* What kind of files are config.lnk and autoexec.lnk?
@ 2009-04-18  1:53 Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-18  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosemu

I installed dosemu 1.4.0.0 on my wife's new Kubuntu computer.

In ~/.dosemu/drive_c there is an autoexec.lnk and config.lnk file in
addition to the standard autoexec.bat and config.sys.  The .lnk files
are in /etc/dosemu/freedos/ as config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Apparently dosemu treats these files like Linux soft links and executes
them in preference to my own config.sys and autoexec.bat.

I need to load my config.sys and autoexec.bat settings.
What is the right way to do this?

Will dosemu even recognize config.sys and autoexec.bat if the .lnk files
are not present?

In my own instance of Kubuntu I simply did a copy and paste of the text
from  the .lnk files into config.sys and autoexec.bat and everything
works find.  The identical files do not work in my wife's case.

So I'm stymied and the spousal unit is peeved.

Larry Alkoff

* Re: What kind of files are config.lnk and autoexec.lnk?
@ 2009-04-18 17:13 ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-18 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosemu

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I installed dosemu 1.4.0.0 on my wife's new Kubuntu computer.
>
> In ~/.dosemu/drive_c there is an autoexec.lnk and config.lnk file in
> addition to the standard autoexec.bat and config.sys.  The .lnk files
> are in /etc/dosemu/freedos/ as config.sys and autoexec.bat.
>
> Apparently dosemu treats these files like Linux soft links and executes
> them in preference to my own config.sys and autoexec.bat.
>
> I need to load my config.sys and autoexec.bat settings.
> What is the right way to do this?
>
> Will dosemu even recognize config.sys and autoexec.bat if the .lnk files
> are not present?
>
> In my own instance of Kubuntu I simply did a copy and paste of the text
> from  the .lnk files into config.sys and autoexec.bat and everything
> works find.  The identical files do not work in my wife's case.
>
> So I'm stymied and the spousal unit is peeved.
>
> Larry Alkoff

In further experiments, I have found that config.sys and autoexec.bat in
~/.dosemu/drive_c is not executed.  It seems config.sys and autoexec.bat
in /etc/dosemu/freedos/ are being executed.  Are these the files I
should edit to make dosemu run the way I want?

Larry

* Re: What kind of files are config.lnk and autoexec.lnk?
@ 2009-04-18 20:20   ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2009-04-18 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Alkoff; +Cc: dosemu

2009/4/18 Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com>:
> In further experiments, I have found that config.sys and autoexec.bat in
> ~/.dosemu/drive_c is not executed.  It seems config.sys and autoexec.bat in
> /etc/dosemu/freedos/ are being executed.  Are these the files I should edit
> to make dosemu run the way I want?

I'm not sure where your .lnk files come from but:
have a look at ~/.dosemu/boot.log after running dosemu which directory
is used as drive C:
a line like:
device: /home/bart/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
in that case the config.sys file comes from ~/.dosemu/drives/c which
is normally set up as a symlink to ~/.dosemu/drive_c so that's indeed
where you should be looking.

However, in Debian/Ubuntu's DOSEMU (perhaps by accident) we have this:
/home/bart/.dosemu/drives:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users 26 avr 18 16:14 c -> /home/bart/.dosemu/drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users 23 avr 18 16:14 d -> /usr/lib/dosemu/drive_z

/home/bart/.dosemu/drive_c:
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users   32 avr 18 16:14 autoexec.bat ->
/etc/dosemu/freedos/autoexec.bat
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users   30 avr 18 16:14 config.sys ->
/etc/dosemu/freedos/config.sys
drwxrwxr-x 2 bart users 4096 avr 18 16:14 tmp

So config.sys is really a symlink to the file in /etc/dosemu/freedos.
But in dosemu installations from dosemu.org it's a writable file
*copied* from the system file so users can edit it in DOSEMU.

/home/bart/.dosemu/drive_c:
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 bart users  556 mai  6  2007 autoexec.bat
-rw-r--r-- 1 bart users  346 mai  6  2007 config.sys
drwxrwxr-x 2 bart users 4096 avr 18 16:16 tmp

So yes, either edit the /etc/dosemu/freedos files using a Linux editor
as root (but these affect all users!) or change the symlinks to
copies.

