* non empty package group
@ 2014-04-16 15:54 Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2014-04-16 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have some recipes that generate multiple packages.
I also have a package group that groups all the recipes.
I would like to use the package created with the packagegroup recipe to
install all the files coming from my recipes into the target system. The
aim is to have one package that will install/update all the binaries,
libraries and config of the recipes included in the packagegroup.
How can I include all the files in the recipes added to REDEPENDS of the
package group into the package to do this?
I've tried RPROVIDES but the .ipk package created from the
mypackagegroup.bbrecipe doesn't include any of the files.

Thanks

* Re: non empty package group
@ 2014-04-16 15:59 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-04-16 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: yocto

On Wednesday 16 April 2014 16:54:11 Katu Txakur wrote:
> I have some recipes that generate multiple packages.
> I also have a package group that groups all the recipes.
> I would like to use the package created with the packagegroup recipe to
> install all the files coming from my recipes into the target system. The
> aim is to have one package that will install/update all the binaries,
> libraries and config of the recipes included in the packagegroup.
> How can I include all the files in the recipes added to REDEPENDS of the
> package group into the package to do this?
> I've tried RPROVIDES but the .ipk package created from the
> mypackagegroup.bbrecipe doesn't include any of the files.

If your packagegroup recipe does "inherit packagegroup" and sets
RDEPENDS_${PN} to depend upon the packages within the group, that will ensure
that the packages get installed when the packagegroup's package is installed.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: non empty package group
@ 2014-04-16 16:09   ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2014-04-16 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

Thanks Paul,

yes, it does "inherit packagegroup" and all the packages are installed.
What I would like to have is a mypackagegroup.ipk that I can copy to any
system to install all the files, binaries.... in those recipes using "opkg
install mypackage.ipk"
The problem that I have is that the files, binaries... of the recipes in
RDEPENDS_${PN} are not included in the mypackagegroup.ipk. Do you know how
can I include them?

@ 2014-04-16 16:17     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-04-16 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: yocto

On Wednesday 16 April 2014 17:09:19 Katu Txakur wrote:
> yes, it does "inherit packagegroup" and all the packages are installed.
> What I would like to have is a mypackagegroup.ipk that I can copy to any
> system to install all the files, binaries.... in those recipes using "opkg
> install mypackage.ipk"
> The problem that I have is that the files, binaries... of the recipes in
> RDEPENDS_${PN} are not included in the mypackagegroup.ipk. Do you know how
> can I include them?

opkg and similar package managers simply aren't designed to work like that;
it's expected that both devices would have access to the same package feeds
and therefore you would just install the packagegroup package on each system
in the same way.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2014-04-16 16:28       ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2014-04-16 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

I see, but I don't want to feed the package from a repo, I just want to
include all the files in the package.
I'm now trying to set
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_each-recipe = "mypackagegroup"
hoping that it will change the location of the files from their individual
recipes/packages to the packagegroup.
I've just cleaned the entire tmp folder, I will find out tomorrow if this
worked.

Thanks

@ 2014-04-16 16:34         ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-04-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: yocto

On Wednesday 16 April 2014 17:28:45 Katu Txakur wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 April 2014 17:09:19 Katu Txakur wrote:
> > > yes, it does "inherit packagegroup" and all the packages are installed.
> > > What I would like to have is a mypackagegroup.ipk that I can copy to any
> > > system to install all the files, binaries.... in those recipes using
> > > "opkg install mypackage.ipk"
> > > The problem that I have is that the files, binaries... of the recipes in
> > > RDEPENDS_${PN} are not included in the mypackagegroup.ipk. Do you know
> > > how can I include them?
> >
> > opkg and similar package managers simply aren't designed to work like
> > that; it's expected that both devices would have access to the same
> > package feeds and therefore you would just install the packagegroup
> > package on each system in the same way.
>
> I see, but I don't want to feed the package from a repo, I just want to
> include all the files in the package.
> I'm now trying to set
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_each-recipe = "mypackagegroup"
> hoping that it will change the location of the files from their individual
> recipes/packages to the packagegroup.
> I've just cleaned the entire tmp folder, I will find out tomorrow if this
> worked.

It isn't as simple as that, that just selects between providers but there is
nothing to actually make the "mypackagegroup" recipe actually provide
anything. The files would need to actually be produced as part of the
packagegroup recipe, and then it isn't really a packagegroup anymore.

I'm afraid our system just isn't designed to work this way. I'm sure it could
be made to, but it would require some additional work.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2014-04-17  6:34           ` Katu Txakur