* weighting factor?
@ 2009-04-21 17:43 Darlene D Choontanom
From: Darlene D Choontanom @ 2009-04-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: autofs

Hi, all--

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but I'm running into
issues with a shared NIS auto.home file we're trying to stand up between
two remote sites.  My clients are a mixture of Solaris and RHEL 3 & 4
machines.  A sample entry in question reads:

foo     thisserver:/export/home4/& \
        thatserver:/export/home10/&

The Sun clients work fine, automounting the server closest to them
geographically.  The Linux boxes, however, all seem to want to mount
"thatserver", regardless of how far the distance is between them.  I tried
weighting them:

foo     thisserver(1):/export/home4/& \
        thatserver(9):/export/home10/&

But while that seems to work okay for some of my RHEL boxes, it doesn't
seem to get recognized on others.  I'd like to try to restart the
automounter on the non-working clients, but since they're all in
production, it'll be a little tricky if I don't want to impact my users.

Is this a known problem, or is there a fix?  The weighting factor really
will only fix the clients closest to "thisserver" ; I'd rather not force
the clients close to "thatserver" to have to go to a remote box if there's
a closer one they should be mounting, instead.

Thanks--
Darlene

---
dchoontanom@raytheon.com                                        Raytheon
Company
310.334.5478

* Re: weighting factor?
@ 2009-04-23  6:34 ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2009-04-23  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlene D Choontanom; +Cc: autofs

Darlene D Choontanom wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but I'm running into
> issues with a shared NIS auto.home file we're trying to stand up between
> two remote sites.  My clients are a mixture of Solaris and RHEL 3 & 4
> machines.  A sample entry in question reads:

This won't work how you want in RHEL-3 but should work in reasonably
recent versions of autofs on RHEL-4.