* KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 10:30 Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2009-05-05 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sheng Yang; +Cc: Avi Kivity, Marcelo Tosatti, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

The new KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY ioctls have
been merged for 2.6.30. However, I note that PCI spec allows devices to
support multiple vectors with MSI as well (support will be in linux
2.6.30).

Even though qemu for now only uses a single vector with MSI, it would
seem that it's better to make the kernel/user interface generic straight
away rather than add more ioctls later. What do you think? It might not
be too late to fix this for 2.6.30.

--
MST

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 11:04 ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2009-05-05 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Sheng Yang, Avi Kivity, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:30:28PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> The new KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY ioctls have
> been merged for 2.6.30. However, I note that PCI spec allows devices to
> support multiple vectors with MSI as well (support will be in linux
> 2.6.30).
>
> Even though qemu for now only uses a single vector with MSI, it would
> seem that it's better to make the kernel/user interface generic straight
> away rather than add more ioctls later. What do you think? It might not
> be too late to fix this for 2.6.30.

Can't you use more than one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY call per assigned
device?

If you can't, it would be better to change the ioctls before 2.6.30 is
release IMO.

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 11:08   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2009-05-05 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: Sheng Yang, Avi Kivity, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:04:15AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:30:28PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > The new KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY ioctls have
> > been merged for 2.6.30. However, I note that PCI spec allows devices to
> > support multiple vectors with MSI as well (support will be in linux
> > 2.6.30).
> >
> > Even though qemu for now only uses a single vector with MSI, it would
> > seem that it's better to make the kernel/user interface generic straight
> > away rather than add more ioctls later. What do you think? It might not
> > be too late to fix this for 2.6.30.
>
> Can't you use more than one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY call per assigned
> device?

Sure, but only one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR.

--

@ 2009-05-05 11:29 ` Gregory Haskins
From: Gregory Haskins @ 2009-05-05 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Sheng Yang, Avi Kivity, Marcelo Tosatti, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> The new KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY ioctls have
> been merged for 2.6.30. However, I note that PCI spec allows devices to
> support multiple vectors with MSI as well (support will be in linux
> 2.6.30).
>
> Even though qemu for now only uses a single vector with MSI, it would
> seem that it's better to make the kernel/user interface generic straight
> away rather than add more ioctls later. What do you think? It might not
> be too late to fix this for 2.6.30.

+1

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 11:57     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-05-05 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Sheng Yang, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:04:15AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:30:28PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>
>>> The new KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY ioctls have
>>> been merged for 2.6.30. However, I note that PCI spec allows devices to
>>> support multiple vectors with MSI as well (support will be in linux
>>> 2.6.30).
>>>
>>> Even though qemu for now only uses a single vector with MSI, it would
>>> seem that it's better to make the kernel/user interface generic straight
>>> away rather than add more ioctls later. What do you think? It might not
>>> be too late to fix this for 2.6.30.
>>>
>> Can't you use more than one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY call per assigned
>> device?
>>

> Sure, but only one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR.

MSIX_NR is the size of the table, while MSIX_ENTRY updates a single
entry, if I read the code correctly.

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 12:01       ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2009-05-05 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Sheng Yang, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 02:57:10PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> Can't you use more than one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY call per assigned
>>> device?
>>>

>> Sure, but only one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR.
>>

> MSIX_NR is the size of the table, while MSIX_ENTRY updates a single
> entry, if I read the code correctly.

Right. So we'll need something like this for MSI as well.
Actually maybe MSIX_NR MSIX_ENTRY should be renamed to MSI_NR / MSI_ENTRY
and changed to do the right thing depending on the IRQ type?

--
MST

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 12:08         ` Avi Kivity
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-05-05 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Sheng Yang, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 02:57:10PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> Sure, but only one KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR.
>>>

>> MSIX_NR is the size of the table, while MSIX_ENTRY updates a single
>> entry, if I read the code correctly.
>>

> Right. So we'll need something like this for MSI as well.
> Actually maybe MSIX_NR MSIX_ENTRY should be renamed to MSI_NR / MSI_ENTRY
> and changed to do the right thing depending on the IRQ type?

Works for me.  Sheng, is there a reason why it wasn't done like this?

btw, it could be further simplified by using irqfd.  Instead of the host
device tying directly into kvm, it could just trigger an eventfd; and we
could terminate the eventfd either in kvm (irqfd) or in qemu.

