faq on
> http://www.faqs.org/contrib/linux-raid/x37.html
>
> It looks pretty outdated, referring to how to patch 2.2 kernels and
> not mentioning new mdadm, nor raid10. It was not dated.
> It seemed to be related to the linux-raid list, telling where to find
> archives of the list.
>
> Maybe time for an update? or is this not the right place to write stuff?

http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Main_Page

I have written to faqs.org but got no reply. I'll try again...

> If I searched on google for "raid faq", the first say 5-7 items did not
> mention raid10.

Until people link to and use the new wiki, Google won't find it.

> Maybe wikipedia is the way to go? I did contribute myself a little
> there.
>
> The software raid howto is dated v. 1.1 3rd of June 2004,
> http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/Software-RAID.HOWTO.html
> also pretty old.

FYI
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Credits