* "Use slab_build_skb() instead" deprecation warning triggered by tg3
@ 2023-08-18  8:05 Fiona Ebner
From: Fiona Ebner @ 2023-08-18  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: siva.kallam, prashant, mchan, davem, edumazet, kuba, pabeni,
	richardcochran, jdelvare, Guenter Roeck, netdev, linux-hwmon,
	keescook

Hi,
we've got a user report about the WARN_ONCE introduced by ce098da1497c
("skbuff: Introduce slab_build_skb()") [0]. The stack trace indicates
that the call comes from the tg3 module. While this is still kernel 6.2
and I can't verify that the issue is still there with newer kernels, I
don't see related changes in drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.* after
ce098da1497c, so I thought I should let you know.

[0]: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/132338/

Best Regards,
Fiona

* Re: "Use slab_build_skb() instead" deprecation warning triggered by tg3
@ 2023-08-18 11:12 ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-08-18 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fiona Ebner, linux-kernel
  Cc: siva.kallam, prashant, mchan, davem, edumazet, kuba, pabeni,
	richardcochran, jdelvare, Guenter Roeck, netdev, linux-hwmon,
	keescook, Linux Regressions

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 10:05:11AM +0200, Fiona Ebner wrote:
> Hi,
> we've got a user report about the WARN_ONCE introduced by ce098da1497c
> ("skbuff: Introduce slab_build_skb()") [0]. The stack trace indicates
> that the call comes from the tg3 module. While this is still kernel 6.2
> and I can't verify that the issue is still there with newer kernels, I
> don't see related changes in drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.* after
> ce098da1497c, so I thought I should let you know.

Thanks for the regression report. I'm adding it to regzbot:

#regzbot ^introduced: ce098da1497c6d
#regzbot link: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/132338/

PS: The proxmox forum link (except full dmesg log pasted there) is in
German, so someone fluent in the language can be helpful here.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: "Use slab_build_skb() instead" deprecation warning triggered by tg3
@ 2023-08-18 11:22   ` Fiona Ebner
From: Fiona Ebner @ 2023-08-18 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya, linux-kernel
  Cc: siva.kallam, prashant, mchan, davem, edumazet, kuba, pabeni,

Am 18.08.23 um 13:12 schrieb Bagas Sanjaya:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 10:05:11AM +0200, Fiona Ebner wrote:
>> Hi,
>> we've got a user report about the WARN_ONCE introduced by ce098da1497c
>> ("skbuff: Introduce slab_build_skb()") [0]. The stack trace indicates
>> that the call comes from the tg3 module. While this is still kernel 6.2
>> and I can't verify that the issue is still there with newer kernels, I
>> don't see related changes in drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.* after
>> ce098da1497c, so I thought I should let you know.
>>

> Thanks for the regression report. I'm adding it to regzbot:
>
> #regzbot ^introduced: ce098da1497c6d
> #regzbot link: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/132338/
>
> PS: The proxmox forum link (except full dmesg log pasted there) is in
> German, so someone fluent in the language can be helpful here.

At the moment, there is not much other text: The user says that they got
the trace after a recent upgrade, but cannot notice any real problems
and I'm telling them that it's a deprecation warning and that I reported
it upstream. If I should ask for some specific information, please let
me know :) But not sure if more information from the user is even
required here or if the fix will just be similar to the one in
8c495270845d ("bnx2x: use the right build_skb() helper").

@ 2023-08-18 17:37   ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2023-08-18 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya
  Cc: Fiona Ebner, linux-kernel, siva.kallam, prashant, mchan, davem,
	edumazet, kuba, pabeni, richardcochran, jdelvare, Guenter Roeck,
	netdev, linux-hwmon, Linux Regressions

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 06:12:33PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 10:05:11AM +0200, Fiona Ebner wrote:
> > Hi,
> > we've got a user report about the WARN_ONCE introduced by ce098da1497c
> > ("skbuff: Introduce slab_build_skb()") [0]. The stack trace indicates
> > that the call comes from the tg3 module. While this is still kernel 6.2
> > and I can't verify that the issue is still there with newer kernels, I
> > don't see related changes in drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.* after
> > ce098da1497c, so I thought I should let you know.
> >

> Thanks for the regression report. I'm adding it to regzbot:
>
> #regzbot ^introduced: ce098da1497c6d
> #regzbot link: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/132338/
>
> PS: The proxmox forum link (except full dmesg log pasted there) is in
> German, so someone fluent in the language can be helpful here.

Since this doesn't cause a behavioral regression, should it be tracked
by regzbot? The WARN is serving as a reminder to the maintainer to
adjust the allocation method.

--
Kees Cook