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-05 12:39           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2009-05-05 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Sheng Yang, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 03:08:40PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> MSIX_NR is the size of the table, while MSIX_ENTRY updates a single
>>> entry, if I read the code correctly.
>>>

>> Right. So we'll need something like this for MSI as well.
>> Actually maybe MSIX_NR MSIX_ENTRY should be renamed to MSI_NR / MSI_ENTRY
>> and changed to do the right thing depending on the IRQ type?
>>

> Works for me.  Sheng, is there a reason why it wasn't done like this?
>
> btw, it could be further simplified by using irqfd.  Instead of the host
> device tying directly into kvm, it could just trigger an eventfd; and we
> could terminate the eventfd either in kvm (irqfd) or in qemu.

This probably is outside the scope for 2.6.30 :)

--

@ 2009-05-05 12:57           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2009-05-05 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Sheng Yang, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 03:08:40PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> MSIX_NR is the size of the table, while MSIX_ENTRY updates a single
>>> entry, if I read the code correctly.
>>>

>> Right. So we'll need something like this for MSI as well.
>> Actually maybe MSIX_NR MSIX_ENTRY should be renamed to MSI_NR / MSI_ENTRY
>> and changed to do the right thing depending on the IRQ type?
>>

> Works for me.  Sheng, is there a reason why it wasn't done like this?
>
> btw, it could be further simplified by using irqfd.  Instead of the host
> device tying directly into kvm, it could just trigger an eventfd; and we
> could terminate the eventfd either in kvm (irqfd) or in qemu.

If you are going wild, you could then split this code out from kvm
into something like a UIO driver. E.g. qemu could then in theory
support assigned devices even without VT-d hardware support in CPU.

--

@ 2009-05-05 13:30             ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-05-05 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Sheng Yang, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> Works for me.  Sheng, is there a reason why it wasn't done like this?
>>
>> btw, it could be further simplified by using irqfd.  Instead of the host
>> device tying directly into kvm, it could just trigger an eventfd; and we
>> could terminate the eventfd either in kvm (irqfd) or in qemu.
>>

> If you are going wild, you could then split this code out from kvm
> into something like a UIO driver. E.g. qemu could then in theory
> support assigned devices even without VT-d hardware support in CPU.

That's my thinking.  PCI interrupts don't work because we need to do
some hacky stuff in there, but MSI should.  Oh, and we could improve UIO
support for interrupts when using MSI, since there's no need to
acknowledge the interrupt.

Support we can tell the kernel to signal an eventfd whenever an MSI
fires.  We then ask kvm for an irqfd, and give that irqfd to the kernel
for the MSI.

Voila, we assign an interrupt from userspace, without the device or kvm
knowing anything about it.  Like you say, we can assign the device to
pure qemu, or to a userspace driver.

Beautiful, I finally found something to replace my old Lego set.

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-06  3:11           ` Sheng Yang
From: Sheng Yang @ 2009-05-06  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Michael S. Tsirkin, Marcelo Tosatti, Matthew Wilcox, kvm

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 20:08:40 Avi Kivity wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

Well, one question: when did them merged? IIRC, MSI-X related things are still
pending for 2.6.31... :)

> >> MSIX_NR is the size of the table, while MSIX_ENTRY updates a single
> >> entry, if I read the code correctly.
> >
> > Right. So we'll need something like this for MSI as well.
> > Actually maybe MSIX_NR MSIX_ENTRY should be renamed to MSI_NR / MSI_ENTRY
> > and changed to do the right thing depending on the IRQ type?
>
> Works for me.  Sheng, is there a reason why it wasn't done like this?

No, I think it's fine. Also some related structure should be modified. And one
flag field should be add to kvm_assigned_msix_nr and
kvm_assigned_msix_entry(using padding ones) to indicate the interrupt type,
for we can't determined the irq type by device's status at that time.

--
regards
Yang, Sheng

* Re: KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY should support MSI?
@ 2009-05-20  8:48   ` Sheng Yang
From: Sheng Yang @ 2009-05-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm
  Cc: Gregory Haskins, Michael S. Tsirkin, Avi Kivity, Marcelo Tosatti,
	Matthew Wilcox

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 19:29:14 Gregory Haskins wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > The new KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_NR and KVM_ASSIGN_SET_MSIX_ENTRY ioctls have
> > been merged for 2.6.30. However, I note that PCI spec allows devices to
> > support multiple vectors with MSI as well (support will be in linux
> > 2.6.30).
> >
> > Even though qemu for now only uses a single vector with MSI, it would
> > seem that it's better to make the kernel/user interface generic straight
> > away rather than add more ioctls later. What do you think? It might not
> > be too late to fix this for 2.6.30.
>
> +1

Hi

Sorry for I don't have time to work at it recently... And Avi's review
patchset reminded me the merge for 2.6.31 would be soon. Anyone have
interesting to get this done?

Thanks!

--
regards