Bart

* Re: What kind of files are config.lnk and autoexec.lnk?
@ 2009-04-19  0:09     ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-19  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: dosemu

Bart Oldeman wrote:
> 2009/4/18 Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com>:
>> In further experiments, I have found that config.sys and autoexec.bat in
>> ~/.dosemu/drive_c is not executed.  It seems config.sys and autoexec.bat in
>> /etc/dosemu/freedos/ are being executed.  Are these the files I should edit
>> to make dosemu run the way I want?
>
> I'm not sure where your .lnk files come from but:
> have a look at ~/.dosemu/boot.log after running dosemu which directory
> is used as drive C:
> a line like:
> device: /home/bart/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
> in that case the config.sys file comes from ~/.dosemu/drives/c which
> is normally set up as a symlink to ~/.dosemu/drive_c so that's indeed
> where you should be looking.
>
> However, in Debian/Ubuntu's DOSEMU (perhaps by accident) we have this:
> /home/bart/.dosemu/drives:
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users 26 avr 18 16:14 c -> /home/bart/.dosemu/drive_c
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users 23 avr 18 16:14 d -> /usr/lib/dosemu/drive_z
>
> /home/bart/.dosemu/drive_c:
> total 4
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users   32 avr 18 16:14 autoexec.bat ->
> /etc/dosemu/freedos/autoexec.bat
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 bart users   30 avr 18 16:14 config.sys ->
> /etc/dosemu/freedos/config.sys
> drwxrwxr-x 2 bart users 4096 avr 18 16:14 tmp
>
> So config.sys is really a symlink to the file in /etc/dosemu/freedos.
> But in dosemu installations from dosemu.org it's a writable file
> *copied* from the system file so users can edit it in DOSEMU.
>
> /home/bart/.dosemu/drive_c:
> total 12
> -rw-r--r-- 1 bart users  556 mai  6  2007 autoexec.bat
> -rw-r--r-- 1 bart users  346 mai  6  2007 config.sys
> drwxrwxr-x 2 bart users 4096 avr 18 16:16 tmp
>
> So yes, either edit the /etc/dosemu/freedos files using a Linux editor
> as root (but these affect all users!) or change the symlinks to
> copies.
>
> Bart

Hello Bart.

Thanks very much for your help with dosemu.
I've been using dosemu for a few years through versions of Kubuntu with
no particular problems.  I set up my wife's computer in the same way and
same version, particularly as regards dosemu but they seem to be working
quite differently.

After much experimentation I proved that wife's dosemu will _only_ use
the config and autoexec files from freedos so I edited those files in
freedos directly as root (saving the originals of course).

This is not necessary in my dosemu which clearly uses the files in
~/.dosemu/drive_c.  Something has changed although both sign on as
version 1.4.0.0 and were obtained from the same distribution repository
(Kubuntu Hardy Heron LTS).

One other important thing has changed.  My version uses symlinks to
access important file directories, which works perfectly.  However, my
wife's computer does not seem to recognize symlinks at all.
Here is the difference in directories between hers and mine:

Hers:  BIN TMP CPI HELP APPINFO GNU NLS TMP
Mine:  BIN TMP                              INFO  INV  PF  PUBLIC
However BIN is different because her dosemu is not seeing the symlink.

Is there any way to get a more detailed version number besides the
sign-on message or to get information on what has changed?

Having to use config and autoexec in the root files is a minor annoyance
because they used to be 'safe' in /home which does not change when I
change versions.  However, not recognizing symlinks is a very big
problem for me.

Before I found out about the symlink problem (today) I was getting ready
to download the source to try and find out exactly how config and
autoexec are handled but my c skills are 20 years old and pretty rusty
<g>.

Any help you could give me would be gratefully appreciated.

Larry

* Re: What kind of files are config.lnk and autoexec.lnk?
@ 2009-04-19  2:11       ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-19  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: dosemu

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hers:  BIN TMP CPI HELP APPINFO GNU NLS TMP
> Mine:  BIN TMP                              INFO  INV  PF  PUBLIC
> However BIN is different because her dosemu is not seeing the symlink.
>
> Is there any way to get a more detailed version number besides the
> sign-on message or to get information on what has changed?
>
> Having to use config and autoexec in the root files is a minor annoyance
> because they used to be 'safe' in /home which does not change when I
> change versions.  However, not recognizing symlinks is a very big
> problem for me.
>
> Before I found out about the symlink problem (today) I was getting ready
> to download the source to try and find out exactly how config and
> autoexec are handled but my c skills are 20 years old and pretty rusty <g>.
>
> Any help you could give me would be gratefully appreciated.

My computer has this line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log
device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

and my wife has this different line
device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
device: /home/kna/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

What does this mean?

