* Lost files + indentical Foldernames on XFS Partition
@ 2009-03-17 17:27 Steffen Knauf
From: Steffen Knauf @ 2009-03-17 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hello,

today i have a strange behavior. I have a a directory which contains
lots of indentical Folders with the same Name and Inode.
I don't create Hardlinks or something else. On the other side some files
are suddenly vanished. A "ls -al" result in the following error:
"Access  to bla not possible: File or Directory not found."
I don't find some Errormessages in the logfile. I don't know whether a
xfs_check make sense.

greets

Steffen

* Re: Lost files + indentical Foldernames on XFS Partition
@ 2009-03-19  9:25           ` Steffen Knauf
From: Steffen Knauf @ 2009-03-19  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Sebastian Brings, xfs

>> Yes, but i mounted the partition only a short time parallel (we only
>> read from this partition). At the moment, the mounted Filesystem is only
>> mounted on one machine.
>>
>> Steffen
>>

> oh... well in that case, do an xfs_repair before anything else.
>
> -Eric

I unmount the partition, but if i try to use xfs_repair, i get the
following error:

xfs_repair: /dev/sdc3 contains a mounted and writable filesystem

fatal error -- couldn't initialize XFS library

greets

Steffen

--

Steffen Knauf
System Management

fon: +49 (0)89 - 51 555 878
fax: +49 (0)89 51 555 877

*LIGA_01 | MÜNCHEN

*LIGA_01 COMPUTERFILM GmbH *| *Landwehrstrasse 60-62 *| *80336 Munich,
Germany
fon: +49 (0)89 51 555 888 *|* fax: +49 (0)89 51 555 877 *| *www.liga01.com

Geschäftsführer: Pablo Bach, Justus Engel, Sebastian Faber *|*
Amtsgericht München HRB 143251 *| *USt-IdNr. DE223186904

*LIGA_01 | HAMBURG

*LIGA_01 COMPUTERFILM HAMBURG GmbH *| *Grosse Theaterstrasse 1 *| *20354
Hamburg, Germany
fon: +49 (0)40 226 226 00 *| *fax: +49 (0) 40 226 226 026 *| *www.liga01.com

Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Nachricht irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte den Absender
und löschen diese Nachricht. Das unerlaubte Kopieren und die unbefugte
Weiterleitung dieser Nachricht sind nicht gestattet.

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender and delete this message. Any
unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of this message is
strictly forbidden.

* Re: Lost files + indentical Foldernames on XFS Partition
@ 2009-03-18 14:34           ` Steffen Knauf
From: Steffen Knauf @ 2009-03-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Sebastian Brings, xfs

> Steffen Knauf wrote:
>
>>> Does this happen on the filesystem you mounted in parallel on two machines?
>>> I remember your question from early this week, so I ask
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>

>> Yes, but i mounted the partition only a short time parallel (we only
>> read from this partition). At the moment, the mounted Filesystem is only
>> mounted on one machine.
>>
>> Steffen
>>

> oh... well in that case, do an xfs_repair before anything else.
>
> -Eric

Yes, i'll do this in next days, but the Partitions are very huge ( 5 TB).
I think that will take a while. Till then, greets and thanks!

@ 2009-03-18 14:00         ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-03-18 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen.Knauf; +Cc: Sebastian Brings, xfs

@ 2009-03-18  8:43       ` Steffen Knauf
From: Steffen Knauf @ 2009-03-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Brings; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, xfs

@ 2009-03-18  8:33     ` Sebastian Brings
From: Sebastian Brings @ 2009-03-18  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen.Knauf, Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs

@ 2009-03-18  2:12     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-03-18  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen.Knauf; +Cc: xfs

Steffen Knauf wrote:
>> Steffen Knauf wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> today i have a strange behavior. I have a a directory which contains
>>> lots of indentical Folders with the same Name and Inode.
>>>
>> What kernel?
>
> Linux version 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.1.2
> 20070115 (SUSE Linux))

Would probably be good to try an upstream kernel to see if it persists,
if you can; otherwise for an older distro kernel like this, a report to
SuSE would be in order.

>> Can you cut and paste what you see?
>
> Really strange is that if execute only a 'ls' command the files are
> shown twice:
>
> combine_sbn.0051.tga
> combine_sbn.0051.tga
>
> But if i execute 'ls -il' the output looks like this:
>
> combine_sbn.0051.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> combine_sbn.0057.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> combine_sbn.0058.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

so the filename is in the directory but doesn't point to a valid file I
guess.

> Here a directory example:
>
> 2147642598 drwxrwxrwx 2 500 500 4096 2009-03-17 12:33
> S14-01_Fische_beauty_Main
> 2147642598 drwxrwxrwx 2 500 500 4096 2009-03-17 12:33
> S14-01_Fische_beauty_Main
>
>>> I don't create Hardlinks or something else. On the other side some files
>>> are suddenly vanished. A "ls -al" result in the following error:
>>> "Access  to bla not possible: File or Directory not found."
>>> I don't find some Errormessages in the logfile. I don't know whether a
>>> xfs_check make sense.
>>>
>> xfs_repair -n will check the filesystem without actually modifying anything.
>>
> I'll try it....

You could also create an xfs_metadump to save for later investigation.

-Eric

@ 2009-03-17 22:52   ` Steffen Knauf
From: Steffen Knauf @ 2009-03-17 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs

> Steffen Knauf wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> today i have a strange behavior. I have a a directory which contains
>> lots of indentical Folders with the same Name and Inode.
>>

> What kernel?

Linux version 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.1.2
20070115 (SUSE Linux))
> Can you cut and paste what you see?

Really strange is that if execute only a 'ls' command the files are
shown twice:

combine_sbn.0051.tga
combine_sbn.0051.tga

But if i execute 'ls -il' the output looks like this:

combine_sbn.0051.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
combine_sbn.0057.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
combine_sbn.0058.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Here a directory example:

2147642598 drwxrwxrwx 2 500 500 4096 2009-03-17 12:33
S14-01_Fische_beauty_Main
2147642598 drwxrwxrwx 2 500 500 4096 2009-03-17 12:33
S14-01_Fische_beauty_Main

>> I don't create Hardlinks or something else. On the other side some files
>> are suddenly vanished. A "ls -al" result in the following error:
>> "Access  to bla not possible: File or Directory not found."
>> I don't find some Errormessages in the logfile. I don't know whether a
>> xfs_check make sense.
>>

> xfs_repair -n will check the filesystem without actually modifying anything.

I'll try it....
> -Eric

Steffen

*
*

* Re: Lost files + indentical Foldernames on XFS Partition
@ 2009-03-17 17:28 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-03-17 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen.Knauf; +Cc: xfs

@ 2009-03-17 17:22 Steffen Knauf