* Help on nfs4 interpolarity between Solaris 10 and Linux
@ 2008-12-17 15:42 Lohin, Daniel
From: Lohin, Daniel @ 2008-12-17 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: autofs

We are using Red Hat 4.5 with autofs 4.1.3.  We are in a mixed
Solaris/Linux environment.  We have an automountMapName that needs to
support both NFS 3 and NFS4.  To complicate things, the solution must
work on both Solaris and Linux.  Here is what I have:

AUTO_MASTER:

dn: Automountkey=/-,automountMapName=auto_master,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation: auto_direct

automountKey: /-

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

dn: automountkey=/.hidden,automountMapName=auto_master,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation: auto_hidden

automountKey: /.hidden

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

Auto_hidden:

dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation:  -fstype=nfs4 server:/

automountKey: hiddenNfs4

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

dn: automountkey=*,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation:  server2,server3,server4,server5:/vol/&

automountKey: hiddenMain

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

From above in * of auto_hidden this must be nfs3 as that is all that is
supported by the servers in that automount.  In the hiddenNfs4
automountkey this must be nfs4 as it has to cross a firewall.

The * is working perfectly.  The problem is the hiddenNfs4 automount
map.

I can get it to work with Solaris with the following:

dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation:  -vers=4 server:/

automountKey: hiddenNfs4

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

Linux will work this this:

dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation:  -fstype=nfs4 server:/

automountKey: hiddenNfs4

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

Solaris will work with this, but fail for Linux

dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation:  -fstype=nfs4,-vers=4 server:/

automountKey: hiddenNfs4

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

Solaris will also work with this:

dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar

automountInformation:   server:/

automountKey: hiddenNfs4

objectClass: top

objectClass: automount

Solaris looks like it tries nfs4 and then if that fails it will continue
to try 3, 2, etc....

What I need is either an automountmap entry that works with both or a
way to have Linux mirror Solaris in trying NFS4 first and not requiring
any options.

Can anyone please help me out on this.  I have been stumped for a while
on this.

Thanks,

Daniel Lohin

* Re: Help on nfs4 interpolarity between Solaris 10 and Linux
@ 2008-12-23  6:18 ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2008-12-23  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lohin, Daniel; +Cc: autofs

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 10:42 -0500, Lohin, Daniel wrote:
> We are using Red Hat 4.5 with autofs 4.1.3.  We are in a mixed
> Solaris/Linux environment.  We have an automountMapName that needs to
> support both NFS 3 and NFS4.  To complicate things, the solution must
> work on both Solaris and Linux.  Here is what I have:

Have you tried looking at a debug log of what's happening?
See http://people.redhat.com/jmoyer for information about setting debug
logging.

> AUTO_MASTER:
>
> dn: Automountkey=/-,automountMapName=auto_master,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation: auto_direct
>
> automountKey: /-
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> dn: automountkey=/.hidden,automountMapName=auto_master,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation: auto_hidden
>
> automountKey: /.hidden
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> Auto_hidden:
>

> dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation:  -fstype=nfs4 server:/
>
> automountKey: hiddenNfs4
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> dn: automountkey=*,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation:  server2,server3,server4,server5:/vol/&
>
> automountKey: hiddenMain
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> From above in * of auto_hidden this must be nfs3 as that is all that
> is supported by the servers in that automount.  In the hiddenNfs4
> automountkey this must be nfs4 as it has to cross a firewall.
>

> The * is working perfectly.  The problem is the hiddenNfs4 automount
> map.
>

> I can get it to work with Solaris with the following:
>

> dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation:  -vers=4 server:/
>
> automountKey: hiddenNfs4
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> Linux will work this this:
>
> dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation:  -fstype=nfs4 server:/
>
> automountKey: hiddenNfs4
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> Solaris will work with this, but fail for Linux
>
> dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation:  -fstype=nfs4,-vers=4 server:/
>
> automountKey: hiddenNfs4
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> Solaris will also work with this:
>
> dn: automountkey=hiddenNfs4,automountMapName=auto_hidden,dc=foo,dc=bar
>
> automountInformation:   server:/
>
> automountKey: hiddenNfs4
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: automount
>

> Solaris looks like it tries nfs4 and then if that fails it will
> continue to try 3, 2, etc….
>

> What I need is either an automountmap entry that works with both or a
> way to have Linux mirror Solaris in trying NFS4 first and not
> requiring any options.

I don't know what's going on from this information but, depending on
mount(8), one or more of these should work.

Look at the debug log to find that out what is failing.

Linux mount(8) defaults to v3 ... so you can't make Linux work like
Solaris in this case.

Ian

* Re: Help on nfs4 interpolarity between Solaris 10 and Linux
@ 2008-12-23  7:45   ` Ondrej Valousek
From: Ondrej Valousek @ 2008-12-23  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: autofs

BTW:
I would not recommend using NFSv4 with RHEL4 on a production system. It
is unstable and I have easily managed to crash the system while using
it. Go for RHEL5.
Ondrej