Larry

* How to specify where c drive lives?
@ 2009-04-20 16:19         ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-20 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: dosemu

My Kubuntu 8.04 LTS computer has the c: drive
in ~/.dosemu/drive_c with symlinks to the directories I
am interested in.  It works perfectly.

My computer has this line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

My wife has this different line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
device: /home/kna/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

Dosemu 1.4.0.0 seems to be ignoring the setup and symlinks in
~/.dosemu/drive_c.

My wife's and my computer use the same version of Kubuntu with the same
repositories so they should be exactly the same but they are not.

How can I set dosemu to use ~/.dosemu/drive_c as my c: drive?

@ 2009-04-20 16:23         ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: dosemu, freedos-user

My Kubuntu 8.04 LTS computer has the c: drive
in ~/.dosemu/drive_c with symlinks to the directories I
am interested in.  It works perfectly.

My computer has this line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

My wife has this different line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
device: /home/kna/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

Dosemu 1.4.0.0 seems to be ignoring the setup and symlinks in
~/.dosemu/drive_c.

My wife's and my computer use the same version of Kubuntu with the same
repositories so they should be exactly the same but they are not.

How can I set dosemu to use ~/.dosemu/drive_c as my c: drive?

Larry

Sorry for the duplicate message.  I forgot to include freedos-user in
the cc: list.

Larry

* Re: How to specify where c drive lives?
@ 2009-04-20 16:27           ` Ivan Baldo
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2009-04-20 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Alkoff; +Cc: dosemu, freedos-user

    Look at your  ~/.dosemurc files, are they the same?
    HTH.

El 20/04/09 13:23, Larry Alkoff escribió:
> My Kubuntu 8.04 LTS computer has the c: drive
> in ~/.dosemu/drive_c with symlinks to the directories I
> am interested in.  It works perfectly.
>
> My computer has this line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
> device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
> device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
>
> My wife has this different line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
> device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
> device: /home/kna/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
>
> Dosemu 1.4.0.0 seems to be ignoring the setup and symlinks in
> ~/.dosemu/drive_c.
>
> My wife's and my computer use the same version of Kubuntu with the same
> repositories so they should be exactly the same but they are not.
>
> How can I set dosemu to use ~/.dosemu/drive_c as my c: drive?
>
> Larry
>

> Sorry for the duplicate message.  I forgot to include freedos-user in
> the cc: list.
>
> Larry

Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.
Freelance programmer and GNU/Linux system administrator, hire me!
Alternatives: ibaldo@codigolibre.net - http://go.to/ibaldo

* Re: How to specify where c drive lives?
@ 2009-04-20 16:46           ` Samuel Bronson
From: Samuel Bronson @ 2009-04-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Alkoff; +Cc: Bart Oldeman, dosemu, freedos-user

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
> My Kubuntu 8.04 LTS computer has the c: drive
> in ~/.dosemu/drive_c with symlinks to the directories I
> am interested in.  It works perfectly.
>
> My computer has this line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
> device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
> device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
>
> My wife has this different line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
> device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
> device: /home/kna/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
>
> Dosemu 1.4.0.0 seems to be ignoring the setup and symlinks in
> ~/.dosemu/drive_c.

... but do you both have the same things in ~/.dosemu/drives?

* Re: How to specify where c drive lives?
@ 2009-04-20 16:53             ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-20 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Baldo; +Cc: dosemu, freedos-user

Ivan Baldo wrote:
>    Look at your  ~/.dosemurc files, are they the same?
>    HTH.

Yes they are exactly the same.

Larry

@ 2009-04-20 17:08             ` Larry Alkoff
From: Larry Alkoff @ 2009-04-20 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Bronson; +Cc: Bart Oldeman, dosemu, freedos-user

Samuel Bronson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> My Kubuntu 8.04 LTS computer has the c: drive
>> in ~/.dosemu/drive_c with symlinks to the directories I
>> am interested in.  It works perfectly.
>>
>> My computer has this line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
>> device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
>> device: /home/lba/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
>>
>> My wife has this different line in ~/.dosemu/boot.log:
>> device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
>> device: /home/kna/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
>>
>> Dosemu 1.4.0.0 seems to be ignoring the setup and symlinks in
>> ~/.dosemu/drive_c.
>
> ... but do you both have the same things in ~/.dosemu/drives?

Hello Samuel.

Looks like I just did a dumb thing - again!

The soft line in ~/.dosemu/drives said:
   c -> /home/me/.dosemu/drive_c
instead of
   c -> /home/her/.dosemu/drive_c

and my eye must just have just glazed over the error.

Thank you for making me look closer.

Larry Alkoff