* Multiple Mounting of one XFS Partition
@ 2009-03-16 14:06 Steffen Knauf
From: Steffen Knauf @ 2009-03-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hello,

i have 2 Servers which are connected with a raid via FibreChannel.
Both of them have mounted the same XFS-Partition. But if i change a
Filepermission
or add some Files at the Partition of server1, the partition of server2
don't show the modifications
until i remount the Partitions. I don't know how whether it is a cache
Option or something else.
Perhaps someone have an idea.
Thanks!

greets

Steffen

* Re: Multiple Mounting of one XFS Partition
@ 2009-03-16 14:38 ` Felix Blyakher
From: Felix Blyakher @ 2009-03-16 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steffen.knauf; +Cc: xfs

On Mar 16, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Steffen Knauf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have 2 Servers which are connected with a raid via FibreChannel.

Unless you have some sort of cluster filesystem, it's not going
to work.

> Both of them have mounted the same XFS-Partition. But if i change a
> Filepermission
> or add some Files at the Partition of server1, the partition of
> server2 don't show the modifications
> until i remount the Partitions.

The changes done by server1 won't be flushed to disk, where they
could be seen by server2, till much later, or on unmount.

> I don't know how whether it is a cache Option or something else.

That's how any modern filesystem work.

Cheers,
Felix

@ 2009-03-17  2:17 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-03-17  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steffen.knauf; +Cc: xfs

Steffen Knauf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have 2 Servers which are connected with a raid via FibreChannel.
> Both of them have mounted the same XFS-Partition. But if i change a
> Filepermission
> or add some Files at the Partition of server1, the partition of server2
> don't show the modifications
> until i remount the Partitions. I don't know how whether it is a cache
> Option or something else.
> Perhaps someone have an idea.
> Thanks!
>
> greets

You can't do this.  It will corrupt your filesystem; there is *nothing*
which will give you coherency between the nodes.

This is what SGI sells CXFS for (for big $$$)

-Eric