* [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-04 23:01 Anthony Liguori
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-04 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0
release.  This release has been a year in the making and is the result
of almost 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.

It can be downloaded from Savannah at:

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/qemu/qemu-0.10.0.tar.gz

The changes are too numerous to list here, but some highlights include:

 o TCG support
  - No longer requires GCC 3.x
 o Kernel Virtual Machine acceleration support
 o BSD userspace emulation
 o Bluetooth emulation and host passthrough support
 o GDB XML register description support
 o Intel e1000 emulation
 o HPET emulation
 o VirtIO paravirtual device support
 o Marvell 88w8618 / MusicPal emulation
 o Nokia N-series tablet emulation / OMAP2 processor emulation
 o PCI hotplug support
 o Live migration and new save/restore formats
 o Curses display support
 o qemu-nbd utility to mount supported block formats
 o Altivec support in PPC emulation and new firmware (OpenBIOS)
 o Multiple VNC clients are now supported
 o TLS encryption is now supported in VNC
 o Many, many, bug fixes and new features

We would also like to dedicate this release to the memory of Thiemo
Seufer, who died tragically in a car accident on December 26th, 2008.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori (on behalf of the QEMU team)

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-05  0:35 ` Mark Bidewell
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Bidewell @ 2009-03-05  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0 release.
>  This release has been a year in the making and is the result of almost
> 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.
>
> It can be downloaded from Savannah at:

> o Kernel Virtual Machine acceleration support
> We would also like to dedicate this release to the memory of Thiemo Seufer,
> who died tragically in a car accident on December 26th, 2008.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori (on behalf of the QEMU team)

Does this new release change the way in which the KVM and Qemu
projects interact or will KVM continue to maintain its own updated
Qemu version?

--
Mark Bidewell
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidewell

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-05  1:49 ` Natalia Portillo
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Natalia Portillo @ 2009-03-05  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

So I offer a glass of champagne to all the developers.

Also I take the moment to remember all of you that our official OS
Support List is alive at http://www.claunia.com/qemu/

Regards,
Natalia Portillo

El 04/03/2009, a las 23:01, Anthony Liguori escribió:

> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0
> release.  This release has been a year in the making and is the
> result of almost 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.
>
> It can be downloaded from Savannah at:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/qemu/qemu-0.10.0.tar.gz
>
> The changes are too numerous to list here, but some highlights
> include:
>
> o TCG support
> - No longer requires GCC 3.x
> o Kernel Virtual Machine acceleration support
> o BSD userspace emulation
> o Bluetooth emulation and host passthrough support
> o GDB XML register description support
> o Intel e1000 emulation
> o HPET emulation
> o VirtIO paravirtual device support
> o Marvell 88w8618 / MusicPal emulation
> o Nokia N-series tablet emulation / OMAP2 processor emulation
> o PCI hotplug support
> o Live migration and new save/restore formats
> o Curses display support
> o qemu-nbd utility to mount supported block formats
> o Altivec support in PPC emulation and new firmware (OpenBIOS)
> o Multiple VNC clients are now supported
> o TLS encryption is now supported in VNC
> o Many, many, bug fixes and new features
>
> We would also like to dedicate this release to the memory of Thiemo
> Seufer, who died tragically in a car accident on December 26th, 2008.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori (on behalf of the QEMU team)

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-05  2:00 ` Jonathan Kalbfeld
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Kalbfeld @ 2009-03-05  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

> We would also like to dedicate this release to the memory of Thiemo Seufer,
> who died tragically in a car accident on December 26th, 2008.

:( Is there a software cause or charity I can make a donation in memorium?

jonathan

Jonathan Kalbfeld
ThoughtWave Technologies LLC
www.thoughtwave.com

"Yes, we did!"

Learn UNIX For Free at unixlessons.com

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-05  2:29   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-05  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Avi Kivity

Mark Bidewell wrote:
> Does this new release change the way in which the KVM and Qemu
> projects interact or will KVM continue to maintain its own updated
> Qemu version?

You can think of KVM's QEMU tree as a staging tree.  There are some
large changes that are taking some time to merge fully, but we're slowly
getting there.  A huge chunk of the changes in KVM's tree have already
been merged for this release.  At the current rate, we should have
almost everything merged by the next QEMU release.

I don't want to speak for Avi, but I expect that we'll start seeing KVM
userspace releases that more closely match the QEMU release process too.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-05  3:54 ` Jonathan Kalbfeld
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Kalbfeld @ 2009-03-05  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

I am working on seeing if I can package this up for Solaris/SPARC.

I will put a postinstall script in so the last thing the users see is
a dedication to Thiemo.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will work on Solaris 10/sparc.

jonathan

Learn UNIX For Free at unixlessons.com

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-05  9:48 ` Lubomir Rintel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lubomir Rintel @ 2009-03-05  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:01 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0
> release.  This release has been a year in the making and is the result
> of almost 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.
>  o Kernel Virtual Machine acceleration support

Does this actually work on 32bit i386 for anyone?
I thought this would block pretty much any use of it:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-03/msg00113.html

--
Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak@v3.sk>

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-05 16:40 ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2009-03-05 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: kvm-devel, qemu-devel

