* KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 14:58 Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Today we upgraded one of our VM's from F9 to F10 and after the first
reboot we see the dreaded GRUB prompt.  This it turns out is a known
problem with F10 installs.  And the recovery is usually very simple.
You boot into rescue mode from CDROM and reinstall the boot loader.  The
problem we're seeing is that even though I select CDROM from the boot
menu, it will never boot from the CDROM.  It always has an error.  What
can we do to get this VM to boot from the CDROM drive so that we can
install a  new bootloader and recover this VM?

Regards,
Gerry

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 15:00 ` Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2009-03-31 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

Gerry Reno schrieb:
> Today we upgraded one of our VM's from F9 to F10 and after the first
> reboot we see the dreaded GRUB prompt.  This it turns out is a known
> problem with F10 installs.  And the recovery is usually very simple.
> You boot into rescue mode from CDROM and reinstall the boot loader.  The
> problem we're seeing is that even though I select CDROM from the boot
> menu, it will never boot from the CDROM.  It always has an error.

What error?

> What
> can we do to get this VM to boot from the CDROM drive so that we can
> install a  new bootloader and recover this VM?

What parameters do you use to start the guest?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 15:08   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Gerry Reno schrieb:
>> Today we upgraded one of our VM's from F9 to F10 and after the first
>> reboot we see the dreaded GRUB prompt.  This it turns out is a known
>> problem with F10 installs.  And the recovery is usually very simple.
>> You boot into rescue mode from CDROM and reinstall the boot loader.
>> The problem we're seeing is that even though I select CDROM from the
>> boot menu, it will never boot from the CDROM.  It always has an error.
>
> What error?

Boot Failure Code:  0003
Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
FATAL: No bootable device.

The host has only a DVD drive and we are using the DVD F10 install disk.

>> What can we do to get this VM to boot from the CDROM drive so that we
>> can install a  new bootloader and recover this VM?
>
> What parameters do you use to start the guest?

I'm using the GUI VMM and selecting Run on that VM.

@ 2009-03-31 15:10     ` Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2009-03-31 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

Gerry Reno schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> Gerry Reno schrieb:
>>> Today we upgraded one of our VM's from F9 to F10 and after the first
>>> reboot we see the dreaded GRUB prompt.  This it turns out is a known
>>> problem with F10 installs.  And the recovery is usually very simple.
>>> You boot into rescue mode from CDROM and reinstall the boot loader.
>>> The problem we're seeing is that even though I select CDROM from the
>>> boot menu, it will never boot from the CDROM.  It always has an error.
>>
>> What error?
>>
> Boot Failure Code:  0003
> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
> FATAL: No bootable device.
>
> The host has only a DVD drive and we are using the DVD F10 install disk.
>

>>> What can we do to get this VM to boot from the CDROM drive so that we
>>> can install a  new bootloader and recover this VM?
>>
>> What parameters do you use to start the guest?
>>

> I'm using the GUI VMM and selecting Run on that VM.

What is GUI VMM?
Do you know what parameters it passes to kvm binary?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 15:18       ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Gerry Reno schrieb:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>>
>>> What error?
>>>
>> Boot Failure Code:  0003
>> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
>> FATAL: No bootable device.
>>
>> The host has only a DVD drive and we are using the DVD F10 install disk.

>>> What parameters do you use to start the guest?
>>>

>> I'm using the GUI VMM and selecting Run on that VM.
>
> What is GUI VMM?
virt-manager

> Do you know what parameters it passes to kvm binary?

Here's the XML dump for that VM:
<domain type='kvm' id='8'>
  <name>MX_3</name>
  <uuid>5f478a4f-86e6-82b5-b53b-acff9d9f1f23</uuid>
  <memory>524288</memory>
  <currentMemory>524288</currentMemory>
  <vcpu>2</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='i686' machine='pc'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <source file='/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
    </disk>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
    </interface>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5901' autoport='yes' listen='127.0.0.1'
keymap='en-us'/>
  </devices>
</domain>

@ 2009-03-31 15:50         ` Charles Duffy
From: Charles Duffy @ 2009-03-31 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
>> What is GUI VMM?
> virt-manager

The libvirt mailing list is the right place to get support for
virt-manager. To get support for kvm proper here, you'll want to use ps
to see the command line with which libvirtd is invoking kvm and provide
that.

That said, the XML you copied contains no CD-ROM device; you'll want to
fix that before proceeding.

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 15:55           ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Charles Duffy wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>>> What is GUI VMM?
>> virt-manager
>
> To get support for kvm proper here, you'll want to use ps to see the
> command line with which libvirtd is invoking kvm and provide that.

/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot c
-drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
-net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=18,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
-vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us

What should I add to this line to get cdrom working?

@ 2009-03-31 16:13             ` Charles Duffy
From: Charles Duffy @ 2009-03-31 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Charles Duffy wrote:
>>> virt-manager
>>
>> To get support for kvm proper here, you'll want to use ps to see the
>> command line with which libvirtd is invoking kvm and provide that.
>>
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot c
> -drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
> -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
> tap,fd=18,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
> -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us

-drive file=/path/to/your.iso,if=ide,index=1,media=cdrom

or, in your XML:

     <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
       <source file='/path/to/your.iso'/>
       <target dev='hdd' bus='ide'/>
       <readonly/>
     </disk>

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 17:01               ` Gerry Reno
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Charles Duffy wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> Charles Duffy wrote:
>>>
>>> To get support for kvm proper here, you'll want to use ps to see the
>>> command line with which libvirtd is invoking kvm and provide that.
>>>
>> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty
>> -boot c -drive
>> file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
>> -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
>> tap,fd=18,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none
>> -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
>
> -drive file=/path/to/your.iso,if=ide,index=1,media=cdrom
>
> or, in your XML:
>
>     <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
>       <source file='/path/to/your.iso'/>
>       <target dev='hdd' bus='ide'/>
>       <readonly/>
>     </disk>

I put the xml stanza in the file and undefine/define domain but it gives
an error about cannot read image file.
<source file=/media/Fedora 10 DVD"/>
And I check this path and I can read all the files from the command line
on the DVD just fine.
What could be the problem?

@ 2009-03-31 17:05                 ` Javier Guerra
From: Javier Guerra @ 2009-03-31 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
> Charles Duffy wrote:
> I put the xml stanza in the file and undefine/define domain but it gives an
> error about cannot read image file.
> <source file=/media/Fedora 10 DVD"/>
> And I check this path and I can read all the files from the command line on
> the DVD just fine.
> What could be the problem?

don't put a mount dir, either use a ISO image, or the cdrom device file

--
Javier

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 17:07                 ` Charles Duffy
From: Charles Duffy @ 2009-03-31 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> <source file=/media/Fedora 10 DVD"/>

Well, you're missing a set of opening quotation marks here... and your
file doesn't have a .iso extension? That's rather unusual.

Anyhow, inasmuch as you're unable to run a define successfully, this is
a libvirt usage problem, not a kvm issue; I suggest you try irc.oftc.net
#virt or gmane.comp.emulators.libvirt for support.

* Re: KVM-74:  HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 17:10                 ` Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2009-03-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

Gerry Reno schrieb:

>>     <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
>>       <source file='/path/to/your.iso'/>
>>       <target dev='hdd' bus='ide'/>
>>       <readonly/>
>>     </disk>
>>
> I put the xml stanza in the file and undefine/define domain but it gives
> an error about cannot read image file.
> <source file=/media/Fedora 10 DVD"/>
> And I check this path and I can read all the files from the command line
> on the DVD just fine.
> What could be the problem?

/some/where/fedora.iso

_not_ a mounted directory!

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

* Re: KVM-74: HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 17:22                   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Charles Duffy wrote:
>> I put the xml stanza in the file and undefine/define domain but it gives an
>> error about cannot read image file.
>> <source file=/media/Fedora 10 DVD"/>
>> And I check this path and I can read all the files from the command line on
>> the DVD just fine.
>> What could be the problem?
>>

> don't put a mount dir, either use a ISO image, or the cdrom device file

Ok, a little closer now.  I put this in xml file and redefine domain and
it now defines:

<source file=/dev/sr0"/>
This was device that mount showed as mounting the DVD.

But when the domain boots and I select 3. CDROM from screen, it still shows the original boot error:
Boot Failure Code:  0003
Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
FATAL: No bootable device.

What should I change?

@ 2009-03-31 17:31                     ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Javier Guerra wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Charles Duffy wrote:
>>> I put the xml stanza in the file and undefine/define domain but it
>>> gives an
>>> error about cannot read image file.
>>> <source file=/media/Fedora 10 DVD"/>
>>> And I check this path and I can read all the files from the command
>>> line on
>>> the DVD just fine.
>>> What could be the problem?
>>>

>> don't put a mount dir, either use a ISO image, or the cdrom device file
>>

> Ok, a little closer now.  I put this in xml file and redefine domain
> and it now defines:
>
> <source file=/dev/sr0"/>
> This was device that mount showed as mounting the DVD.
>
> But when the domain boots and I select 3. CDROM from screen, it still
> shows the original boot error:
> Boot Failure Code:  0003
> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
> FATAL: No bootable device.
> What should I change?

Here is what command looks like now using 'ps':
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot c
-drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
-drive file=/dev/sr0,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=3 -net
nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
-vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us

@ 2009-03-31 18:03                       ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> Javier Guerra wrote:

>>> don't put a mount dir, either use a ISO image, or the cdrom device file
>>>

>> Ok, a little closer now.  I put this in xml file and redefine domain
>> and it now defines:
>>
>> <source file=/dev/sr0"/>
>> This was device that mount showed as mounting the DVD.
>>
>> But when the domain boots and I select 3. CDROM from screen, it still
>> shows the original boot error:
>> Boot Failure Code:  0003
>> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
>> FATAL: No bootable device.
>> What should I change?
>>
> Here is what command looks like now using 'ps':
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot
> c -drive
> file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
> -drive file=/dev/sr0,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=3 -net
> nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
> -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us

And I try other disk type:
<disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
But that produces the same error.

What else can I add in order to boot from cdrom?

@ 2009-03-31 18:05                         ` Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2009-03-31 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

Gerry Reno schrieb:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> Ok, a little closer now.  I put this in xml file and redefine domain
>>> and it now defines:
>>>
>>> <source file=/dev/sr0"/>
>>> This was device that mount showed as mounting the DVD.
>>>
>>> But when the domain boots and I select 3. CDROM from screen, it still
>>> shows the original boot error:
>>> Boot Failure Code:  0003
>>> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
>>> FATAL: No bootable device.
>>> What should I change?
>>>
>> Here is what command looks like now using 'ps':
>> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot
>> c -drive
>> file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
>> -drive file=/dev/sr0,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=3 -net
>> nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
>> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
>> -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
>>
> And I try other disk type:
> <disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
> But that produces the same error.
>
> What else can I add in order to boot from cdrom?

What does:

md5sum /dev/sr0

output?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

* Re: KVM-74: HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 18:22                           ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Gerry Reno schrieb:
>> Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> Here is what command looks like now using 'ps':
>>> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty
>>> -boot c -drive
>>> file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
>>> -drive file=/dev/sr0,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=3 -net
>>> nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
>>> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none
>>> -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
>>>
>> And I try other disk type:
>> <disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
>> But that produces the same error.
>>
>> What else can I add in order to boot from cdrom?
>
> What does:
>
> md5sum /dev/sr0
>
> output?

DVD is Fedora 10 DVD (i386)

Four cases:

# desktop user; DVD unmounted
$ md5sum /dev/sr0
md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error

# desktop user; DVD mounted
$ md5sum /dev/sr0
ff311b322c894aabc4361c4e270f5a3f  /dev/sr0

# root user; DVD unmounted
$ md5sum /dev/sr0
md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error

# root user; DVD mounted
$ md5sum /dev/sr0
md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error

# 'ps' shows process is running as root:
root      7311  2927 99 13:08 ?        00:20:01 /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M
pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot c -drive
file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive

@ 2009-03-31 18:25                             ` Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2009-03-31 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

Gerry Reno schrieb:

>> What does:
>>
>> md5sum /dev/sr0
>>
>> output?
>>

> DVD is Fedora 10 DVD (i386)
>
> Four cases:
>
> # desktop user; DVD unmounted
> $ md5sum /dev/sr0
> md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error
>
> # desktop user; DVD mounted
> $ md5sum /dev/sr0
> ff311b322c894aabc4361c4e270f5a3f  /dev/sr0

Download the iso file to your disk and point kvm there.

It's the easiest to do; your problem is not really kvm-specific.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

* Re: KVM-74: HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 18:33                               ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Gerry Reno schrieb:
>
>>> What does:
>>>
>>> md5sum /dev/sr0
>>>
>>> output?
>>>

>> DVD is Fedora 10 DVD (i386)
>>
>> Four cases:
>>
>> # desktop user; DVD unmounted
>> $ md5sum /dev/sr0
>> md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error
>>
>> # desktop user; DVD mounted
>> $ md5sum /dev/sr0
>> ff311b322c894aabc4361c4e270f5a3f  /dev/sr0
>
> Download the iso file to your disk and point kvm there.
>
> It's the easiest to do; your problem is not really kvm-specific.

I'll try that but it seems as though the process being owned by root is
preventing the access to the cdrom.  So isn't that kvm?  Does libvirt
know this?  I mean never once have we been able to use the cdrom from
the VM.  Not just for this problem.  This seems to be some kind of
access problem.

@ 2009-03-31 18:53                                 ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>>> DVD is Fedora 10 DVD (i386)
>>>
>>> Four cases:
>>>
>>> # desktop user; DVD unmounted
>>> $ md5sum /dev/sr0
>>> md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error
>>>
>>> # desktop user; DVD mounted
>>> $ md5sum /dev/sr0
>>> ff311b322c894aabc4361c4e270f5a3f  /dev/sr0
>>
>> Download the iso file to your disk and point kvm there.
>>
>> It's the easiest to do; your problem is not really kvm-specific.
>>

> I'll try that but it seems as though the process being owned by root
> is preventing the access to the cdrom.  So isn't that kvm?  Does
> libvirt know this?  I mean never once have we been able to use the
> cdrom from the VM.  Not just for this problem.  This seems to be some
> kind of access problem.

Ok, using an F10 ISO file when get access denied error when trying to
define the domain.  So I did this:  chcon -t virt_image_t F10-ISO-FILE
and now the domain defines ok.  BUT, even then using the ISO file we
still get the same error message as always:
Boot Failure Code:  0003
Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
FATAL: No bootable device.

The host runs with SELinux targeted enforce.  So thinking this might be
an selinux issue I set 'setenforce 0' to put it into permissive mode but
it made no difference.  Still the same boot error.

@ 2009-03-31 19:11                                   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>>> Download the iso file to your disk and point kvm there.
>>>
>>> It's the easiest to do; your problem is not really kvm-specific.
>>>

>> I'll try that but it seems as though the process being owned by root
>> is preventing the access to the cdrom.  So isn't that kvm?  Does
>> libvirt know this?  I mean never once have we been able to use the
>> cdrom from the VM.  Not just for this problem.  This seems to be some
>> kind of access problem.
>>

> Ok, using an F10 ISO file when get access denied error when trying to
> define the domain.  So I did this:  chcon -t virt_image_t F10-ISO-FILE
> and now the domain defines ok.  BUT, even then using the ISO file we
> still get the same error message as always:
> Boot Failure Code:  0003
> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
> FATAL: No bootable device.
>

> The host runs with SELinux targeted enforce.  So thinking this might
> be an selinux issue I set 'setenforce 0' to put it into permissive
> mode but it made no difference.  Still the same boot error.
> Boot Failure Code:  0003
> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
> FATAL: No bootable device.

We even tried setting the 'hvm' boot device to be 'cdrom' and it
automatically tries to boot from the cdrom but it still gets the same
0003 error as before.

Is there no way to recovery this VM?  Seems like we fell into a trap
with no escape.

@ 2009-03-31 19:12                                   ` Javier Guerra
From: Javier Guerra @ 2009-03-31 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
> Boot Failure Code:  0003
> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
> FATAL: No bootable device.

your underlying problem is that you can't get libvirt to generate the
appropriate command line.  you really should take it to the libvirt
list

--
Javier

* Re: KVM-74: HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 19:13                                     ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Boot Failure Code:  0003
>> Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
>> FATAL: No bootable device.
>>

> your underlying problem is that you can't get libvirt to generate the
> appropriate command line.  you really should take it to the libvirt
> list

Ok, can you give me a command line that will work and then I'll take
that over to libvirt.

@ 2009-03-31 19:27                                       ` Javier Guerra
From: Javier Guerra @ 2009-03-31 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
> Javier Guerra wrote:
>>
>> your underlying problem is that you can't get libvirt to generate the
>> appropriate command line.  you really should take it to the libvirt
>> list
>>

> Ok, can you give me a command line that will work and then I'll take that
> over to libvirt.

try this:

/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot
d -drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
-cdrom /dev/sr0 -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net

@ 2009-03-31 22:52                                         ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Javier Guerra wrote:
>>
>>> your underlying problem is that you can't get libvirt to generate the
>>> appropriate command line.  you really should take it to the libvirt
>>> list
>>>

>> Ok, can you give me a command line that will work and then I'll take that
>> over to libvirt.
>>

> try this:
>
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot
> d -drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
> -cdrom /dev/sr0 -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
> -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us

Ok, I've been working with this for a couple hours but this command line
errors on F10 like this:

# /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot
d -drive
file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -cdrom
/dev/sr0 -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb
-vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
char device redirected to /dev/pts/2

What does this error mean?

@ 2009-03-31 22:59                                           ` Javier Guerra
From: Javier Guerra @ 2009-03-31 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:

> Ok, I've been working with this for a couple hours but this command line
> errors on F10 like this:
>
> # /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot d
> -drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
> -cdrom /dev/sr0 -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc
> 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
> TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
> char device redirected to /dev/pts/2
>
> What does this error mean?

ah, i didn't notice the "fd=17" in the "-net" parameter.

to make it simple, first try with userspace network:

qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3 -cdrom /dev/sr0
-boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1

--
Javier

* Re: KVM-74: HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 23:16                                             ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've been working with this for a couple hours but this command line
>> errors on F10 like this:
>>
>> # /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty -boot d
>> -drive file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
>> -cdrom /dev/sr0 -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
>> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc
>> 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
>> TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
>> char device redirected to /dev/pts/2
>>
>> What does this error mean?
>>

> ah, i didn't notice the "fd=17" in the "-net" parameter.
>
> to make it simple, first try with userspace network:
>
> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3 -cdrom /dev/sr0
> -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1

Ok, I ran this line:

qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img -cdrom
/dev/sr0 -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1:1

And it started the VM but I cannot connect to it for some reason.

The error:
$ vncviewer
Rect too big: 5x3584 at 10,0 exceeds 720x400

Have you ever seen this?
I don't know what's causing this but it seems like a really weird size.
I'm still working on this error...
Is there a way to tell vncviewer to connect anyway?

Regards,
Gerry

* Re: KVM-74: HELP PLEASE - cannot boot from cdrom for recovery
@ 2009-03-31 23:33                                               ` Gerry Reno
                                                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Javier Guerra wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I've been working with this for a couple hours but this command
>>> line
>>> errors on F10 like this:
>>>
>>> # /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -name MX_3 -monitor pty
>>> -boot d
>>> -drive
>>> file=/var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on
>>> -cdrom /dev/sr0 -net nic,macaddr=00:0c:29:e3:bc:ee,vlan=0 -net
>>> tap,fd=17,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -serial none -parallel none
>>> -usb -vnc
>>> 127.0.0.1:1 -k en-us
>>> TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
>>> char device redirected to /dev/pts/2
>>>
>>> What does this error mean?
>>>

>> ah, i didn't notice the "fd=17" in the "-net" parameter.
>>
>> to make it simple, first try with userspace network:
>>
>> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3 -cdrom /dev/sr0
>> -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1
>>

> Ok, I ran this line:
>
> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img -cdrom
> /dev/sr0 -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1:1
>
> And it started the VM but I cannot connect to it for some reason.
>
> The error:
> $ vncviewer
> Rect too big: 5x3584 at 10,0 exceeds 720x400
>
> Have you ever seen this?
> I don't know what's causing this but it seems like a really weird
> size.  I'm still working on this error... Is there a way to tell
> vncviewer to connect anyway?

Ok, the third try the window came up.  And it is showing the same 0003
error as before on the cdrom boot.
I have no clue what is causing this error.  I've turned off selinux,
I've made sure the disk is in drive and mounted.  There just seems to be
some access problem to the cdrom device from a root owned process.

@ 2009-03-31 23:41                                                 ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2009-03-31 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> Javier Guerra wrote:

>>> ah, i didn't notice the "fd=17" in the "-net" parameter.
>>>
>>> to make it simple, first try with userspace network:
>>>
>>> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3 -cdrom /dev/sr0
>>> -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1
>>>

>> Ok, I ran this line:
>>
>> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img -cdrom
>> /dev/sr0 -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1:1
>>
>> And it started the VM but I cannot connect to it for some reason.
>>
>> The error:
>> $ vncviewer
>> Rect too big: 5x3584 at 10,0 exceeds 720x400
>>
>> Have you ever seen this?
>> I don't know what's causing this but it seems like a really weird
>> size.  I'm still working on this error... Is there a way to tell
>> vncviewer to connect anyway?
>>
> Ok, the third try the window came up.  And it is showing the same 0003
> error as before on the cdrom boot.
> I have no clue what is causing this error.  I've turned off selinux,
> I've made sure the disk is in drive and mounted.  There just seems to
> be some access problem to the cdrom device from a root owned process.

Nope, it's not just root.  I tried as the desktop user and same result:

$ qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img -cdrom
/dev/sr0 -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1:1
open /dev/kvm: Permission denied
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

Console show:

@ 2009-04-01  0:06                                                 ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2009-04-01  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 18:33:41 Gerry Reno wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
> > Javier Guerra wrote:

> >> ah, i didn't notice the "fd=17" in the "-net" parameter.
> >>
> >> to make it simple, first try with userspace network:
> >>
> >> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3 -cdrom /dev/sr0
> >> -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1
> >
> > Ok, I ran this line:
> >
> > qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img -cdrom
> > /dev/sr0 -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1:1
> >
> > And it started the VM but I cannot connect to it for some reason.
> >
> > The error:
> > $ vncviewer
> > Rect too big: 5x3584 at 10,0 exceeds 720x400
> >
> > Have you ever seen this?
> > I don't know what's causing this but it seems like a really weird
> > size.  I'm still working on this error... Is there a way to tell
> > vncviewer to connect anyway?
>
> Ok, the third try the window came up.  And it is showing the same 0003
> error as before on the cdrom boot.
> I have no clue what is causing this error.  I've turned off selinux,
> I've made sure the disk is in drive and mounted.

The CD shouldn't be mounted. You just use /dev/cdrom or whatever as the option
to -cdrom. No prep needed (other than inserting the CD)

@ 2009-04-01  0:08                                                 ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2009-04-01  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: kvm

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 18:33:41 Gerry Reno wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
> > Javier Guerra wrote:

> >> ah, i didn't notice the "fd=17" in the "-net" parameter.
> >>
> >> to make it simple, first try with userspace network:
> >>
> >> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3 -cdrom /dev/sr0
> >> -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1
> >
> > Ok, I ran this line:
> >
> > qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/vm/vm1/qemu/images/MX_3/MX_3.img -cdrom
> > /dev/sr0 -boot d -vnc 127.0.0.1:1
> >
> > And it started the VM but I cannot connect to it for some reason.
> >
> > The error:
> > $ vncviewer
> > Rect too big: 5x3584 at 10,0 exceeds 720x400
> >
> > Have you ever seen this?
> > I don't know what's causing this but it seems like a really weird
> > size.  I'm still working on this error... Is there a way to tell
> > vncviewer to connect anyway?
>
> Ok, the third try the window came up.  And it is showing the same 0003
> error as before on the cdrom boot.
> I have no clue what is causing this error.  I've turned off selinux,
> I've made sure the disk is in drive and mounted.  There just seems to be
> some access problem to the cdrom device from a root owned process.

Also, you can try joining the IRC channel if you want more real time help.
There's usually a helpful enough bunch there.