* Guest OS cannot detect keystrokes/mouse clicks after system_reset
@ 2009-05-20  9:55 Sachin Sant
From: Sachin Sant @ 2009-05-20  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm; +Cc: pavan, pradeepkumars

I used system_reset command from QEMU prompt with a SLES 11
Guest. After a reset the guest came up fine with the exception
that neither key strokes nor mouse click worked.

Host OS Info :
CPU Model 	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz

KVM Version :
kvm-84

Host Kernel :
uname -a
Linux mx3850m2 2.6.30-rc6-git4 #2 SMP Tue May 19 17:44:37 IST 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Guest Type :
Linux SuSE Linux Enterprise 11

Qemu Command Used :
qemu-system-x86_64 -hda sles11.img -m 512

Let me know if any other information is required.

Thanks
-Sachin

--

---------------------------------
Sachin Sant

* Re: Guest OS cannot detect keystrokes/mouse clicks after system_reset
@ 2009-05-20 10:12 ` Mark McLoughlin
From: Mark McLoughlin @ 2009-05-20 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sachin Sant; +Cc: kvm, pavan, pradeepkumars

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 15:25 +0530, Sachin Sant wrote:

> I used system_reset command from QEMU prompt with a SLES 11
> Guest. After a reset the guest came up fine with the exception
> that neither key strokes nor mouse click worked.
>
> Host OS Info :
> CPU Model       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
>
> KVM Version :
> kvm-84
>
> Host Kernel :
> uname -a
> Linux mx3850m2 2.6.30-rc6-git4 #2 SMP Tue May 19 17:44:37 IST 2009
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The version of libSDL that you are using is probably important too.

Cheers,
Mark.

* Re: Guest OS cannot detect keystrokes/mouse clicks after system_reset
@ 2009-05-20 10:25   ` Sachin Sant
From: Sachin Sant @ 2009-05-20 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark McLoughlin; +Cc: kvm, pavan, pradeepkumars

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 15:25 +0530, Sachin Sant wrote:
>
>> I used system_reset command from QEMU prompt with a SLES 11
>> Guest. After a reset the guest came up fine with the exception
>> that neither key strokes nor mouse click worked.
>>
>> Host OS Info :
>> CPU Model       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
>>
>> KVM Version :
>> kvm-84
>>
>> Host Kernel :
>> uname -a
>> Linux mx3850m2 2.6.30-rc6-git4 #2 SMP Tue May 19 17:44:37 IST 2009
>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>

> The version of libSDL that you are using is probably important too.
SDL Version is : 1.2.13

SDL-1.2.13-104.32
SDL-devel-1.2.13-104.32

Thanks
-Sachin

--

---------------------------------

@ 2009-06-09  7:12     ` Poornima B N
From: Poornima B N @ 2009-06-09  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sachin Sant; +Cc: Mark McLoughlin, kvm, pavan, pradeepkumars

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Sachin Sant <sachinp@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 15:25 +0530, Sachin Sant wrote:
>>

>>> I used system_reset command from QEMU prompt with a SLES 11
>>> Guest. After a reset the guest came up fine with the exception
>>> that neither key strokes nor mouse click worked.
>>>
>>> Host OS Info :
>>> CPU Model       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
>>>
>>> KVM Version :
>>> kvm-84
>>>
>>> Host Kernel :
>>> uname -a
>>> Linux mx3850m2 2.6.30-rc6-git4 #2 SMP Tue May 19 17:44:37 IST 2009
>>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>

>> The version of libSDL that you are using is probably important too.
>
> SDL Version is : 1.2.13
>
> SDL-1.2.13-104.32
> SDL-devel-1.2.13-104.32
>
> Thanks
> -Sachin

Problem is specific to SLES11 guests as it works fine on other guests like
RedHat and Fedora.  We can get around the problem by using '-no-kvm'
option.  Any clues as to how to debug such guest specific problems?

Regards,
Poornima.

* Re: Guest OS cannot detect keystrokes/mouse clicks after system_reset
@ 2009-06-09  8:28       ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-06-09  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poornima B N; +Cc: Sachin Sant, Mark McLoughlin, kvm, pavan, pradeepkumars

Poornima B N wrote:

> Problem is specific to SLES11 guests as it works fine on other guests like
> RedHat and Fedora.  We can get around the problem by using '-no-kvm'
> option.  Any clues as to how to debug such guest specific problems?

Try using -kernel and -initrd to load the kernel directly.  Maybe the
SLES boot loader screws things up.