On 17:01 Wed 04 Mar     , Anthony Liguori wrote:
> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0
> release.  This release has been a year in the making and is the result
> of almost 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.
>
> It can be downloaded from Savannah at:
>
>  http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/qemu/qemu-0.10.0.tar.gz
>
> The changes are too numerous to list here, but some highlights include:
>
> o TCG support
>  - No longer requires GCC 3.x
> o Kernel Virtual Machine acceleration support
> o BSD userspace emulation
> o Bluetooth emulation and host passthrough support
> o GDB XML register description support
> o Intel e1000 emulation
> o HPET emulation
> o VirtIO paravirtual device support
> o Marvell 88w8618 / MusicPal emulation
> o Nokia N-series tablet emulation / OMAP2 processor emulation
> o PCI hotplug support
> o Live migration and new save/restore formats
> o Curses display support
> o qemu-nbd utility to mount supported block formats
> o Altivec support in PPC emulation and new firmware (OpenBIOS)
> o Multiple VNC clients are now supported
> o TLS encryption is now supported in VNC
> o Many, many, bug fixes and new features
>
> We would also like to dedicate this release to the memory of Thiemo
> Seufer, who died tragically in a car accident on December 26th, 2008.
good idea

I'd like to pack the next release of U-Boot for the emulation system that
support it. I'll prepare a patch next week

Best Regards,
J.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-05 18:44   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

Lubomir Rintel wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:01 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
>> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0
>> release.  This release has been a year in the making and is the result
>> of almost 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.

>>  o Kernel Virtual Machine acceleration support
>>

> Does this actually work on 32bit i386 for anyone?
> I thought this would block pretty much any use of it:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-03/msg00113.html

I test on x86_64.  FWIW, this I'll merge this patch into the stable tree.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-05 18:47 ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0
> release.  This release has been a year in the making and is the result
> of almost 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.
>
> It can be downloaded from Savannah at:
>
>  http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/qemu/qemu-0.10.0.tar.gz

N.B. The website is going to take a little time to be updated but the
release is available from this location.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2009-03-05 19:23   ` Geraldo Netto
From: Geraldo Netto @ 2009-03-05 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

Hi,

Guys,

could any of you update qemu's site:
http://bellard.org/qemu/download.html

it still referencing qemu 0.9.1...

btw, Great Work!

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Geraldo
Sapere Aude
Non ducor, duco
São Paulo, Brasil, -3gmt
site: http://exdev.sf.net/
msn: geraldo_boca_at_hotmail.com
skype: geraldo-netto
icq: 145-061-456

@ 2009-03-06  1:08     ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2009-03-06  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> I test on x86_64.  FWIW, this I'll merge this patch into the stable tree.

Since we have nested KVM now, can you test on x86_32 inside a VM? :-)

-- Jamie

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-06  4:13 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2009-03-06  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.10.0 release.
>  This release has been a year in the making and is the result of almost
> 3,000 changesets from around 80 developers.
>
> It can be downloaded from Savannah at:
>
>  http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/qemu/qemu-0.10.0.tar.gz

Great news! It's so refreshing to know I can use new official Qemu release :)

No wonder I don't see Thiemo's posts anymore. My condolescence.... his
works will be forever remembered inside Qemu code

regards,

Mulyadi.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-07  0:44     ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2009-03-07  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm-devel, x

On Thursday 05 March 2009 13:23:52 Geraldo Netto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Guys,
>
> could any of you update qemu's site:
> http://bellard.org/qemu/download.html
>
> it still referencing qemu 0.9.1...
>
> btw, Great Work!

While you're at it, qemu.org is still pointing to a "click here to be
redirected" page rather than aliasing bellard.org/qemu properly.  (This has
been true for about a year now.)

The domain claims to be owned by Olivier Guillaumin, who would probably be
this guy:
http://www.intersec.com/en/group/team/board

But the website for (and contact page of) his company is entirely in french:
http://www.netgem.com/contactUs.php

Anybody here speak french?

Rob

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-07  9:53       ` Andreas Färber
From: Andreas Färber @ 2009-03-07  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

http://www.netgem.com/en/contactUs.php ?

@ 2009-03-08 16:33     ` Stuart Brady
From: Stuart Brady @ 2009-03-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 04:23:52PM -0300, Geraldo Netto wrote:
> could any of you update qemu's site:
> http://bellard.org/qemu/download.html
>
> it still referencing qemu 0.9.1...

Note also that the documentation is still from 0.9.1.

It may be worth adding a comment after the 'QEMU Internals' link
(and perhaps in the documentation itself) to indicate that some
parts of it (i.e. those that reference dyngen) are out of date.

BTW, the 'status' page also needs updating -- at least, support for
MIPS, S390, IA64, M68K and Alpha hosts has been lost, and there is now
'dev only' HPPA support.  I also wonder how accurate the Target CPU
support section is -- is x86_64 user emulation still badly broken?

Stuart Brady

* Re: [Qemu-devel] ANNOUNCE: Release 0.10.0 of QEMU
@ 2009-03-08 18:33       ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Stuart Brady wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 04:23:52PM -0300, Geraldo Netto wrote:
>
>> could any of you update qemu's site:
>> http://bellard.org/qemu/download.html
>>
>> it still referencing qemu 0.9.1...
>>

> Note also that the documentation is still from 0.9.1.

Thanks, I've fixed this.  BTW, the new website URL is
http://www.nongnu.org/qemu.  I'm looking into getting qemu.org
redirected to there.

> It may be worth adding a comment after the 'QEMU Internals' link
> (and perhaps in the documentation itself) to indicate that some
> parts of it (i.e. those that reference dyngen) are out of date.
>

> BTW, the 'status' page also needs updating -- at least, support for
> MIPS, S390, IA64, M68K and Alpha hosts has been lost, and there is now
> 'dev only' HPPA support.  I also wonder how accurate the Target CPU
> support section is -- is x86_64 user emulation still badly broken?

Let me straighten out the website hosting and maybe we can move to a wiki.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori