* new atusb firmware candidate
@ 2017-09-25 13:35 Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2017-09-25 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan - ML

Hi,

according to qi-hardware irc channel, I got notice about this transceivers [0].
Maybe a new atusb candidate? Or maybe they already use a non-upstream
implementation? :-)

Prices are okay (better than the very expensive one from atmel).

[0] https://freaklabs.org/freakusb/

* Re: new atusb firmware candidate
@ 2017-09-26  9:26 ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2017-09-26  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan - ML

Hello.

On 09/25/2017 03:35 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to qi-hardware irc channel, I got notice about this transceivers [0].
> Maybe a new atusb candidate? Or maybe they already use a non-upstream
> implementation? :-)

Looking at their manual they are focuses on delivering a Arduino compatible solution.

> Prices are okay (better than the very expensive one from atmel).

Prices are good and they are still available.

I had a quick look at their schematics in the user manuals:
http://freaklabsstore.com/pub/FREAKUSB-900MHz%20v1.1%20Datasheet.pdf
http://freaklabsstore.com/pub/FREAKUSB-2.4GHZ%20v1.1a%20Datasheet.pdf

They use the at86rf231 and at86rf212 transceivers (I still hope for a 215 device)

The problem I see is that USB is connected to a FTDI usb serial bridge chip instead directly to the Atmel MCU.

I have no idea if the FTDI can be swichted into a passthrough mode. If that is the case re-using the existing atusb firmware and USB
protocol to the kernel driver should not be to hard for someone interested.

If the passthrough is not possible and the whole communication protocol has to go over the serial line that would be significant more work.
Adapting the protocol over a serial line, adapting firmware and adapting the kernel driver.

Doable, but significantly more work compared to say the hulusb support in ATUSB which have been added recently.

If someone wants to poke at this I would be happy to give some guidance.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: new atusb firmware candidate
@ 2017-09-26 12:07   ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2017-09-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: linux-wpan - ML

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:26 AM, Stefan Schmidt <stefan@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 09/25/2017 03:35 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> according to qi-hardware irc channel, I got notice about this transceivers [0].
>> Maybe a new atusb candidate? Or maybe they already use a non-upstream
>> implementation? :-)
>
> Looking at their manual they are focuses on delivering a Arduino compatible solution.
>
>> Prices are okay (better than the very expensive one from atmel).
>
> Prices are good and they are still available.
>
> I had a quick look at their schematics in the user manuals:
> http://freaklabsstore.com/pub/FREAKUSB-900MHz%20v1.1%20Datasheet.pdf
> http://freaklabsstore.com/pub/FREAKUSB-2.4GHZ%20v1.1a%20Datasheet.pdf
>
> They use the at86rf231 and at86rf212 transceivers (I still hope for a 215 device)
>
> The problem I see is that USB is connected to a FTDI usb serial bridge chip instead directly to the Atmel MCU.
>
> I have no idea if the FTDI can be swichted into a passthrough mode. If that is the case re-using the existing atusb firmware and USB
> protocol to the kernel driver should not be to hard for someone interested.
>
> If the passthrough is not possible and the whole communication protocol has to go over the serial line that would be significant more work.
> Adapting the protocol over a serial line, adapting firmware and adapting the kernel driver.

I see, yes it sounds for me like bring back the serial protocol [0].
Also bluetooth has a lot of uart connected transceiver... but serial
over bus protocol is specified by bluetooth...

Next time I need to look deeper into it, just saw MCU and USB
connector... it's bad that the USB feature is for UART only... I
lookup the MCU datasheet, the USB doesn't has any USB support. :-(

Serial protocol driver is of course more work but also another
possibility to write a Contiki/RIOT/*zephyr* app to use these
operating systems as a firmware to access transceivers.

- Alex

[0] https://github.com/linux-wpan/ieee802154-serial-protocol-version2/blob/master/ieee802154-serial-protocol-2.md

* Re: new atusb firmware candidate
@ 2017-09-27  8:37     ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2017-09-27  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan - ML

Hello.

On 09/26/2017 02:07 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:26 AM, Stefan Schmidt <stefan@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On 09/25/2017 03:35 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> according to qi-hardware irc channel, I got notice about this transceivers [0].
>>> Maybe a new atusb candidate? Or maybe they already use a non-upstream
>>> implementation? :-)
>>
>> Looking at their manual they are focuses on delivering a Arduino compatible solution.
>>
>>> Prices are okay (better than the very expensive one from atmel).
>>
>> Prices are good and they are still available.
>>
>> I had a quick look at their schematics in the user manuals:
>> http://freaklabsstore.com/pub/FREAKUSB-900MHz%20v1.1%20Datasheet.pdf
>> http://freaklabsstore.com/pub/FREAKUSB-2.4GHZ%20v1.1a%20Datasheet.pdf
>>
>> They use the at86rf231 and at86rf212 transceivers (I still hope for a 215 device)
>>
>> The problem I see is that USB is connected to a FTDI usb serial bridge chip instead directly to the Atmel MCU.
>>
>> I have no idea if the FTDI can be swichted into a passthrough mode. If that is the case re-using the existing atusb firmware and USB
>> protocol to the kernel driver should not be to hard for someone interested.
>>
>> If the passthrough is not possible and the whole communication protocol has to go over the serial line that would be significant more work.
>> Adapting the protocol over a serial line, adapting firmware and adapting the kernel driver.
>>

> I see, yes it sounds for me like bring back the serial protocol [0].
> Also bluetooth has a lot of uart connected transceiver... but serial
> over bus protocol is specified by bluetooth...
>
> Next time I need to look deeper into it, just saw MCU and USB
> connector... it's bad that the USB feature is for UART only... I
> lookup the MCU datasheet, the USB doesn't has any USB support. :-(
>
> Serial protocol driver is of course more work but also another
> possibility to write a Contiki/RIOT/*zephyr* app to use these
> operating systems as a firmware to access transceivers.

Yeah, it basically brings back the old host controller interface (HCI) discussion we had before.

> [0] https://github.com/linux-wpan/ieee802154-serial-protocol-version2/blob/master/ieee802154-serial-protocol-2.md

This could indeed be a good start. If someone wants to work on a generic protocol and mainline serial driver I would be all ears.

regards
Stefan Schmidt