* Question re live migrate on Xen 4.2 re different cpu capabilities
@ 2013-02-07  9:08 Alex Bligh
From: Alex Bligh @ 2013-02-07  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen Devel; +Cc: Alex Bligh

We've run into an issue on live migrate on Xen 4.2. We've mainly tested HVM
on qemu-upstream DM with my live migrate patches in, but it seems to apply
in any HVM live migrate.

What we see is under certain circumstances a linux guest booted on machine
A will live-migrate to machine B and back again, but a linux guest booted
on machine B will not live migrate to machine A - it hangs after the
migration.

Tracking this down to different pairs of machines A and B, the difference
seems to be down to different CPU capabilities. In particular, if B has
identical CPU flags to A except that B supports xsave, the above seems to
happen reliably. I presume what may be happening is that the guest notes
and uses the presence of xsave on boot, and becomes unhappy when the
recipient machine does not have it.

KVM with default settings does not suffer from this issue. I presume it is
presenting by default a masked set of CPU capabilities.

Is there any way to do similarly in Xen? Or is Xen live migrate effectively
restricted to live migrate between identical CPUs?

--
Alex Bligh

* Question re live migrate on Xen 4.2 re different cpu capabilities
@ 2013-02-07  9:07 Alex Bligh