* autofs mounting certain home directories for no reason
@ 2009-03-17  0:05 Krish Pillai
From: Krish Pillai @ 2009-03-17  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: autofs

I just upgraded from Fedora 8 to Fedora 10
(2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.x86_64) on some of my machines and autofs seems
to be acting up. My server is running fc7.
I have ypbind and automount running on all clients and the clients seem
to be repeatedly sending mount/umount  requests to the server on behalf
of users who are not even trying to log in. As a result I see home
directories getting mounted on the clients and getting unmounted all the
time. Is this a known problem? If so, is there a fix?
Krish

[-- Attachment #2: kpillai.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Dr. Krish Pillai
n:Pillai;Krish
org:Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania;Computer Science
adr:401 N. Fairview Street;;Rm 224 Akeley Hall;Lock Haven;PA;17745;United States of America
email;internet:kpillai@lhup.edu
title:Assistant Professor
tel;work:570 484 2346
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: autofs mounting certain home directories for no reason
@ 2009-03-20  1:32 ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2009-03-20  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krish Pillai; +Cc: autofs

Krish Pillai wrote:
> I just upgraded from Fedora 8 to Fedora 10
> (2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.x86_64) on some of my machines and autofs seems
> to be acting up. My server is running fc7.
> I have ypbind and automount running on all clients and the clients seem
> to be repeatedly sending mount/umount  requests to the server on behalf
> of users who are not even trying to log in. As a result I see home
> directories getting mounted on the clients and getting unmounted all the
> time. Is this a known problem? If so, is there a fix?

I'm not aware of a problem.

You probably should collect information as described at
http://people.redhat.com/jmoyer and log a bug. The debug log and autofs
maps are probably the most important bits initially.

Ian

* Re: autofs mounting certain home directories for no reason
@ 2009-03-20 12:53   ` Jeff Moyer
From: Jeff Moyer @ 2009-03-20 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Kent; +Cc: autofs

Ian Kent <raven@themaw.net> writes:

> Krish Pillai wrote:
>> I just upgraded from Fedora 8 to Fedora 10
>> (2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.x86_64) on some of my machines and autofs seems
>> to be acting up. My server is running fc7.
>> I have ypbind and automount running on all clients and the clients seem
>> to be repeatedly sending mount/umount  requests to the server on behalf
>> of users who are not even trying to log in. As a result I see home
>> directories getting mounted on the clients and getting unmounted all the
>> time. Is this a known problem? If so, is there a fix?
>
> I'm not aware of a problem.
>
> You probably should collect information as described at
> http://people.redhat.com/jmoyer and log a bug. The debug log and autofs
> maps are probably the most important bits initially.

This is most likely some application in F10 (like the gnome trash
daemon) that is triggerring lookups in the home directory.  Automount,
in and of itself, doesn't usually try to do extra work.  ;)

-Jeff